Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:47 AM

226 posts, read 979,573 times
you're 10-15 years too late with this genre. It peaked in late 90's. The hot thing right now is to be a Kraftwerk rip-off/electro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
After fleeing Indiana to live on the coasts, then travel the world, we've made the terrible error of returning (temporarily.) Though it's 3 hours away, Chicago provides our only escape from the soul-crushing environment we've stumbled into.

We desperately need somewhere to dance to something with a real beat. We used to come home a few times every week, soaked through with sweat from cutting loose for a few hours in our favorite underground industrial or trance club. Now I'm ready to chew through my own wrists for a single night of hardcore!

Please help us find a high-intensity club in Chicago. Someplace that's not a meat market, where people actually come for the music and dancing (or drugs) would be best. Trance, any flavor of Hardcore, Industrial, EBM, Powernoise, are all fine.

Just, please, not another place with a "DJ" playing the "Midwestern Mix." (House from 1993 + R&B from 1995 + what sounds like a pop mix CD from 1997). No more pool tables! No more piano bars! No more goofy fratboy bobbing their heads to Kid Rock!! ENOUGH!

Give me an empty warehouse armed with enough bass to trigger an involuntary bowel movement, 600 ravers, and a load of alcohol! Something like this has to exist in Chicago, right? Help me out!

Thanks!

Last edited by linicx; 03-01-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,093 times
i will say you find dance acts at some interesting venues. i happned to catch The Juan Maclean at the DD last year and had an absolute blast (great video of that show here
The Juan MacLean - Happy House (Live @ The Double Door) - GLOBAL FILM NETWORK on Vimeo)

which kind of leads in to movingsomewhere's point. the stuff the OP is looking for dosent even exist now and is well past its sell by date.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,909 times
Good god. Why has no one mentioned NEO. Before Neo was a character in the Matrix movies it has been called Neo and on Clark.

Neo
Industrial/Goth/Whatever the f* they call it these days
2350 North Clark Street
Chicago

Thank me later. This IS what you are looking for. It isn't huge but it is the music and scene you want.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,909 times
read this for some edumacation, chicago is the home of industrial, god I feel old:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wax_Trax!_Records

I will always love thee Wax Trax!

Old 02-24-2010, 01:42 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casetin View Post
Good god. Why has no one mentioned NEO.
I thought about it, but imagined that the scene had changed since I was younger. There used to be a fetish component to that place too, right? I just remember one of my wife's old friends going there dressed in dominatrix garb.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:26 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I thought about it, but imagined that the scene had changed since I was younger. There used to be a fetish component to that place too, right? I just remember one of my wife's old friends going there dressed in dominatrix garb.
my thoughts as well. really, the main problem I had trying to answer was trying to rectify someone wanting to find an underground scene that is totally above ground.

as a few people mentioned, the real house/rave parties were all in warehouses and the like, and although many hired off-duty cops to work the doors none of them were legal, and most were one-off events.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:43 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
NEO sounds okay. Thanks! If I can't find a Das Bunker clone, at this point I'd even settle for something like Dark Bar. Aboveground doesn't bother me, so long as it's something different from a regular top-40's place.

I'm not bashing anyone's music. I just don't like the bar/club scene I feel like I'm stuck with in Indiana. I miss places like Spundae, Circus, Bunker, Shelter, etc. where the point is music and dancing; not trying to pick someone up with the music, drinks, and dancing as an afterthought.

I think Pat Robertson used his witchcraft to break into my car and steal my VNV and Combichrist CD's after I moved here. God obviously loves this state too much to allow Happy Hardcore to be played anywhere but streaming to a heathen computer through shoutcast or something.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:29 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Good call on Neo. This spot should fulfill some of your industrial desires. It has a bit more of a goth feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casetin View Post
Good god. Why has no one mentioned NEO. Before Neo was a character in the Matrix movies it has been called Neo and on Clark.

Neo
Industrial/Goth/Whatever the f* they call it these days
2350 North Clark Street
Chicago

Thank me later. This IS what you are looking for. It isn't huge but it is the music and scene you want.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:57 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
not a dance joint, but you might like Delilah's or Exit for just a drink.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Its called "NEO" and the patrons sound like they dress like Trinity. Hmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago