U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,781,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
A-F'ing-Men
I hate, hate, HATE the 'trickery' method of doing business and am perfectly willing to pay a little more to know what I'm getting, like what I receive and not have to worry about investing an endless amount of thought in analyzing a constant stream of 'clever corporate ideas' that change the product, price and service.

Offer a good product, price it fairly and put it to market. The 'Arab Bazaar' method of constantly vacillating prices is just idiotic and will immediately turn off half your customer base, the moment they get a whiff of it.
No sh**. "Turkish Bazaar" is a good way to describe the business model. My never-again list:

ATT
Comcast
ADT
Citi
Best Buy
Ed Napelton
United Airlines (on the brink)

I gravitate toward the straight shooters
American Express
Southwest Airlines
Credit Unions
East Bank Club

The lists go on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:02 PM

10,611 posts, read 18,112,931 times
^Good list.

Anyone remember those CD/record clubs from years ago? It's the same business model as Bally's.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM

504 posts, read 903,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
My never-again list:

ATT
Comcast
What do you use for internet? I was fed up with Comcast, so I switched to AT&T, but they're no better. I'd switch again if there was some better option out there.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
What do you use for internet? I was fed up with Comcast, so I switched to AT&T, but they're no better. I'd switch again if there was some better option out there.
Good question.
I bagged it. When I want to see I game I head to one of the pubs on western. Otherwise, more quality time with the family and more reading. It hurt for a week. Now I feel liberated. I use netflix streaming to see movies and carefully chosen tv series.

Of course comcast billed me for the better part of a year. I wasted days of work trying to get them to stop. They eventually blamed it on their computer system, told me to ignore the bills and credit threats. Unbelievably sucky company.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
^Good list.

Anyone remember those CD/record clubs from years ago? It's the same business model as Bally's.
Great point -- Columbia Records. Thirteen records for a penny (and hundreds thereafter that you get billed for if you don't return). They are the pioneers of a generation of incredible sleaziness.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:24 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,170,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Something unbelievable just happened to me at the 25 e washington ballys. Some black dude (have witness) stole my dirty gym shoes while I was taking a shower.

Unbelieveable.

This was after I had worked out and the dirty socks were still in it. What is really odd is that this guy was 5'9 and they were size 13 shoes, probably way too big for him. I am debating cancelling my membership over this.

The security guard begged me for his job as this happened less than 10 feet from where he was sitting down in the locker room. He pointed repeatedly at the sign saying they were not responsible but really, dirty shoes? I almost understand a wallet or a nice watch, but shoes than have just been worked out in?

I am calling corporate to see what can be done but will not bother filing a police report over 60 dollar shoes (I always buy basic shoes). I guess I will just buy another pair tomorrow, the same exact kind if I can.

I don't think I would experience this kind of crap at Fitness Formula or some other club where you pay 100 or more a month. I worked out at Fitness Formula for 5 years and never had a problem and never had to hear fellow members talk about their baby's momma and other ghetto talk that you often get at cheaper gyms like ballys and even xsport to a lesser extent.
Holy you-know-what. There's some things you don't do to a brother, and one of them is definitely hawking his shoes and gym socks. I mean, what if you needed those to get home? You'd have literally been able to tell your kids that you walked 3 miles home barefoot, since they wouldn't have let you on the L.

I'm not a particularly religious man but maybe God is trying to tell you something here (hint - not that you need new shoes). I've noted over time that you seem to have a real issue with things 'hood-related. Maybe you're just not meant for an urban area. If half of the things that happen to you happened to me I'd be out in Mokena by now!

Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,940,415 times
Default Bru

I would go back to rural Indiana in a heartbeat if I could find a good paying job out there. I am still stay in touch with the head of Middle Market Banking (started with him 8 years ago at another bank when he was Commercial RM like I am now). I have considered asking him about openings. I would still be working in Indy area but would be able to relocate to somewhat rural area near my family in southern Indiana.

I have been thru alot in the past 7 years in Chicago. I was also almost killed 12 years ago by 4 ghetto black dudes in St. Louis, so getting ripped off by ghetto people is nothing new to me. Last night, some gangbangers spray painted my garage with gang symbols which I had contractor paint over this morning. I HATE ghetto people and wish they were never born as they add nothing to society and only take from people.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:30 PM

10,611 posts, read 18,112,931 times
Quote:
Last night, some gangbangers spray painted my garage with gang symbols which I had contractor paint over this morning. I HATE ghetto people and wish they were never born as they add nothing to society and only take from people.
You came to Chicago and invested in real estate in some pretty rough parts of the city (i.e. Humboldt Park). I think most people in your position are more isolated from the "ghetto" elements of Chicago and stick to safer north lakefront neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Lake View. So my question is: If you are so bothered by the ghetto and the people there, why did you move there? Did you come in with a different view of humanity, and now your faith in people has been broken? Was it purely to make money? There are certainly easier paths to take that would subject you to much lower levels of risk.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:46 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,170,436 times
Quote:
I would go back to rural Indiana in a heartbeat if I could find a good paying job out there. I am still stay in touch with the head of Middle Market Banking (started with him 8 years ago at another bank when he was Commercial RM like I am now). I have considered asking him about openings. I would still be working in Indy area but would be able to relocate to somewhat rural area near my family in southern Indiana.

I have been thru alot in the past 7 years in Chicago. I was also almost killed 12 years ago by 4 ghetto black dudes in St. Louis, so getting ripped off by ghetto people is nothing new to me. Last night, some gangbangers spray painted my garage with gang symbols which I had contractor paint over this morning. I HATE ghetto people and wish they were never born as they add nothing to society and only take from people.
This is almost the equivalent of being in the haunted house, feeling cold, boney fingers on your shoulder, and hearing a creepy voice quietly whisper "get out" directly in your ear. I don't know about you guys but if that were to happen to me, Bru67 and all his stuff would be loaded in, on top, and even dragging behind his car within the hour!

I lived in Logan Square and Uptown in the pre-gentrification days and never had anything serious happen to me there. I also worked out at that very same Bally's for a long time and, again, nothing. You may be cursed my man.

Why does it have to be rural Indiana? Heck, we Chicagoans have done a pretty nice job with urban sprawl ourselves, if I may. You could also go to Frankfort, Geneva, Barrington, or even Yorkville and still get downtown (it would take a lot longer but good god man, who cares?). Life's too short. Why waste it being around folks you can't stand?

Old 04-07-2010, 05:42 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,940,415 times
Southern Indiana because that is where my family is. I am the only one in Illinois. My closest relative is a brother in Laporte, IN.

I don't have 200 years of history in Illinois or farmland like in Indiana.

I also came to Chicago to make money and did have my nave eyes opened. I have learned a lot about real estate, especially in the hood to the point where I could make a living simply advising people on what buildings to buy or not. I know the neighborhoods especially the northwest side.

I am actually looking at more buildings but in logan square and will be partnering with contactor (who has not screwed me in 4 years working together) to help identify good buildings and manage them. He already owns 2flat in logan square and would buy more but doesn't have my deep pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago