Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times

Advertisements

These lists are stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
Really?
You're clearly ignorant and I doubt you're even from Chicago.

Those looking to move here with no job looking to become trendy, starving artists and strum their guitar in Bucktown are just stupid .
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
You're an idiot. Get real.
Just a guess: You'd have much better luck/fit in, say, Philly than Chicago anyway.
(I've lived in both.)
--------------------
I notice that, as of 4 pages of this thread, nobody has 10 reasons to list here. Wonder how many other big cities would get same result...

It's a GREAT city. If you can deal with the previously mentioned tangibles, go for it!

Old 02-13-2010, 04:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Let me just say my opinion on this. Here's what I would say would be a fair list, not in any order.

1. Parking- If you don't have a garage or a cheap lot(good luck) that can be a pain.

2. City Taxes- No comment

3. NY- If you like the NY way of life then Chicago may not be for you. Most of us respect NY but we try and be as different as we can from NY.

4. Cost of Living- Expect to pay at least 800-900 for a small studio in a decent neighborhood and if you want to live in the Goldcoast or similar, ha forget about it!

5. Traffic- Pretty much anytime of day on the Loop will be jammed. If you caught in Friday rush hour, have fun!

6. Politics- There's no doubt IL is corrupt and if you don't want to be associated with that then stay away.

I can't come up with ten but there's a good start.
Oh you can find much cheaper deals in the city than that! If you can't find a studio for $500 you have no business being there.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:24 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Oh you can find much cheaper deals in the city than that! If you can't find a studio for $500 you have no business being there.
The high rents are for those who are determined to live on the North Side, east of Western Avenue.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:27 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The high rents are for those who are determined to live on the North Side, east of Western Avenue.
I know many people that live east of Western and north of North Ave that pay $500 or give or take a few bucks above or below it.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 13,861 times
Hi guys,

If you don't recommend someone to live in the Chicago, then where do you recommend someone to live in?

I'm planning to move to the Chicago in 2011. Please guide!

TK

Old 02-13-2010, 09:41 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFOO84 View Post
Hi guys,

If you don't recommend someone to live in the Chicago, then where do you recommend someone to live in?

I'm planning to move to the Chicago in 2011. Please guide!

TK
if YOU want to live in Chicago, then live in Chicago. don't let some anon posters on a forum sway you. do the research, make a list of what you want in a new location, compare to other cities, and make the decision that's best for you

Old 02-14-2010, 03:30 AM

180 posts, read 378,298 times
1) Weather (2-3 decent months out of the whole year)
2) Taxes and TOLLS
3) Overall cost of living
4) Lack of natural scenery (midwest flat land)
5) Political corruption
6) Congestion
7) Limited outdoor activities (drinking beer at a street festival isn't an outdoor activity)
8) Polluted lakefront
9) Street parking is a nightmare and garage parking costs an arm and a leg.
10) Public transportation is getting more crowded and more expensive by the day.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:14 PM

391 posts, read 1,302,847 times
[quote=Attrill;12846361]Don't move here if you can't imagine walking and taking publopps

Old 02-14-2010, 02:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,293 times
Oh, lord, enough is enough!

Chicago has corruption. Despite what Steve0 would have you believe, it also has terrible weather. And personally, I believe Illinois to be one of the ugliest states in an already ugly region. The midwest is simply ugly overall.

But the fact remains that Chicago is still an amazing place to live. That's right: amazing. It's the only "big city" in America where you can earn the same wages as your counterparts in NYC, LA or San Francisco but not pour all your paychecks into rent. You can own!

What's more, Chicago has a style that is uniquely its own. Having been gone for so long, I can now look back and realize what I had: this architecturally stunning environment of utter sophistication and real, true style. Chicago has style. There's a bit more peace and quiet than what you'll find in NYC or LA, but foot traffic is very heavy, cultural amenities are astounding and what's more, people can afford to actually use them!

So it's gray and cold. It's part of the charm of the environment. Life isn't exactly a sunny dream here in Los Angeles. Yes, it's sunny every day and no, I don't think there's anywhere more beautiful than where I live. But who cares? I miss my 19th century townhome, I miss the lights on the street that come on at 5 p.m. and the way people move up and down the street. I miss moving through crowded streets of old world architecture and staring out my window at all of this on a subzero evening in my study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago