Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:15 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times

Advertisements

Showme,

Given that you are about to join the force, how old are you?

I don't disagree that CPD has better things to do than write tickets. All my tickets have come from the state and suburban cops. I have gotten out of all of them except my first two when I was 16 (before I learned about contesting tickets and threatening to show up in court). This include a 91 in a 65 a couple of years ago just outside of Lafayette IN while coming home to see my folks for Christmas.

I have yet to be pulled over by CPD for cell phone use. From the officers I have spoken with they only enforce that when they need an excuse to pull you over (ie gangbangers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Showme, I grew up in Chicago & know what I'm talking about.

Apparently you are comfortable calling numerous police officers liars, not exactly something that shows you are in possession of the complete picture.

As for the "not doing squat," you are a definitely youngun, is all I can say.

Do you think the endemic corruption stopped the day Prohibition was repealed? Does the Summerdale incident ring a bell for you?

I sincerely hope everything everything you are saying is true regarding professionalism, but nevertheless, you are describing moving forward, not the VERY recent past.

You need to read some Mike Royko column compilations, clearly you are not up to speed on the history here.

I have been pulled over maybe 6 times in 22 years of driving in the City. I am polite, respectful that it's a tough job and that the cop never knows what they might be stumbling on to.

Nevertheless, when pulled over with my best friend, who is Mexican/Puerto Rican in the late 80s, the cop assumed we stole the car based on his ethnicity. He STATED THIS CLEARLY.

The cop then illegally went through his packets, ripped open a sealed pack of cigarettes, etc.

And I have loads, and loads of friends with similar tales...

Old 02-19-2010, 07:57 AM

by the way, the evidence that Showme is more than a little bit idealistic is easily found, just take a look at the amount of money the City of Chicago spends every year to settle complaints against police. It is totally out of whack with other cities.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:00 AM

Showme, why should police be forbidden from drinking? I agree with you that overall the force seems to get better with passing time, but I also don't think police need to be saints! I could care less if a police officer drinks or smokes dope on their *own* time - this is America, we're supposed to be the land of the free. Like I said, legalize drugs (just like they ended Prohibition) and I think many, many problems CPD faces will go away overnight.

But you do seem to be joining for good reasons, so kudos to you.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:59 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showme314 View Post

Ha, I would like to know where these rumors about LEO's come from.

From this guy.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:13 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
From this guy.
Leo Gorcey ( sp) from the Dead End Kids?

Long, long time ago..

Old 02-20-2010, 10:23 PM

50 posts, read 89,895 times
CPD -
When your given a plate number on two separate occasions after two separate hit and run accidents - Why can't you follow up on these - why can't you be bothered ? I can't believe I witnessed this. There is no excuse.
Every time I hear of a hit and run where someone is hurt - I know who else shares the blame.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:17 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showme314 View Post
Not to mention I find Alcohol very dangerous, considering the immaturity of many people who consume it.
This makes no sense.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
This makes no sense.
Consider the authoritarian streak evident throughout his last few posts and it makes more sense. It also goes a long way toward explaining why he has organized his life around wanting to be a cop. Unfortunately, I fear he will be exactly the kind of cop we've been talking about in this thread and won't understand why anyone has a problem with that.

That said, also consider that he's 20 years old, so his frame of reference for the maturity level of people drinking alcohol is probably those around his own age. And let's face it, no demographic is likely to be more idiotic about alcohol consumption than those in their late teens/early 20s.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:04 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
I think Frank Sinatra said it best "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago