Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 20,495 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Chicago is a few months. We are trying to find a neighborhood close to the city to begin house hunting in. We have two small children. We are looking for a safe neighborhood to purchase a house/condo close to the city. My husband works downtown and does not want a long commute, half hour tops. Our price range for purchasing a home would be no higher than 350,000. We just saw a home in Ukrainian Village we may be interested in and want to know if the neighborhood is good and in paticular West Huron Avenue? Any advice on this or other good places to live are appreciated and greatly needed!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
It is a pretty good area. A few things to consider: If you are on West Huron, it will be a long walk to the L station at Western or the other at Ashland/Lake so check the bus schedules into downtown. That may be a better option.

If you go south and west of Ukranian Village, it gets a little seedy, but north and east are ok. Far east (just before downtown) is a little industrial, but no big deal. Overall, it is a safe neighborhood. With two small children, it might be better to be east on West Huron because in my opinion it is a little bit safer. If you are on West Huron right by the Western Avenue station, don't buy.

In terms of schools, the neighborhood elementary schools will be ok, but beyond that, private schools will be needed unless you can get your children into the magnet schools.

You may want to look at the far NW side, which has more family friendly neighborhoods and easy access to downtown. These include Norwood Park, Jefferson Park, and Avondale.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Huron and what?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:16 PM

It is between North Wolcott Avenue and North Wood Street. Thanks for the info so far! Keep it coming! We are lost and can use all the help we can get!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
My sister, BIL, and niece have lived on West Huron for nine years. (Their condo unit on the ground floor of a former parochial school is on the market, BTW. It's within sight of the big gold-domed church; they're only moving because they ran out of space.) Although only a block east of Western Ave - which I agree looks raggedy at best and sketchy at worst - their neighborhood is tranquil and has a safe, dare I say suburban, feel to it. People are out strolling around at all hours, often along with the household dog and/or baby. The street itself is well shaded with little traffic.
The main drawback to the community that I perceive is the lack of CTA access, other than to Western Ave buses which only travel along that street. It's a long walk (in Chicago weather at that) to bus service into the Loop along either Grand or Chicago Ave; to get to the nicely refurbished Deco-era El station would easily involve at least twenty minutes on foot. (No way is West Huron "right by" there.) Seasoned and savvy urbanite as I may kid myself that I am, I'd think twice about making that trek given the overall seediness of the thoroughfare.
Since I'm only in Chicago for visits, I don't experience the joys of everyday living such as grocery shopping much there. But it doesn't appear to me that any big supermarkets or hardware/drug/clothing stores are in the immediate vicinity.
Due to my BIL's being a city contractor, the family is required to reside within Chicago. My niece is a "special needs child," and the public-school program set up for her initially was a great fit. Then came budget cutbacks and the struggle to find something comparable which isn't over yet. The children from my BIL's first marriage have done well in magnet programs, however.
Incidentally, the family is relocating to a fixer-upper house they purchased in Wicker Park on the Near Northwest Side. That's an area which has been gentrifying steadily over the past decade or so. It's not clear to me whether the section called Bucktown is entirely separate or overlapping, since you often hear both names in the same breath. But the community is well situated for El service and is close in to downtown. Like many a "revitalized" urban district, though, Wicker Park tends to be long on trendy and short on practical where retail is concerned. And the typical home price may be out of reach by now. You might want to include the vicinity in your search regardless.
Best o' luck!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the good info on transportation to the city. This would be very important to my husband. It would definitely be a deal breaker. My husband really wants to be as close to the city as possible. He would be fine in a condo or apartment. I would perfer to be in a home. I love being able to take my children to the yard to play. I am open to anything really though. I have been living in DE and my husband has been in Chicago since the Summer. I can't wait to all be in one place.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 AM

95 posts, read 219,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
But it doesn't appear to me that any big supermarkets or hardware/drug/clothing stores are in the immediate vicinity.
Actually, there's a new Dominick's at Chicago and Damen that was built a few years ago, so you'd be only a few blocks from a grocery store.

I like the area a lot. I've been down there many times, even looked at an apartment right around there several years ago. You're right by the fun of Wicker Park and Bucktown, but in a slightly quieter area.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:40 PM

367 posts, read 917,577 times
I live not too far from the area you are considering. I am somewhat new to the area but have done a bit of walking around and consider it a good neighborhood.

In my back alley for example, I have seen young children out playing, walking dogs, and sometimes finding their way home alone. Day and night. With no adults around. I think this is a good sign and something I never saw much of in other areas, even LP/LV. There does seem to be a good amount of family's around. The neighborhood is known for being a great place in the city for trick or treating.

As far as transit. The Chicago bus runs constantly and goes to the red, blue, and brown lines plus mag mile. I have never spent much time waiting on 66 and think it is one on the better ones. If you have to jump a bus to a train, #66 would be one of my top picks.

Last edited by WhaThe; 02-18-2010 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 02-18-2010, 03:43 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallypaige View Post
Thanks for the good info on transportation to the city. This would be very important to my husband. It would definitely be a deal breaker. My husband really wants to be as close to the city as possible. He would be fine in a condo or apartment. I would perfer to be in a home. I love being able to take my children to the yard to play. I am open to anything really though. I have been living in DE and my husband has been in Chicago since the Summer. I can't wait to all be in one place.
You keep saying transportation to the city. Ukrainian Village is in the city. Where is he working? Recommendations will vary based on his job location.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:20 PM

Sorry I seem so clueless. I have only visited once since he has been there. We are coming this week actually for a long visit full of looking around. My husband is working in downtown Chicago---government buildings. I wish I knew street names but it is not far from the Hilton in the city--does that help. I will have to ask him the name of the street he is on.
He wants to be able to get to work without a long commute. He works long hours so he does not want it to be an even longer day.
Thanks for the info WhaTha. We will have to take a look at the house...you may know the house it is 1846 West Huron Street and the price seems to good to be true..do you have any idea what is up with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago