U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:18 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,078,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
I rather see another Oak Park than a declining area where crimimials, thugs, gangbangers, etc. are moving in with increasing crime,shootings ,drugs, blight and rampant white and/or middle class flight.
Old school working class whites who live in formerly working class inner-ring suburbs and City neighborhoods are in quite the quandry these days. On one hand, they do not like yuppies and DINKS, or their values. But on the other hand, these groups are, for the most part, the only Caucasian groups who will move into these areas in any kind of numbers. So they, reluctantly, endorse the yuppies and DINKs over other interested parties. It definitely creates an interesting dynamic in these communities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 03:02 PM

36 posts, read 62,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Old school working class whites who live in formerly working class inner-ring suburbs and City neighborhoods are in quite the quandry these days. On one hand, they do not like yuppies and DINKS, or their values. But on the other hand, these groups are, for the most part, the only Caucasian groups who will move into these areas in any kind of numbers. So they, reluctantly, endorse the yuppies and DINKs over other interested parties. It definitely creates an interesting dynamic in these communities!

Very true. Look at the northwest and southwest neighborhoods of Chicago.

However, like it's been mentioned before, the recent economic turmoil has definitely put a damper on many up-and-coming Yuppies' plans. More people are staying put, including young adults saving money by living with their families.

Many of my friends who are under thirty never left or moved back with their families. A very large number of these live in inner-ring suburbs or on the NW or SW sides of the city.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:52 AM

15,589 posts, read 12,684,788 times
This is the future of Portage Park :

"About 12:20 a.m. in the Portage Park neighborhood, a 25-year-old man was shot in his leg in the 5200 block of West Addison Street, Grand Central Area police said. The man was taken to Our Lady of the Resurrection Medical Center."

At least 9 hurt in multiple overnight shootings - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/06/at-least-9-injured-in-multiple-shootings-on-northwest-side.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&ut m_campaign=Feed%3A+ChicagoBreakingNews+%28Chicago+ Breaking+News%29 - broken link)

This would have never happened 5-10 years ago in Portage Park.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:09 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,154,916 times
Blame gentrification in other areas

And also that's pretty odd how a lot of shootings last night where on the northwest side...
Logan, Albany, Portgage, Irving...

Old 06-27-2010, 05:14 PM

2,476 posts, read 3,121,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
This is the future of Portage Park :

"About 12:20 a.m. in the Portage Park neighborhood, a 25-year-old man was shot in his leg in the 5200 block of West Addison Street, Grand Central Area police said. The man was taken to Our Lady of the Resurrection Medical Center."

At least 9 hurt in multiple overnight shootings - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/06/at-least-9-injured-in-multiple-shootings-on-northwest-side.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&ut m_campaign=Feed%3A+ChicagoBreakingNews+%28Chicago+ Breaking+News%29 - broken link)

This would have never happened 5-10 years ago in Portage Park.
And wasn't it just a couple months ago when some gunman opened fire in a barber shop somewhere around Irving Park Road and Central Avenue?

That's really sad. Every time I take a walk through Portage Park's residential sections, it seems like such a quiet, peaceful area. Sometimes I imagine myself buying a little bungalow or cape cod up there and tending a little garden or something... yeah, I know, I'm gettin' old.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
...Sometimes I imagine myself buying a little bungalow or cape cod up there and tending a little garden or something... yeah, I know, I'm gettin' old.
I used to think that way about Portage Park as a teenager. I saw the future and the dream floated away.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 PM

36 posts, read 62,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Blame gentrification in other areas

And also that's pretty odd how a lot of shootings last night where on the northwest side...
Logan, Albany, Portgage, Irving...

Also Humboldt Park, too. Over 5 years ago, you'd hear more about this kind of stuff happening in Albany, Humboldt and Logan.

For a good laugh, post crime statistics on the talk threads on Yelp.com and watch how many of the gentrifiers comment in disbelief that crime should ever occur in those areas.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 6,078 times
Interesting post. My boyfriend bought a beautiful bungalow in Portage Park almost a year ago. I've moved in with him and we are two, I guess what was referred to before as, "working class white" Chicago people. We're both from the city, born and raised within city limits from very hardworking families, and neither one of us ever wanted to move to the suburbs (now, out to rural farm areas is a different story). The only reason why we would consider moving is because of political city corruption and how it affects taxes (but that's another story).
Portage Park is still full of really good people and families. With that said, here's our experience: We have two bungalows on either side of us, both of the owners are Latinos. The neighbor on the left side of us is respectful, quiet, very pleasant to talk to and lives with his wife and daughter. The guy on the right side of us is loud and very rude, plus, I don't know how many people he has living in his house. It seems like the guy has a bunch of kids and whatever else family members living there have a bunch of little kids and then you have these guys who wait outside the house for the women to come out and talk to them while they sit in their cars with loud music on and the babies screaming. I don't think anything illegal is going on, but it's just a different lifestyle and one that continually annoys us as two very quiet people that don't want any children.
It seems like there are a lot of Latinos in the area, but I wouldn't say they are the only ethnicity represented on the block (for instance, I see a lot more Middle Eastern people than I would've expected, although the Middle Eastern population seems to be really growing in my mom's Mayfair neighborhood more than PP).
Honestly, it's not really about a race issue, it's just about people being decent, respectful and not overpopulating their little bungalows by adding on basement and attic apartments, which is what I think our one neighbor has done, unfortunately. But I love the area. I take my dog to the park twice a day and most of the houses in the neighborhood (especially east and north of the actual Portage Park) are beautiful and well taken care of. Before we got the puppy, we used to walk to the Bank of America cinema on Saturday night, which shows old movies and charges $5...and it's in a bank! Just little odd stuff like that makes this neighborhood really great to live in and perfect for us.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreschke View Post
...Before we got the puppy, we used to walk to the Bank of America cinema on Saturday night, which shows old movies and charges $5...and it's in a bank! Just little odd stuff like that makes this neighborhood really great to live in and perfect for us.
Screw BOA. Support the Portage Theater!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,791 times
I'm of Mexican decent and have lived on the North side all my life, currently in Lincoln Square. I went to St. Benedict grammar school and i remember the area including west to Portage Park being quiet and a nice place to live. However in recent years as minorities moved into the area, you started seeing shootings and gang activity. Its sad to see this. I hate saying this because i'm also a minority but its the way it is. The fact is the area was safe when it was all white, plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago