Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:33 AM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Legalize drugs.
No thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 09:34 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrokeith View Post
As someone noted earlier, the job of police officer seems to draw more ___than most other jobs, or maybe it's the one job where people seem to excuse it more often than not.
If you are a bully, being a cop has to be the perfect job.

Last edited by linicx; 02-16-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 04:44 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
They say people just want the cops out of their hair and hate having to deal with them -- until the one day they need a cop. An intruder breaks into their house or someone mugs them. Then the cop is their hero and they want them there as quickly as possible.
Actually, I think most people I know are realistic enough to know that a cop's not going to do much for you after you've been held up or burgled. Yeah, when I've been a victim of crime in the past I've called the police, but mostly because you need a police report to claim the loss on your insurance. I don't really expect them to be able to catch the perp and I definitely don't hero worship them for showing up.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Scenario #1: I witness a car accident. The more interesting part is, I also witness the driver and passenger of the car at fault switching places. When an officer arrives on the scene, I tell her about this. She doesn't seem to care. When I try to make sure she clearly understands what happened, she snaps back, "Fine, why don't you be the cop and fill out the report?" Sure, that'd be be super if it meant I got to carry a pistol around. If not, then ___. That'll teach me to try to lend a hand to law enforcement.

Scenario #2: My wife is driving down a narrow street that should be one-way (as in, even small cars can barely squeeze by each other) but isn't. Fortunately, a lot of cars on that street clear out during the day, leaving ample gaps for one vehicle to pull over to the curb so that the other can pass. That is, unless you're a cop. Then you can just sit there like a stubborn assface even though you have a whole bus-length gap you can pull into so that my wife can pass. But instead you wanted to show her who's boss and what's what, so you made her back up about 80 feet to the end of the block instead of just pulling over to let her pass. But hey, at least you didn't get liquored up beat the ever-loving ___ out of her behind a bar, so congratulations on exercising at least that much self-restraint.

Are these terrible abuses of power that shattered our illusions that officers are here to protect and serve? No. Do incidents like this reinforce the stereotype of cop as power-tripping, overgrown hall monitors with guns and the willingness to make up any reason to haul you into the station just to disrupt your day? Why yes. Yes they do.

So officer, the next time you wonder why relations between you and the public are frequently strained, ask yourself if you're one of the mooks who loves to show people who's in charge just for the hell of it. Then you might get the answer to your question.
How many CPD officers are there on the payroll? You have a few minor, negative experiences and youre painting the whole PD negatively? Just like everything else in life, there's good and bad. Sure there are bad cops who dont make good examples, but there are plenty out there who would risk a bullet to protect you. Think about that.

Last edited by linicx; 02-16-2010 at 06:59 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 06:05 PM

527 posts, read 1,244,576 times
Default wow

Johnny,

Open your ears. This comment is fairly "thick-headed". I personally have had two run-ins with dirty cops in Chicago already in my own life. Fortunately for me my posterity beats a uniform. Both run ins were truly dirty cops who were willing to make things up, do favors for the wrong people, and generally whatever keeps them in their lifestyle the easiest way possible.

We don't need more cops, we need more teachers...

That being said God bless the cops that actually do their job!

[quote=Johnny Northside;12845049]Boo MOD CUT hoo.

Scenario #1: As the only witness to the driver-passenger switcheroo, would you be willing to take time off work to go to court in the highly unlikely event that this "major crime" resulted in court proceedings? That's what the cop is thinking -- you're just an armchair detective, and the chances that your "eyewitness" revelation will

Old 02-14-2010, 08:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Fair enough. I just think the CPD gets too much crap. Theyre hardened from all the crap they deal with on a daily basis. Some of em might be rude, but they deserve a little credit, cmon.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:02 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
I just remembered a story that I have to add to this:

One night about a year ago, me and three of my friends were trespassing on a playground at about 10:30 PM, which we weren't aware of. A police car rolls up, two officers come out and tells us we were shouldn't be in there. They weren't too bad, they took down our information and gave us a talk about how dangerous it was to be outside at night around there (whatever). Then they told us that we wouldn't get a ticket for the offense.

Three months later, we all get tickets in the mail. They all had $500 late payment fees on top of the original $25 fine because none of us got the tickets on time, because all four were mailed to addresses that were similar to ours but with numbers that were off by a few. We had to go to court to fight the extra fine and ended up paying $60 each for the offense. Later, we took a closer look at the photocopies of the tickets and noticed that each of our tickets had a signature that wasn't ours. I tried making some calls to see if I could do something about it but I figured there wasn't a way to prove that they were faked, and it was hard to justify fighting over a $60 fine that we deserved.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:04 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Fair enough. I just think the CPD gets too much crap. Theyre hardened from all the crap they deal with on a daily basis. Some of em might be rude, but they deserve a little credit, cmon.
I deal with a lot of crap at my job dealing with the general public, would it be OK if I talked down to you and gave you bad service?

Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Your full of broad sweeping indictments and over-generalizations against an entire class of people of whom you know very few. You need to be reminded who the REAL enemy is.
man, talk about the Irony Comment of the Day grand-prize winner...

repeat after me: all teenagers with brown skin aren't the enemy.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
A little tidbit...

So my license plate on my car magically disappeared yesterday. So me not wanting any $100 tickets I call the non emergency # to report it. First time I call I get transferred put on hold for 10 minutes and then hung up on. Call back someone picks up the phone within 5 minutes, seems like he is eating dinner or something, tells me to hold on a quick minute... Holding, holding, holding. 40 minutes later I hang up (actually my battery died on my cell). Charge my phone call back somebody picks up after I explain what happend, they just put me on hold without telling me, I hang up after 10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago