U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-17-2010, 02:33 AM
 
14 posts, read 22,939 times
Reputation: 13
Default Questions about the far south side of Chicago and apartment costs

Hey, everyone.

I'm a junior at UIC looking for a one-bedroom/studio apartment. I keep trying to get involved with other persons, but they flake out.

About a 1.5 years ago, I was under the impression that the total rent (util. included) on the far south side of Chicago was no more than $550 for a studio apartment per month.

Does that sound about right to you?
I've been looking at the prices, and they seem steep.
I don't quite understand what is with the prices.

A quick craigslist look shows me that prices are $600, $670+ without utilities.
Would those be rip-offs?

I keep looking at online ads and the such, and I'm seeing apartments that are much higher than that. If I remember correctly, the far south side of Chicago has a bad reputation and is known for its often ill-tempered neighborhoods. I'm the kind of person who minds his own business and needs a place to sleep, but as a white male in his early 20s, I don't want to deal with a bunch of people who are going to harass me for no good reason. I'm going to at least hope that the far south side of Chicago isn't like varying European areas where social classes bicker and harass (beat others, throw stuff, spit at each other) each other to fine degrees.

I'm 1/4 Irish, so I should fit into the south side just fine, right?

Last edited by crackerjack123; 04-17-2010 at 02:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2010, 03:20 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,029 posts, read 3,973,063 times
Reputation: 1234
You want to be that far away?

And you're about 50 years too late to fit in that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Location Location
3,220 posts, read 5,645,402 times
Reputation: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack123 View Post
I'm 1/4 Irish, so I should fit into the south side just fine, right?
yeah maybe Mt. Greenwood, yet Im not sure if you can find a studio for that low
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 09:03 AM
 
2,152 posts, read 6,656,963 times
Reputation: 634
To play it safe and also for convenience, I think I would look at a residence hall on campus or possibly a north side studio.

Have you searched UIC's off-campus housing database?
http://www.housing.uic.edu/offcampus/

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 04-17-2010 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Near Chicago
3,109 posts, read 4,654,600 times
Reputation: 1455
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack123 View Post
Hey, everyone.

I'm a junior at UIC looking for a one-bedroom/studio apartment. I keep trying to get involved with other persons, but they flake out.

About a 1.5 years ago, I was under the impression that the total rent (util. included) on the far south side of Chicago was no more than $550 for a studio apartment per month.

Does that sound about right to you?
I've been looking at the prices, and they seem steep.
I don't quite understand what is with the prices.

A quick craigslist look shows me that prices are $600, $670+ without utilities.
Would those be rip-offs?

I keep looking at online ads and the such, and I'm seeing apartments that are much higher than that. If I remember correctly, the far south side of Chicago has a bad reputation and is known for its often ill-tempered neighborhoods. I'm the kind of person who minds his own business and needs a place to sleep, but as a white male in his early 20s, I don't want to deal with a bunch of people who are going to harass me for no good reason. I'm going to at least hope that the far south side of Chicago isn't like varying European areas where social classes bicker and harass (beat others, throw stuff, spit at each other) each other to fine degrees.

I'm 1/4 Irish, so I should fit into the south side just fine, right?
Being 1/4 Irish want necessarily fit you in, unless you're looking at the far Southwest side like Mt. Greenwood or Beverly. You can check out the apartments on W. 111th St. in Morgan Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 11:38 AM
 
14 posts, read 22,939 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You want to be that far away?

And you're about 50 years too late to fit in that way.
I'm looking for that which is affordable, has a bed, and doesn't involve flakes.

As such, about the prices, does it seem like going past a total of $550 is too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2010, 02:03 PM
 
15 posts, read 3,444 times
Reputation: 16
I dont think you would like the south side....the S.side use to be known as the calm and cool side of Chi...mostly Black decent neighborhoods...NOT ANYMORE !!! its wild out south, 79th street for instance...a hot mess. There is always someone getting shot, robbed, raped, or something. My father lives on 79th and wolcot and every time I drive down there are countless people walking in the middle of the street during Green lights to the point where u are fearful you will hit someone. once again a HOT MESS...I dont know all there is to know because I dont live there but I dont think this would be the place for you being you are white male whom I assume is not a gangbanger (right??) I kid, i kid.....If you are going to UIC ( i work there) why not find something downtown or out west where u will be going to school? I think that will work alot better, after all the far south side is not called the " Wild 100's" for no reason. Believe me on this Bro....

* oh and by the way I am a 26 yr old blk woman so you know I am not a racist person on here just trying to talk against the black/brown but truth is truth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2010, 05:58 PM
 
Location: New York City via Austin via Chicago
904 posts, read 1,714,413 times
Reputation: 328
Simple Answer=No. A Student of any race shouldn't have to worry about going home safely late after a late-night study session. Stay close to campus like everyone else said. Public Transit isn't the best on the far South Side either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2010, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Chicago - near NW
2,760 posts, read 1,653,963 times
Reputation: 1613
You probably won't like the far South Side very much, but more importantly, there's no reason to live in an apartment that far from campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top