Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:35 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
I'm looking at an apartment at Augusta and Ashland, a couple blocks south from there. I'm not particularly concerned for myself, but for my girlfriend. We've lived at Damen and Wabansia, and I know this area will be a lot quieter and less populated after hours. Anyway, do you guys see this as a sign of a rising trend, or just a random blip?
It is something that had always happened at some rate for decades. Of course, it has calmed down around there the last several years as prices have gone up. I would not expect these things all the time-but they still happen. Until the areas around it get heavily gentrified (if they ever do ) they will still happen more often than one likes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 PM

767 posts, read 489,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtom29 View Post
man's earrings stolen. Now that's funny.
lol.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 AM

269 posts, read 717,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
"The assailants, possibly aged 20 to 25, displayed a hand gun and ordered the men onto North Paulina Street..."

4 robbed on Wicker Park street; 1 shot - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/10/4-men-from-indiana-robbed-in-wicker-park.html?obref=obinsite - broken link)

Paulina runs right next to the Jewel.
Yeah, but where they were robbed it was more likely they were forced on to the part of Paulina that is not by the Jewel. It doesn't go straight across Milwaukee, that part of Paulina is totally residential.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet123 View Post
Yeah, but where they were robbed it was more likely they were forced on to the part of Paulina that is not by the Jewel. It doesn't go straight across Milwaukee, that part of Paulina is totally residential.
What are you talking about? The parking lot next to the Jewel goes all the way to Milwaukee.

================================================== ========================

Ok certain (cough WGN-Chicago Breaking News) websites need to be more specific when they post locations. The way they worded it it led me to believe this happened north of Milwaukee on Paulina.

This is what I got from other sites:

"The two suspects approached a group of four people about 2:10 a.m. in the 1200 block of North Paulina Street"

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/crime/wicker-park-robbery-man-shot-two-suspects-shot-20101008 (broken link)

"A man in his 20s suffered a gunshot wound to the leg about 2:10 a.m. in the 1200 block of North Paulina Street"

http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2783824,wicker-park-libraries-100810.article (broken link)

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-13-2010 at 01:48 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 01:51 PM

By the way what kind of description is this ?:

"Police are seeking two men in their 20s who were wearing dark clothing."

Police seek two assailants in Wicker Park robberies :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime (http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2783824,wicker-park-libraries-100810.article - broken link)

Old 10-13-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Very true. Division Street was blessed with some very wide sidewalks. It's unusual to see such a large area given over to pedestrians in this city.
Usually "streets" have larger sidewalks (or at least are supposed to) than "avenues." But you know that.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Nice jacking of a few hipsters from Indiana near the intersection early this morning:

4 robbed on Wicker Park street; 1 shot - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/10/4-men-from-indiana-robbed-in-wicker-park.html?obref=obinsite - broken link)
Thanks for the crime update ChiMack.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:34 AM

269 posts, read 717,184 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? The parking lot next to the Jewel goes all the way to Milwaukee.

================================================== ========================

Ok certain (cough WGN-Chicago Breaking News) websites need to be more specific when they post locations. The way they worded it it led me to believe this happened north of Milwaukee on Paulina.

This is what I got from other sites:

"The two suspects approached a group of four people about 2:10 a.m. in the 1200 block of North Paulina Street"

Man Shot During Wicker Park Robbery; Two Suspects Sought (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/crime/wicker-park-robbery-man-shot-two-suspects-shot-20101008 - broken link)

"A man in his 20s suffered a gunshot wound to the leg about 2:10 a.m. in the 1200 block of North Paulina Street"

Police seek two assailants in Wicker Park robberies :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime (http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2783824,wicker-park-libraries-100810.article - broken link)
I was basing it on that it wouldn't be reasonable to assume that robbers would force someone on to the well lit part of Paulina, the part of Paulina south of Milwaukee is not well lit... which turns out to be the case.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:45 AM

9 posts, read 18,296 times
SarahChicagoApt1:

This area of the city is making gains in regards to the characters hanging around the area. It's become more of the earthy / artist / yuppie / hippie type neighborhood. Yes, there is low income housing there, but don't leave the area simply because of that. Low income people are not all monsters and criminals.

I grew up going to school and doing business there. It HAS gotten way better than it used to be. Cleaver is one street in the area that still leaves a lot to be desired especially in the way of Public Safety. I would continue to look around the area and see what you find. I need to be honest with you and let you know that there are no absolutely "safe" areas in the city, anywhere, period!

We're living in a depression right now and that means everyone is doing whatever it takes to survive, including an increase in crime. The Superintendent of the Chicago Police Dept just destroyed what was known as CAPS (Chicago Alternative Policing Strategy) and now us citizens are left to work together without the type of police support we once had.

No matter where you live, you'll have neighbors who are black, hispanic, asian, indian, etc. Just cause the area ain't white don't mean it can't be right! Support the end of racism by practicing acceptance wherever you go!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:55 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
We're in a depression?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago