Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 PM

226 posts, read 382,041 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if we could get an update on the job market here in Chicago. My husband and I graduated in the summer of 2008 (obviously, the brink of the recession). It was so dire we had to move out of state (back in with our parents). After saving some money we just recently moved back to Chicago a few weeks ago, but we still haven't found jobs yet.

My husband has gotten straight A's his entire life. He studied in Switzerland for a year, he's travelled to 4 different continents, he has a B.A. and M.A in International Relations from the University of Chicago...I don't understand why someone w/ his qualifications cannot find a job. What the f*** is going on?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 02:50 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
...It was so dire we had to move out of state (back in with our parents). After saving some money we just recently moved back to Chicago a few weeks ago, but we still haven't found jobs yet...
You should have stayed with your parents longer. It is much worse now than in 2008. I wish you both luck.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:53 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
I was just wondering if we could get an update on the job market here in Chicago. My husband and I graduated in the summer of 2008 (obviously, the brink of the recession). It was so dire we had to move out of state (back in with our parents). After saving some money we just recently moved back to Chicago a few weeks ago, but we still haven't found jobs yet.

My husband has gotten straight A's his entire life. He studied in Switzerland for a year, he's travelled to 4 different continents, he has a B.A. and M.A in International Relations from the University of Chicago...I don't understand why someone w/ his qualifications cannot find a job. What the f*** is going on?!
This could just be my experience, but I think the availability of jobs depends on the industry you're in and what you're willing to do. I have always worked in the financial industry; started as an auditor for a regulator and then became a compliance officer. I was laid off in January of 2010.

I hated my last job with a passion. I was bored, disinterested and didn't like my coworkers. When I was laid off I spent the first 2 1/2 months looking for other opportunities... I was offered a position as a jeweler's apprentice pretty quickly, but the pay was less than my unemployment and it was an hour from my house so I turned it down.

After having my resume on monster and career builder for about a month I started getting a lot of calls from recruiters based on my experience. Once that happened I decided I should at least interview for another compliance position, so I went on 3 interviews. I ended up with 3 offers, all of which paid more than the job I was laid off from.

So, I guess my point is that if you're willing to be a compliance officer and you're relatively smart, there is plenty of opportunity. The job I have now is 1000 times better than the one I left. In total I was off of work for exactly 4 months (to the day), but the last month of that was me just goofing off, I had accepted this position and just delayed the start date.

I noticed tons of sales jobs and jobs in the medical field when I was looking. I can only assume that if you're willing to do sales you'd have no problem finding a job. My husband is a programmer and they seem to always be looking for more programmers at his company also, though they are extremely picky about who they hire.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:14 PM

320 posts, read 955,000 times
Quote:

What kind of work is he looking for?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 PM

^Thanks so much for the advice everyone, I truly appreciate it.

He's an International Relations major and I feel that now, more than ever, employers are only looking for those w/ relevant degrees. I suppose Chicago isn't the best city for international government positions...he could go into consultancy I suppose (he hasn't had any bites yet though).

Old 06-30-2010, 08:07 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Does your husband have any professional experience? It's a very difficult time to break into the job market with a liberal arts degree and no experience. It doesn't matter what school you went to. No one is in the mood to "take a chance" in the current economic climate.

It's the old Catch 22 of "You need more experience" and "Can't get a job to get the required experience". Recent grads are really having trouble all over the country right now, unless they are in medical and certain IT fields.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:

WTF is going on? Hmmm, look to the White House for that answer. Until US government changes some things like the tax structure, the rediculos spending, and steadies the economy, basically nobody is going to be hiring in the US. Everyone (businesses and residents) is waiting to see what's gonna happen in 2011 when tax rates go back to "Pre-Bush" levels. Many experts are predicting an all out depression at that point. On that note, enjoy your Wednesday.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:24 AM

320 posts, read 955,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
WTF is going on? Hmmm, look to the White House for that answer. Until US government changes some things like the tax structure, the rediculos spending, and steadies the economy, basically nobody is going to be hiring in the US. Everyone (businesses and residents) is waiting to see what's gonna happen in 2011 when tax rates go back to "Pre-Bush" levels. Many experts are predicting an all out depression at that point. On that note, enjoy your Wednesday.
Of course, there are some that believe those tax cuts promoted hoarding of wealth, instead of encouraging the start-up of businesses...after all, why risk starting a business if you pay low, low tax rates on dividends and capital gains in the financial instruments markets?

And lets not get into an inheritance tax that encourages scions to sit on piles of money instead of reinvesting it into economically viable businesses.

I'm all for the expiration of the Bush tax cuts. After all, the problem isn't the amount of money...we've printed more than enough of it, its the lack of velocity. Deflation is a bigger threat than inflation.

The huge problem is that taxes will have to rise to pay for Baby Boomer entitlement programs like social security and Medicare.

Until we address that huge liability (cut benefits, raise retirement age for Boomers, and not just for Gen Xers), its just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:07 AM

I guess there aren't any positives then. It's even challenging and competitive to find internships (people actually turn down free workers).

Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Job market, any positives?

I'm fairly positive that there are not that many good ones out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago