Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 01:14 PM

212 posts, read 615,169 times

Advertisements

"5. The Chicagoan: As I stated earlier, people from Chicago live and die for Chicago. The people have a tendency to be pushy, It's a weird vibe I can't describe but you pick up on it quick.The Show Rosanne was based on the Chicago area and I swear to you, that's how the people act. Snappy, and sarcastic, and just pushy. Not everybody is, Overall it's just a fast pace,expect to see people driving 75 mph down side streets."

I can agree with this impression. Grew up in Chicago and moved away to join the military. Lived in Omaha and now Indianapolis. I can totally see this on my visits back to see family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 01:34 PM

18 posts, read 55,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
"5. The Chicagoan: As I stated earlier, people from Chicago live and die for Chicago. The people have a tendency to be pushy, It's a weird vibe I can't describe but you pick up on it quick.The Show Rosanne was based on the Chicago area and I swear to you, that's how the people act. Snappy, and sarcastic, and just pushy. Not everybody is, Overall it's just a fast pace,expect to see people driving 75 mph down side streets."

I can agree with this impression. Grew up in Chicago and moved away to join the military. Lived in Omaha and now Indianapolis. I can totally see this on my visits back to see family.
I Kinda get what you mean by this. I dated a guy for a while who was originally from Chicago and spent a few holidays/summer weeks with him visiting family and definitely got the "live and die for Chicago" vibe from many of his family members and friends.

Personally, I find this kind of charming and I think in a way it makes getting to know and love the city a little easier because you can feed off of their passion for it. I suppose others could just find it annoying, but I am a fan.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:28 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
I can attest that many Chicagoans have a bit of an "edge" not found in other midwestern cities. You hear references to "Minnesota Nice", but you'll never hear "Chicago Nice"--and there's a reason for this. Having grown up in Wisconsin born to a mother from Chicago, I have great familiarity with the subtle differences in culture across neighboring state borders. But of course, this is a generalization. There are sweet little old ladies here too, you know. And Polly Annas and Marias from the Sound of Music. And blue birds and sunshine.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:32 PM

212 posts, read 615,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout kid View Post
there are sweet little old ladies here too, you know. And polly annas and marias from the sound of music. And blue birds and sunshine.
lol!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:37 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
,,,and Chicago is the only American city where a complete stranger whom I stopped on the street to ask directions,insisted on walking me two blocks out of his way to make sure I got on the right bus.
Chicago isn't perfect. So what?

Old 02-18-2010, 03:51 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I can attest that many Chicagoans have a bit of an "edge" not found in other midwestern cities. You hear references to "Minnesota Nice", but you'll never hear "Chicago Nice"--and there's a reason for this. Having grown up in Wisconsin born to a mother from Chicago, I have great familiarity with the subtle differences in culture across neighboring state borders. But of course, this is a generalization. There are sweet little old ladies here too, you know. And Polly Annas and Marias from the Sound of Music. And blue birds and sunshine.
There's a similar difference when crossing over the MA state line from northern New England: you're now in the URBAN part, and you have to act accordingly. The differences from VT, NH and ME when compared to MA, RI and CT are palpable.

Just my opinion, but Chicago is not as " in your face" as many parts of the Northeast.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:50 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT28107 View Post
1) Weather (2-3 decent months out of the whole year)
2) Taxes and TOLLS
3) Overall cost of living
4) Lack of natural scenery (midwest flat land)
5) Political corruption
6) Congestion
7) Limited outdoor activities (drinking beer at a street festival isn't an outdoor activity)
8) Polluted lakefront
9) Street parking is a nightmare and garage parking costs an arm and a leg.
10) Public transportation is getting more crowded and more expensive by the day.
It's not that expensive to live in Chicago, taxes might be high, but everything else is cheaper than a lot of big cities.

I, and a lot of other people, like flat land. People complain about flat land, except that it is rarer than mountainous or hilly land in America.

I don't know what you are looking for, but Chicago has quite a bit outside.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 PM

947 posts, read 2,422,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I contribute my edge and sarcasm to the nuns who beat it into me.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
I mean any alpha, gamma or beta ranked city. These rents do not exist in typically world ranked cities. Chicago is definitely the anomaly from that stand point.

I just checked the most recent GaWC rankings (2008), and among those US cities ranked Alpha, Beta or Gamma were Denver, Houston, Minneapolis, and Detroit -- and I know those cities are cheaper to rent in than Chicago.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:12 AM

226 posts, read 979,363 times
I was speaking of from May 2009 to now (February 2010). So far I am accurate. It got warm ONLY the second week of June 2009. About August or September some weird low 50's/high 40's weather creeped out for a about a week that required a jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel2000 View Post
Working in the cold for 6-8 months? I really wish people would at least visit a weather website before vectoring such nonsense. In short, Chicago has 3 months of cold to very cold weather, 3 months of warm to hot weather, and 6 months of comfortable 40°-70° weather, more or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago