Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 AM

14 posts, read 33,437 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I live in in England, but I recently posted here,
3 months in Arizona
about living in the US for 3 of the summer months,

A poster there recommended Chicago, but I'm not familiar with the city so I wondered if someone can help me,

Apartments I checked craigslist and chicago seems more expensive than Phoenix but not as expensive as I thought,
I'm looking for a small furnished apartment (studio is fine). is $600/month realistic?

Groceries? How much should someone expect to spend per month?

Transport I heard the public transport system is great in the city, I guess it's not worth having a car,

Any other advice anyone can give me would be most appreciated, as well as recommendations of other areas (Bearing in mind I need to do this without spending too much)

Thanks a lot!

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 03:43 AM

445 posts, read 1,344,158 times
One bit of advice I would give anyone is to not shop housing in Chicago from afar, when you have no idea what the various neighborhoods are comprised of. It's all too easy to get a notion in your head based on 'internet research' that just doesn't reflect reality, either overly positive or overly negative. Some areas are a no-way all around ("...but this house in Roseland looks just SO lovely! And the name! Roseland! Are there roses there? I love roses!), while others, it's a block-to-block sort of thing. This is obviously going to be hard for you since you're a bit too far away to be taking scout-out trips, but check craigslist and post the places you're looking at here; someone on here will almost always live around there and will tell you what's up.

600/mo, you're usually going to be living in an 'exciting' neighborhood, however, the rental market seems to be pretty soft right now and since you are willing to take a Studio, you can probably get someplace decent if you shop around a bit. As far as furnished, I doubt that, but there's always trash picking and freecycle, if you're only planning on being here for a short period of time. For three months, I could probably get by with not much more than a pillow, sleeping bag and a milk-crate coffee table for my computer. Others need things to resemble something more civilized, so it's a personal thing.

Public transportation is better in some areas than it is in others, but yeah, it's generally pretty good anywhere you go. If you're living in a dicier area, consider the fact that you will have to be standing on a train platform or bus stop at whatever hours you keep, which can be populated by loitering ghouls during off-peak hours.

Groceries are up to you. $40 a month if you want to eat Ramen two meals a day, $400+ a month if wine and gourmet cheese is a staple of your daily menu.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
One bit of advice I would give anyone is to not shop housing in Chicago from afar, when you have no idea what the various neighborhoods are comprised of. It's all too easy to get a notion in your head based on 'internet research' that just doesn't reflect reality, either overly positive or overly negative. Some areas are a no-way all around ("...but this house in Roseland looks just SO lovely! And the name! Roseland! Are there roses there? I love roses!), while others, it's a block-to-block sort of thing. This is obviously going to be hard for you since you're a bit too far away to be taking scout-out trips, but check craigslist and post the places you're looking at here; someone on here will almost always live around there and will tell you what's up.

600/mo, you're usually going to be living in an 'exciting' neighborhood, however, the rental market seems to be pretty soft right now and since you are willing to take a Studio, you can probably get someplace decent if you shop around a bit. As far as furnished, I doubt that, but there's always trash picking and freecycle, if you're only planning on being here for a short period of time. For three months, I could probably get by with not much more than a pillow, sleeping bag and a milk-crate coffee table for my computer. Others need things to resemble something more civilized, so it's a personal thing.

Public transportation is better in some areas than it is in others, but yeah, it's generally pretty good anywhere you go. If you're living in a dicier area, consider the fact that you will have to be standing on a train platform or bus stop at whatever hours you keep, which can be populated by loitering ghouls during off-peak hours.

Groceries are up to you. $40 a month if you want to eat Ramen two meals a day, $400+ a month if wine and gourmet cheese is a staple of your daily menu.
Thanks a lot for the reply
You're right I should take a "research vacation" beforehand to get a feel for the different areas. Right now I'm looking at craigslist and I'm seeing studios for 500/month (East Rogers Park) but I know nothing about the area whatsoever.
I get your point about groceries, but seems like an average person would spend $200/mo on food, which is what I budgeted for.
Thanks again,
J

Old 03-12-2010, 05:35 AM

445 posts, read 1,344,158 times
Rogers Park = Block to Block.
I'm actually pretty bullish on Rogers Park going into the future, but there can still be a degree of diceyness there.

In your price range, +$50 seems to make a considerable difference. I'm seeing studios in prime areas (LP, Gold Coast) in the $650 range.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:03 AM

143 posts, read 440,382 times
$200 a month translates into about $45-$50 a week, which is about $6.5 a day. I doubt that's going to feed you well. If you get $1.99 burgers or ramen, that's a different story.

I usually spend about $200 a week, not a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyisLost View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply
You're right I should take a "research vacation" beforehand to get a feel for the different areas. Right now I'm looking at craigslist and I'm seeing studios for 500/month (East Rogers Park) but I know nothing about the area whatsoever.
I get your point about groceries, but seems like an average person would spend $200/mo on food, which is what I budgeted for.
Thanks again,
J

Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,996,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyisLost View Post
Transport I heard the public transport system is great in the city, I guess it's not worth having a car,

Any other advice anyone can give me would be most appreciated, as well as recommendations of other areas (Bearing in mind I need to do this without spending too much)

Thanks a lot!

J
Transportation in the city is good, but depending on where you are going and what you are doing you could need a car from time to time. If you are downtown doing touristy things then no, you don't need a car. If you need to get to the far burbs or get around the burbs then you may need a car.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:28 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillejane View Post
$200 a month translates into about $45-$50 a week, which is about $6.5 a day. I doubt that's going to feed you well. If you get $1.99 burgers or ramen, that's a different story.

I usually spend about $200 a week, not a month.
While I also spend $200 a week, I don't think most people do. Certainly one can easily feed oneself in Chicago on $50/week if you are more of an "eat to live" type and not concerned with eating your way through the fine dining restaurants of downtown.

As for grocery shopping, enerally speaking the closer a grocery store is to the Lakefront, the more expensive it will be. You can often save money by taking the bus to a grocery store a few miles west, even if it's the same brand as closer ones. Also, for certain kinds of staples, you can get good deals in ethnic neighborhoods, for example Chinatown often has great prices on vegetables.

In the summer, too, there are farmers markets around the city. if you're willing to travel, you could visit one every day I think although most individual locations are only open one or two days a week.

If you want to try out a few nicer restaurants inexpensively, just to see more of the whole range of what Chicago can offer, check out places at lunchtime when prices are lower, and don't order alcohol. Doing those two things will let you try fine dining without breaking the bank. You'd have to supplement your $200/month, but to eat a modest lunch at a nice place once a week could be done for an additional $100-$150/month. Not a tiny amount, but probably doable if it were something you really wanted to do.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
As for public transportation being "great..." eh, not quite. Comprehensive, yes. Great, not necessarily. Our train system is laid out in a "spoke and hub" arrangement, meaning our mass transit system is rather efficient at moving people from outlying areas into the central business district in the mornings and back out in the evenings. However, it's not very efficient at moving people from one outlying neighborhood to another outlying neighborhood unless both neighborhoods happen to be on the same train line.

That said, there are certain neighborhoods where you will find just about everything you need along a single train line, or at least with a relatively painless transfer to another train line. (BTW, East Rogers Park is one of them.) In short, the key to a satisfying no-car existence in Chicago is to live near a CTA train station. Buses can get you around the other parts of town, but they will do so at their own leisure, which may or may not conform to your own time schedule.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
While I also spend $200 a week, I don't think most people do. Certainly one can easily feed oneself in Chicago on $50/week if you are more of an "eat to live" type and not concerned with eating your way through the fine dining restaurants of downtown.
It's nice to hear it's doable. I do like to eat out but I'd be prepared to sacrafice it if it starts to break the bank

Old 03-13-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
As for public transportation being "great..." eh, not quite. Comprehensive, yes. Great, not necessarily. .
By great I guess I did mean comprehensive. As long as I can get to most places without needing a car I'll be happy. Even if it means taking a train downtown and then out again.
Thanks for the tip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago