Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,039,801 times

Advertisements

After fleeing Indiana to live on the coasts, then travel the world, we've made the terrible error of returning (temporarily.) Though it's 3 hours away, Chicago provides our only escape from the soul-crushing environment we've stumbled into.

We desperately need somewhere to dance to something with a real beat. We used to come home a few times every week, soaked through with sweat from cutting loose for a few hours in our favorite underground industrial or trance club. Now I'm ready to chew through my own wrists for a single night of hardcore!

Please help us find a high-intensity club in Chicago. Someplace that's not a meat market, where people actually come for the music and dancing (or drugs) would be best. Trance, any flavor of Hardcore, Industrial, EBM, Powernoise, are all fine.

Just, please, not another *ffing place with a "DJ" playing the "Midwestern Mix." (House from 1993 + R&B from 1995 + what sounds like a pop mix CD from 1997). No more pool tables! No more piano bars! No more goofy fratboy ______ bags bobbing their heads to Kid Rock!! ENOUGH!

Give me an empty warehouse armed with enough bass to trigger an involuntary bowel movement, 600 ravers, and a ___load of alcohol! Something like this has to exist in Chicago, right? Help me out!

Thanks!

Last edited by linicx; 03-01-2010 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 08:29 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,614,826 times
i cant say im exactly tapped into this scene, but the big warehouse parties of years gone by are pretty much gone thanks to anti-rave ordinances. you're basically looking at the same touristy clubs you probably already know about in the river north area.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,682,305 times
It sounds like this guy needed to come to Chicago ten or fifteen years ago when raves and industrial music had a larger following. It's a rapidly fading scene.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,395,626 times
Alright, this venue may not be as large in scale as what you're looking for. Certainly nothing like say, Club Space in Miami, but the music is definitely on point if you're seeking out the electronica. Check out Smart-Bar, which is ironically in Wrigleyville, but has nothing in common with any other club/bar in the entire neighborhood. I think you'll be happy there. People come there for the music. As far as other spots, you'll have to keep an eye out for specific events most likely. Not sure if there's a regular spot for the hardcore house/trance/industrial type music these days. Smart-Bar might be your best bet in Chicago. Sometimes Sound-Bar in River North can be ok (main floor & the VIP area), but you may find it to be too mainstream for your tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
After fleeing Indiana to live on the coasts, then travel the world, we've made the terrible error of returning (temporarily.) Though it's 3 hours away, Chicago provides our only escape from the soul-crushing environment we've stumbled into.

We desperately need somewhere to dance to something with a real beat. We used to come home a few times every week, soaked through with sweat from cutting loose for a few hours in our favorite underground industrial or trance club. Now I'm ready to chew through my own wrists for a single night of hardcore!

Please help us find a high-intensity club in Chicago. Someplace that's not a meat market, where people actually come for the music and dancing (or drugs) would be best. Trance, any flavor of Hardcore, Industrial, EBM, Powernoise, are all fine.

Just, please, not another place with a "DJ" playing the "Midwestern Mix." (House from 1993 + R&B from 1995 + what sounds like a pop mix CD from 1997). No more pool tables! No more piano bars! No more goofy fratboy _____bags bobbing their heads to Kid Rock!! ENOUGH!

Give me an empty warehouse armed with enough bass to trigger an involuntary bowel movement, 600 ravers, and a _____load of alcohol! Something like this has to exist in Chicago, right? Help me out!

Thanks!

Last edited by linicx; 03-01-2010 at 01:09 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,614,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It sounds like this guy needed to come to Chicago ten or fifteen years ago when raves and industrial music had a larger following. It's a rapidly fading scene.
There really isnt a outlet for people into dance/electronica at all in this city. Sonotheque gave it a go with the concept of being a club for people who actually care about the music, but even they in their small size had difficulty and are now defunct. I know theres been talk of having a summer festival revolve around "intelligent dance" which was being spearheaded by the newly formed Chicago Electronic Music & Arts Coalition, but there hasnt been any news from those guys in close to a year.
Chicago Electronic Music and Arts Coalition

Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 AM

3,080 posts, read 11,039,801 times
Thanks for the tips, names, and the links. I'll do my homework and hopefully they'll yield something fruitful!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:12 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,682,305 times
I know a guy who's really in to House music, and he typically follows specific DJs around the city to different locations instead of becoming a regular at a specific club. He has no trouble finding the specific niche within House music that he's in to (I can't remember what it is because I am not in to House music at all). I think he's also into Trance, but probably not the other genres listed by the OP. I'd check with him, but he recently moved to California.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:45 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,395,626 times
Hmm, this is sort of taking a cue from Lookout Kid's insight about his friend and the DJ tips. Get in touch with the friendly folks at Gramaphone Records in Chicago. This record store is a hangout and outlet for many DJ's, both local & visiting that are looking to buy the hottest new electronic records on wax. Usually there are fliers lying around the store, and plus you can ask the staff and/or any visiting DJ's about the hottest events taking place in town. I know for a fact that they specialize in electronica (house/trance, etc. etc.), so you can't go wrong. Their store is in the Lincoln Park / Lakeview area. near Diversey & Clark Here's their website:

GRAMAPHONE RECORDS - Chicago, IL

And here's the website for Smart Bar, that I suggested earlier:

Smart Bar | Chicago

And the more mainstream & larger Sound-Bar (way more annoying Jersey Shore type clientele, and you may not dig as much of the music, but they do play some good electronic at times on the main floor & VIP areas):

Chicago Nightclub | Upscale Chicago Nightclub | Chicago Nightclubs | Chicago Clubs | Chicago Dancing | Chicago Dance Clubs | Late Night Dancing Chicago | Martini Lounge Chicago | Chicago House Music | Upscale Nightclubs Chicago | Clubbing Chicago | C

Other large clubs more similar to Sound-Bar, but beware of very annoying fistbumping clientele (after all, we have the most guidos of any Midwestern city):

Vision Nightclub: Vision Night Club Chicago

Crobar (Chicago): crobar

There has to be more, but these are some of the key choices that come to mind. I like reading reviews on Yelp (www.yelp.com) for clubs when I can. Good luck!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,187,731 times
Quote:

Just, please, not another place with a "DJ" playing the "Midwestern Mix." (House from 1993 + R&B from 1995 + what sounds like a pop mix CD from 1997). No more pool tables! No more piano bars! No more goofy fratboy bags bobbing their heads to Kid Rock!! ENOUGH!

Give me an empty warehouse armed with enough bass to trigger an involuntary bowel movement, 600 ravers, and a load of alcohol! Something like this has to exist in Chicago, right? Help me out!

Thanks!
Take your daily hit of acid, put on some Benny Benassi, a strobe, and call it a night.

Last edited by linicx; 03-01-2010 at 01:10 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 AM

180 posts, read 376,868 times
Quote:
Give me an empty warehouse armed with enough bass to trigger an involuntary bowel movement, 600 ravers, and a ****load of alcohol! Something like this has to exist in Chicago, right? Help me out!
LOL and you're bashing 90s music/trends... oh the irony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago