Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 11:33 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbsmokey View Post
It is so good to see that I am not the only one who prefers real seasons, real weather, very friendly people and so much more over the overhyped California life style.
I lived most of my life in California, so I feel I am qualified to comment on what it is really like to live there. I lived 36 years in the south (San Fernando Valley and Orange County), and 18 years in the Bay Area (Oakland and San Leandro). First of all, California's climate is great if you like to bake in miserable heat all year round. If you prefer the overwhelming ugliness of the terrain (brown barren mountains which look like huge rocks, artificial greenery which takes huge amounts of water to maintain) which results from a semi-arid desert climate, made worse by the ongoing drought, than this is the place for you. Not for me. Growing up in "The Valley", with its brutal summers, insult was added to injury by the occurrence of 90 degree plus days any time of the year, even in January! Oh, and don't get me started on the Santa Ana winds. Lovely if you like the feeling of standing by the hot air blasts of a furnace.
Finally, after being so sick of "one beautiful day after another" for months on end, I decided as a retired and single man, to make the move to a city which I had visited numerous times and always loved, Chicago. As my title says, it was the best decision I ever made.
Firstly, is the distinct difference in the populace. Judging from my personal experience, it is not a myth that Chicagoans are much friendlier that people on the coasts (Yes, NYC, I mean you.) Many times I am greeted by complete strangers with a "Hi" when I am out walking. It seems that everywhere I go, everyone here has treated me with wonderful warmth (even waiters, store clerks, bank tellers, etc.). Not to mention the numerous friendships I have made since I've been here. I don't know if it is because we are located in the Midwest, but there is a refreshing lack of pretentiousness here as compared to California, which is obsessed with appearance.
Now for the weather in Chicago. In a word, I love it. Even winter. I don't mind the cold, and if you dress properly to protect yourself, it can even feel exhilarating. Plus its changeability here. You can go from sunny and warm to big thunderstorms in mere minutes (especially in the summer).
Chicago is also a very walkable city and has many charms with its abundance of good restaurants, cultural activities, and other great big city amenities. Public transit here is superb, and the "L" and busses take you just about anywhere you want to go. Looks like I'm here to stay.
Very old thread, but welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 03:06 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbsmokey View Post
It is so good to see that I am not the only one who prefers real seasons, real weather, very friendly people and so much more over the overhyped California life style.
I lived most of my life in California, so I feel I am qualified to comment on what it is really like to live there. I lived 36 years in the south (San Fernando Valley and Orange County), and 18 years in the Bay Area (Oakland and San Leandro). First of all, California's climate is great if you like to bake in miserable heat all year round. If you prefer the overwhelming ugliness of the terrain (brown barren mountains which look like huge rocks, artificial greenery which takes huge amounts of water to maintain) which results from a semi-arid desert climate, made worse by the ongoing drought, than this is the place for you. Not for me. Growing up in "The Valley", with its brutal summers, insult was added to injury by the occurrence of 90 degree plus days any time of the year, even in January! Oh, and don't get me started on the Santa Ana winds. Lovely if you like the feeling of standing by the hot air blasts of a furnace.
Finally, after being so sick of "one beautiful day after another" for months on end, I decided as a retired and single man, to make the move to a city which I had visited numerous times and always loved, Chicago. As my title says, it was the best decision I ever made.
Firstly, is the distinct difference in the populace. Judging from my personal experience, it is not a myth that Chicagoans are much friendlier that people on the coasts (Yes, NYC, I mean you.) Many times I am greeted by complete strangers with a "Hi" when I am out walking. It seems that everywhere I go, everyone here has treated me with wonderful warmth (even waiters, store clerks, bank tellers, etc.). Not to mention the numerous friendships I have made since I've been here. I don't know if it is because we are located in the Midwest, but there is a refreshing lack of pretentiousness here as compared to California, which is obsessed with appearance.
Now for the weather in Chicago. In a word, I love it. Even winter. I don't mind the cold, and if you dress properly to protect yourself, it can even feel exhilarating. Plus its changeability here. You can go from sunny and warm to big thunderstorms in mere minutes (especially in the summer).
Chicago is also a very walkable city and has many charms with its abundance of good restaurants, cultural activities, and other great big city amenities. Public transit here is superb, and the "L" and busses take you just about anywhere you want to go. Looks like I'm here to stay.
Glad to see you are enjoying it. I personally made the exact opposite move, and am happy in SoCal as much as you are in Chicago.

Not to argue - Just sharing my perspective, but having been in LA County for five years I can understand that some people would have your perspective.

I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, I've been here for five years in LA County and feel like I am here to stay.

I was and still am thrilled to meet so many people through SO MANY outlets, who enjoy outdoor adventures across the region and across the state. There ARE TONS more popular outdoor hiking meetup groups and the Sierra Club which have outings and get together exploring all the public lands. These things are legitimate People normally don't think of LA as being an outdoor lovers city, but only the Angeles chapter of the Sierra Club has a Wilderness Travel Course its like an adult Boy Scouts with over half women! And very ethnically diverse and international. Its so much more easy for me to embrace diversity when I meet so many Hispanics, Asians, etc. that love to do the same stuff I do. Any given weekend In Chicagoland the only people that engage in those outdoor activities (camping in Wisconsin, bike riding along forest preserve trails, and fishing in the ponds throughout the suburbs are white, mostly suburban males. Its funny that people call LA a desert (its not, you don't get real desert until the other side of the mountains). I call Chicagoland a global metro area surrounded by cornfields on three sides.

Since moving here I've been hiked many of the trails in the San Gabriel, Santa Monica, San Jacinto mountains to most of the National Parks across the state, and others in nearby states in Arizona and Utah.

I teach community college earth sciences, and every class period is like virtual tour guide, where I open up my students to all the natural wonders that are right in their backyard. Even the natural hazards make class so much more engaging. Back in Illinois, I felt helpless to make my teaching interesting because we have nothing nearby. Why would one care whatsoever about plate tectonics if they're never planning on leaving Chicago.

I'm not crazy about the day after day of warm, sunny weather but I seem to be much more aware of the changes, again probably because I go hiking and looking out the window everywhere I drive, the winters are mild, but magical, when a few days of rain between Thanksgiving and Easter brings the hills back to life, and puts water in the streams.

As far as people go, I find it very easy to avoid interaction with the unfriendly or pretentious people in LA. I guess as far as random friendliness, I can see how Chicago and its suburbs could be seen as friendlier. My big issue with Chicagoland in addition to the lack of interesting geography, as that even though it is culturally/ethnically diverse I felt so out of touch and difficult to connect with people of other backgrounds. Here in California I feel like I can talk to and connect with Asian/African/Hispanic Americans much more effortlessly, meet a lot more people that get the same geeky references. in Chicagoland I felt like everyone not like me lived this totally different existence in a totally foreign culture that I had a hard time relating too, because they grew up in different neighborhoods.

Anyways, I'm glad you like Chicago, we all have to find the right place for us. Luckily the US is a big diverse place, and with 50 states, there is something for everyone.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:13 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Glad to see you are enjoying it. I personally made the exact opposite move, and am happy in SoCal as much as you are in Chicago.

Not to argue - Just sharing my perspective, but having been in LA County for five years I can understand that some people would have your perspective.

I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, I've been here for five years in LA County and feel like I am here to stay.

I was and still am thrilled to meet so many people through SO MANY outlets, who enjoy outdoor adventures across the region and across the state. There ARE TONS more popular outdoor hiking meetup groups and the Sierra Club which have outings and get together exploring all the public lands. These things are legitimate People normally don't think of LA as being an outdoor lovers city, but only the Angeles chapter of the Sierra Club has a Wilderness Travel Course its like an adult Boy Scouts with over half women! And very ethnically diverse and international. Its so much more easy for me to embrace diversity when I meet so many Hispanics, Asians, etc. that love to do the same stuff I do. Any given weekend In Chicagoland the only people that engage in those outdoor activities (camping in Wisconsin, bike riding along forest preserve trails, and fishing in the ponds throughout the suburbs are white, mostly suburban males. Its funny that people call LA a desert (its not, you don't get real desert until the other side of the mountains). I call Chicagoland a global metro area surrounded by cornfields on three sides.

Since moving here I've been hiked many of the trails in the San Gabriel, Santa Monica, San Jacinto mountains to most of the National Parks across the state, and others in nearby states in Arizona and Utah.

I teach community college earth sciences, and every class period is like virtual tour guide, where I open up my students to all the natural wonders that are right in their backyard. Even the natural hazards make class so much more engaging. Back in Illinois, I felt helpless to make my teaching interesting because we have nothing nearby. Why would one care whatsoever about plate tectonics if they're never planning on leaving Chicago.

I'm not crazy about the day after day of warm, sunny weather but I seem to be much more aware of the changes, again probably because I go hiking and looking out the window everywhere I drive, the winters are mild, but magical, when a few days of rain between Thanksgiving and Easter brings the hills back to life, and puts water in the streams.

As far as people go, I find it very easy to avoid interaction with the unfriendly or pretentious people in LA. I guess as far as random friendliness, I can see how Chicago and its suburbs could be seen as friendlier. My big issue with Chicagoland in addition to the lack of interesting geography, as that even though it is culturally/ethnically diverse I felt so out of touch and difficult to connect with people of other backgrounds. Here in California I feel like I can talk to and connect with Asian/African/Hispanic Americans much more effortlessly, meet a lot more people that get the same geeky references. in Chicagoland I felt like everyone not like me lived this totally different existence in a totally foreign culture that I had a hard time relating too, because they grew up in different neighborhoods.

Anyways, I'm glad you like Chicago, we all have to find the right place for us. Luckily the US is a big diverse place, and with 50 states, there is something for everyone.
Are you in yours 40s+? I feel that's an antiquated mindset. Not saying that to attack you, I just haven't heard of anyone complaining about connecting with people of different backgrounds.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:42 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Are you in yours 40s+? I feel that's an antiquated mindset. Not saying that to attack you, I just haven't heard of anyone complaining about connecting with people of different backgrounds.
I'm 36. I'm just saying that California compared to Chicagoland, has been easier for me to have lots of acquaintances of all backgrounds without really trying. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago