Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:53 AM

947 posts, read 2,423,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casden View Post
My partner and I just placed an offer on a place in Old Irving Park and it seems ok as far as Gay Friendly. We're moving there from Lakeview (where Boystown is).

Don't get me wrong Boystown is great, but we got a little tired of being too near Halsted and the bars and parties.

Although it's fun to go there once in a while, we decided to move a little further west on Irving Park Rd. in the Old Irving Park neighborhood. ...and believe it or not we found a great deal on a house in that area.
My friend is selling a house there and just accepted a bid. Is it a yellow house? If so, good luck and love it. Many warm memories there. Beautiful home.
If not, hope you get what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:03 PM

88 posts, read 228,716 times
There are PLENTY of good Chicago public schools. Those who say otherwise have not done any research recently. Hyde Park is definitely an option though I don't know rents. Lincoln Square (not Lincoln Park, that is much more expensive) has a great public school called Budlong and the public library, Budlong Woods is right near there. It's a very gay-friendly area and while I don't think there are a ton of AA people there, I don't imagine it's an issue. You might try Roscoe Village, too but I don't know that the schools are as good.

I can't say for sure on rents but friends of mine who are renting out their 3 BR 1 bath condo in LS were asking I think about $1500 so that is about a good range.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 AM

361 posts, read 1,092,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
My friend is selling a house there and just accepted a bid. Is it a yellow house? If so, good luck and love it. Many warm memories there. Beautiful home.
If not, hope you get what you are looking for.
Well it's a yellow brick house. It's possible.

Thanks - I hope so too.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 AM

18 posts, read 70,244 times
Boystown (Halsted/Broadway between Diversey and Irving Park) or Hyde Park. Andersonville is pretty LGBTQ friendly as well, and more affordable than Boystown I think. Rogers Park is a mixed bag, but it is also a very affordable and progressive neighborhood with a mix of ethnicities. Crime is fairly high around Morse, but stick to the lakefront and you'll be good.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:06 AM
2dc

87 posts, read 420,098 times
Ok here are some of the neighborhoods you should look at:

City Neighborhoods
Hyde Park & Kenwood Area (Obama territory)
South Loop
Bronzeville
Lakeview
Rogers Park (closer to the lakefront like previously mentioned)
Bucktown
Near West Side

Suburban communities
Oak Park, Il (its technically the suburbs, but it has an urban or city-like atmosphere) w/ good schools
Evanston, Il - home of Northwestern Uni. pretty diverse & good schools

*Btw* Im AA & gay as well.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 AM

6 posts, read 11,545 times
I agree with a past poster that Hyde Park would be perfect. The neighborhood is diverse, family oriented but still vibrant, and very open/welcoming to the LGBT community. The local public school, Ray School, is one of the best in the city. I write a blog about the neighborhood which you can check out for more info about local businesses, fun things to do, etc. Ms. Hyde Park.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM

374 posts, read 1,598,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff616 View Post
Thank you for all of your help! I can't wait to move to Chicago!
Not sure if you have moved to CHicago already ( this post is a few months old) but we live in Wake Forest NC now and moved here from Chicago area. We were in Skokie and you might like it. Its just North of the city and you can be downtown in 20 mins. Our kids were at St Peter Catholic school and it was a good little school at a very reasonable price. Skokie is also not as pricey as the Northside of the city. Great public schools too. Good luck

Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfamilyof4 View Post
We were in Skokie and you might like it. Its just North of the city and you can be downtown in 20 mins.
Sure you can, at 4am on a Wednesday.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Sure you can, at 4am on a Wednesday.
The Morton Grove express Metra is 28 minutes, but driving during rush hours pretty much 6am-9pm you're right.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:54 PM

202 posts, read 686,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff616 View Post
Hey. My dp and I are thinking about moving to Chicago.We are looking for neighborhood reccomendations. We want to pay no more than 2000 a month. We need a 3 bedroom with parking and W/D hookups in unit.We do not want the suburbs

We require:
Good schools
Gay-friendly neighborhood
Updated kitchen/bathrooms
Diverse to minority neighborhood

What neighborhood do you think would be a good fit?
Thanks in advance.

Good public schools in Chicago are hard to come by. CPS has some of the worst schools in the nation. I heard on CNN that ~40 CPS students have been killed a couple years back.

Safe minority neighborhoods are hard to find as well. I'm not racist, im saying the truth. Black and Latino neighborhoods tend to have problems with gangs,drugs,etc. Chicago is a tough city, if you go down in the hole.

I think Uptown would be a good fit. Its pretty safe and VERY diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago