Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT28107 View Post
Totally disagree, and I'm a Chicago native. Chicago food is vastly overrated.
I'd say Chicago has "some" amazing food, plus plenty of mediocre or bad food, just like most any other city does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM

180 posts, read 378,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I'd say Chicago has "some" amazing food, plus plenty of mediocre or bad food, just like most any other city does.
That is a fair assessment.

Chicago does hot dogs and Italian beef very well.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:16 PM

31 posts, read 102,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT28107 View Post
That is a fair assessment.

Chicago does hot dogs and Italian beef very well.

Try finding good deep dish, in St.Louis, or Kansas City, however I rarely crave it. But it can be done wrong.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:31 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
1. Winters are brutal.
2. It's the "new Mississippi."
3. Hicks rule.
4. Segregation and racism is very high.
5. Limited job opportunities.
6. Midwestern blandness.
7. Senseless crime is ever-present.
8. Isolation as Chicago stands alone in the Midwest.
9. Traffic is horrendous, especially during the winter.
10. Progression slowed by analysis paralysis.
1. Yes, winters suck here! Take note. Luckily, we get fewer snowstorms than the east coast, but equal amounts of it spread out over the winter. Subzero temps are not uncommon, so anyone who can't survive those should think before moving.

2. I don't even know what that means. You quote it like it's a famous saying. Never heard that before, but Chicago does have a great soul and southern presence on the south side.

3. Not true at all. Have you been here before? Or are you just stereotyping because you assume because Chicago is in the Midwest it must fit into a stereotype?

4. Typical stereotyping once again. Yes, Chicago is segregated, but I would say equally so to many other big cities. I wouldn't say that Chicago's segregation problem is a reason someone shouldn't move here, because there's plenty of diversity.

5. A higher unemployment rate doesn't necessarily mean fewer job opportunities, but Chicago DOES have above average unemployment, and things need to be done by officials to expand its economy. Now California? You should be talking.

6. You're beginning to lose your credibility now.

7. Chicago has the highest crime rate of the big three and things must be done. Yes, it's a big problem here and political corruption also needs to be stopped. But, there are plenty of safe neighborhoods city wide.

8. That's a lie. Milwaukee, Madison, St. Louis, and Minneapolis are actually really neat and fun cities that are no more than a days drive from Chicago. And then there's the big ten college towns that are also really neat.

9. Yes, traffic sucks. But it's nowhere near as bad as California, as luckily there's such a thing as PUBLIC TRANSIT. Again, not a reason for someone not to move here.

10. I don't even know what that means, but if it's talking about the corrupt government, Chicago needs to have a complete facelift of all its officials. They suck, and so do the police and the taxes. But again, you're in California. 'Nuff said.

The main reason why someone should not live in Chicago are the cold winters and the rather high cost of living compared to other Midwest and Southern Cities. The sales taxes are off the roof here and should be noted also as a reason.

But overall, I love Chicago. It has so much culture, fun, class, and it's just a great place to live despite its faults.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:50 PM

[quote=Nafster;12930085]

"8. That's a lie. Milwaukee, Madison, St. Louis, and Minneapolis are actually really neat and fun cities that are no more than a days drive from Chicago. And then there's the big ten college towns that are also really neat. "

I rarely meet people visiting from Chicago, in St.Louis, They come for Cubs games, and cause problems, and When I lived in the Chicago area, I would say in general people from Chicago didn't hold much respect for St.Louis.

Now Milwaukee is like a suburb of Chicago, and I agree Chicagoans get away in Wisconsin, kind of like we have the Ozarks.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:53 PM

180 posts, read 378,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showme314 View Post
Try finding good deep dish, in St.Louis, or Kansas City, however I rarely crave it. But it can be done wrong.
I don't crave it often either. Maybe 1-2 times a year. A fresh Deluxe from Lou's can't be beat.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 PM

Real talk!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
[quote=Showme314;12931959]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Now Milwaukee is like a suburb of Chicago, and I agree Chicagoans get away in Wisconsin, kind of like we have the Ozarks.
What??? Milwaukee a suburb of Chicago?? News to me. It's over 90 miles away!

That's like saying Philly is a suburb of New York.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 PM

LOL , the way that Chicagoans utilize it, everybody I know from Chicago goes there quite a bit. And It's not they view it as as a rival City, like New York does Philly.

[quote=Nafster;12932734]
Quote:

What??? Milwaukee a suburb of Chicago?? News to me. It's over 90 miles away!

That's like saying Philly is a suburb of New York.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:55 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Quote:
LOL , the way that Chicagoans utilize it, everybody I know from Chicago goes there quite a bit. And It's not they view it as as a rival City, like New York does Philly.

I'm not sure that suburb is the right word. Personally, as a Chicagoan who has lived here (both city and burbs) for over 30 years, I've only been to Milwaukee twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago