U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 04:07 AM

166 posts, read 211,939 times
I started a job search in January. I was extremely selective in the companies that I applied to because I had specific type of work in mind. I want to actually be happy to go to work in the morning. So I sent out exactly 4 resumes. I received 3 calls, but I really liked one company in particular, and I never really called the other 2. I went through:

- 2 phone interviews with the recruiter
- 1 extremely technical phone interview with two senior level engineers
- 1 face to face interview with 3 engineers
- drug testing, background check etc. etc.

I wore a suit, and I sold myself very well. I was hired on the spot. And I only have 2 years relevant work experience, and I am still 1 year from completing my Masters. So I think I got lucky because this is a truly world class company, but I don't think IT is doing too bad.

When I graduate though I am moving to Seattle because I have some opportunities lined up out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 05:20 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,829,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post

My husband has gotten straight A's his entire life. He studied in Switzerland for a year, he's travelled to 4 different continents, he has a B.A. and M.A in International Relations from the University of Chicago...I don't understand why someone w/ his qualifications cannot find a job. What the f*** is going on?!
It's the industry you and your hubby are in that may be the problem. My group (in health care) has been looking for internists, orthopedic surgeons, ophthalmologists, ENTs, OB GYns for the last 3 years. The internists (the lowest earning of this group) are being offered $200K with $20 to 40K signing bonus. No takers. The current physicians we have are burned out with the patient load.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:07 AM

226 posts, read 330,578 times
I've gotten multiple job offers since I moved here about a month ago. I ended up taking one of the first ones I got, mainly out of fear that nothing else would come along, but I'm STILL getting responses to my resume, so I suppose I was probably too hasty in making my decision.

I work in IT/System Administration/Web Development. I do have a Bachelors degree, though I honestly don't think it has helped me secure any jobs; my experience and knowledge have.

I think IT work is pretty big here in Chicago right now. In my experience, anyway. I've gotten phone calls/email "callbacks" from about 5-6 companies in the past 2 weeks, all located in the Chicagoland area.

Oh, and for the record, I have knuckle tattoos, and take slight offense to the comment in the OP.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:42 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,643,941 times
I would not call this encouraging, but this is what the unemployment rate stands in Chicago until July's numbers are released.

"Chicago's unemployment rate was at 10.6 percent at the end of June, the report said, down from 10.9 percent a year ago."

Chicago Jobless Rate Posts First Drop in 3 Years - Chicago News (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/chicago-jobless-rate-posts-first-drop-in-3-years-20100722 - broken link)

Old 07-23-2010, 05:36 PM

4,793 posts, read 8,255,156 times
Maybe age discrimination is keeping me unemployed as I'm 41. I haven't even had 1 interview since moving to Chicago on Feb 11, 2009. I look for Mech Eng, Mech Designer, Technical Writer, and CAD jobs.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:03 PM

20 posts, read 25,022 times
I got my job in the most inauspicious way possible -- a form application at a university where I knew no one, and I only have a B.S. My department is desperately looking for research technicians in nearly every field of biology. I also know that medical technologists (the people who run your clinical tests) are in incredibly high demand in this area. Intelligent, science-minded people are far more likely to become doctors than to etch out a career in the lab, so a young person fresh out of college can have their pick of places to work. If you know any college-aged people, urge them to study science if they don't want to be left behind in this economy. I enjoy the liberal arts and do a lot of diverse reading in my spare time, but far too many young people think they should be paid to be creative instead of productive.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:30 AM

721 posts, read 1,519,209 times
Default Jobs

Chicagoland area isn't as bad off as many other areas in the country. I'm in the same boat as others, I feel I'm underpaid and doing a job that's not my dream job but its a job, its stable and I get benefits so i'm hanging onto it.

That said I have a handful of buddies who have recently switched jobs, gotten new jobs, etc and all are pretty good jobs so things aren't as doom and gloom as others have made it out to be not talking about this post in particular just in general.

I think you have a pretty good skill set with the things you mentioned and CAD drafting type stuff. There are tons of sales jobs for CAd type things in this area where you can make a pretty good buck, even if sales aren't what your looking for its something to fall back on if you have skills with that type of stuff.

You have a pretty unique skill set, its tougher for recent grads or people just a few years out of school like myself who have liberal arts degrees not really geared towards anything and not a whole lot of experience in anything in particular.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:46 PM

119 posts, read 118,352 times
I posted this in a similar thread but I think the bottom line is... Liberal Arts degrees are completely useless in today's economy. I really wish someone had told me that 5 years ago, it would have saved both my family and I a lot of money and debt.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:01 AM

721 posts, read 1,519,209 times
Default jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
I posted this in a similar thread but I think the bottom line is... Liberal Arts degrees are completely useless in today's economy. I really wish someone had told me that 5 years ago, it would have saved both my family and I a lot of money and debt.
Bardot, I was also postering on the other thread. You seem really bitter about this. You and your hubby got multiple degrees in what I take are useless fields and now your mad.

I think all along even as a 17 year old kid going into college that a liberal arts degree was pretty useless. Being 17 and immature and just wanting the easy road and to party and have a good time at college I was cool with that at the time, looking back not hte best decision.

I agree lib arts degrees kinda suck but they aren't totally useless. Many times you wouldn't even be able to get an interview without that piece of paper so that's what its good for is getting you in the door.

You gotta learn some new skills on your own time incorporate that into your resume and sell that to an employer b/c you music appreciate degree or whatever you have that your so bitter about getting is not going to do muhc for you.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:55 AM

3,131 posts, read 2,949,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Maybe age discrimination is keeping me unemployed as I'm 41. I haven't even had 1 interview since moving to Chicago on Feb 11, 2009. I look for Mech Eng, Mech Designer, Technical Writer, and CAD jobs.
At this point, you've been out of work too long to get callbacks without knowing someone who can vouch for you in the company. And I don't think 41 is too old, although you can shorten up your resume and leave off some dates and see if that helps.

I'd also say that, while I don't know you, from your other postings you don't present as being particularly ambitious. If you come across that way on the phone or in a job inquiry it won't help matters either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago