U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 AM

224 posts, read 630,346 times

Advertisements

Where is it? Has it been torned down for lux-condo and yuppy parking spaces?

Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 AM

21,720 posts, read 37,184,337 times
The current Mayor is practically prudish in his distaste for anything involving "the sex trade".

The North Loop that once had the last hold outs of other than isolated peep shows and 'adult book stores' has been transformed into not just yuppy parking but huge swaths of high end retail, art galleries, ultra high end housing, and more upscale restaurants than you could eat your way through in a month.

Really.

Once upon a time the "River North" and Rush Street areas were about as seedy as the city had to offer, and now it is spill over of Oak St / Michigan Ave boutiques and everything else that the dreamers of 'urban renewal' could never have imagined.

Real estate speculators did most of the heavy lifting, and zoning guys were mostly along for the ride -- when a guy that owns a smut shop realized he can get 50x ++ annual earnings for selling the building he really doesn't need to think about relocating or fighting city hall with the help of the ACLU.

Right now the guys that did not take advantage of the "peak" are looking at quite a valley too -- condo glut is going to put the hurt on some folks. Amazing how timing is everything...

Old 02-16-2010, 03:49 AM

224 posts, read 630,346 times
interesting...and sad. A city the size of Chicago should have EVERYTHING you'd expect for a city this size without having to go to Vegas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The current Mayor is practically prudish in his distaste for anything involving "the sex trade".

The North Loop that once had the last hold outs of other than isolated peep shows and 'adult book stores' has been transformed into not just yuppy parking but huge swaths of high end retail, art galleries, ultra high end housing, and more upscale restaurants than you could eat your way through in a month.

Really.

Once upon a time the "River North" and Rush Street areas were about as seedy as the city had to offer, and now it is spill over of Oak St / Michigan Ave boutiques and everything else that the dreamers of 'urban renewal' could never have imagined.

Real estate speculators did most of the heavy lifting, and zoning guys were mostly along for the ride -- when a guy that owns a smut shop realized he can get 50x ++ annual earnings for selling the building he really doesn't need to think about relocating or fighting city hall with the help of the ACLU.

Right now the guys that did not take advantage of the "peak" are looking at quite a valley too -- condo glut is going to put the hurt on some folks. Amazing how timing is everything...

Old 02-16-2010, 07:19 AM

21,720 posts, read 37,184,337 times
Call girls in Chicago have gone "high tech" and there is a long tradition of the "out call" business in the area.

While I'm not going to claim that you really could get a Rebecca de Mornay clone and her pals to service your high schools buddies while mom and dad are away, for those that want something along those lines the web has supplanted actual publications, and actual 'street walkers', while still a menance in some parts of the region, do a fraction of the business that the more tech saavy gals do...

Old 02-16-2010, 08:59 AM

3,221 posts, read 6,006,223 times
There isn't a Red Light District in Chicago per se, but there are streets throughout the city where prostitutes are known to "conduct business"

Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 AM

36 posts, read 143,714 times
It's interesting to note that some of the streets that the prostitutes used to 'conduct business' on are part of a hot real estate area now. Some of the homes on these streets go for well over $1 million now.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 PM

2,500 posts, read 3,244,544 times
Sometimes late at night the Halsted strip in Boystown sort of functions as a quasi-red light district (or so I've heard).

Old 02-17-2010, 03:23 PM

9,170 posts, read 13,662,902 times
^ really? I've been there hundreds of times and never seen much going on as far as prosties.

I was waiting for the bus once at 3am and a guy walked up and asked "how much", but I just laughed at him and he ran away. Other than that it must be a pretty small or very hidden business if it's still there.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:29 PM

4,338 posts, read 6,071,434 times
I'm very much into sin and vice, but I'm not sure I see why its a bad thing that Chicago doesn't have a prominent 'red light district'.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:32 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,473,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Sometimes late at night the Halsted strip in Boystown sort of functions as a quasi-red light district (or so I've heard).
Um, it's Boystown.

"Hey, you wanna shack up?"

"Sure."

Is a common enough sentiment in the area If you're paying for sex in Boystown, I seriously have a bridge to sell you. Right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I'm very much into sin and vice, but I'm not sure I see why its a bad thing that Chicago doesn't have a prominent 'red light district'.
It's part of the double standard, really. Vegas is fun and cool because it has a red light district; LA and NYC would be somehow more "cosmopolitan". Detroit and Chicago wouldn't be given the same leverage for the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago