U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-23-2010, 09:31 PM

11 posts, read 14,441 times
Default Areas of Rogers Park

I am considering moving to Rogers Park and have found two places that appeal to me. One is on Estes, near Glenwood and the other apartment is on Ashland, near Jarvis. All things being equal, which is a better area in terms of lower crime and things to do?

I've gone through all of the Rogers Park threads and it's pretty obvious there's a general feeling that the neighborhood is street by street in terms of crime and how nice things are. Can anyone provide a recent evaluation and specifically these two areas?

I've also heard some bad things about the Morse stop. How does it compare to Jarvis? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 01:27 PM

543 posts, read 1,151,435 times
Also wondering the same about the area (Greenleaf and Glenwood) and the Morse stop off the Red Line... can anyone chime in?

Old 03-24-2010, 02:14 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,022,719 times
it's block by block - so I will offer my stock response: Go and walk around on a late evening on a Fri and/or Sat and get a feel for it. RP specifically is one of those areas that can be Jekyll and Hyde when contrasting what they're like during the day vs at night.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,306,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
Morse stop off the Red Line... can anyone chime in?
If you'll be using the train regularly I would try to steer clear of this stop. The liquor/check cashing/whatever businesses there allow for tons of idiots to hang around all hours. If you need to use the stop after 9 or 10 at night I'd recommend walking north or south on Greenview, not Glenwood, as it's more heavily trafficed and less secluded.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:00 PM

320 posts, read 498,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
Also wondering the same about the area (Greenleaf and Glenwood) and the Morse stop off the Red Line... can anyone chime in?
Stay away from Morse. It is by far the most dangerous stop on the Red Line. Howard has a police substation there, Jarvis is a nicer neighborhood, and Loyola is policed pretty well by the campus.

At Morse, for years, they have had problems with bands of youth attacking random people....not even robbing them sometimes.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,306,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
Stay away from Morse. It is by far the most dangerous stop on the Red Line.
...on the northside.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:09 PM

10,065 posts, read 16,869,389 times
It's not called "Morse Hell Hole" for nuthin'!

www.morsehellhole.blogspot.com

This blog is entertaining at times, but the author is a bit of an egomaniac who thinks he's a vigilante. But it makes for so good reading/viewing.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:59 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,015,718 times
I used to live at Lunt and Sheridan and have used the Morse Station at all hours of the day and night. Personally, I never had any problems. However I know there are those that have.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:43 AM

320 posts, read 498,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
...on the northside.
No. On all the Red Line. Its the dangerous combination of a not-so-savory element, as well a neighborhood, low-traffic setting that allows for good cover.

The Red Line stops on the South Side are all relatively bustling areas of retail activity.

I was a four year veteran of Morse Ave. Had my car broken into twice, my apartment building broken into continually by people wanting the quarters in the laundry and whatever they could grab in the storage lockers. Had a debit card lifted and used to charge up their cell phones at a store right next to a stop. Saw a hell of a stabbing, and walked over blood from a shooting that happened at the station turnstiles.

And I lived on "the nice side", east of Sheridan, on the lake!

Old 04-08-2010, 12:50 PM

77 posts, read 125,642 times
I use to live at Lunt and Ashland. I stayed in a beautiful condo and I would get off on the Morse stop on the LUNT SIDE next to Heartland Cafe. Never the Morse Side and I never ever had problems. I don't know anyone who has. However, I never would stay out and about past 11:30PM anyhow. So????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago