Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:37 PM

15 posts, read 30,702 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21 year old student who was just accepted into Columbia in the South Loop. I visited Chicago in January and know it's for me. I won't be living on campus so I'm looking into apartment options (August 2010). I will be moving with my boyfriend and we would like to find a 1 bedroom apartment for under $900. It seems to me that the South Loop is a bit more expensive then other areas of town. What is a good area for a liberal-minded young couple in Chicago? I'm not familiar with the city and would love some opinions from anyone that is willing to help!
I also have another question that is a bit off topic. Where are the punk and hardcore venues or bars in the city? My boyfriend and I are into punk and hardcore music and will definatly be looking to find a new hang-out spot! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 PM

143 posts, read 440,409 times
No. South Loop is not more expensive than other areas of town. On the contrary, it is cheaper than many other areas. For instance, it is cheaper than gold coast, streeterville, river north, lakeshore east, old town, lincoln park, lakeview, perhaps even west loop etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexblake13 View Post
I'm a 21 year old student who was just accepted into Columbia in the South Loop. I visited Chicago in January and know it's for me. I won't be living on campus so I'm looking into apartment options (August 2010). I will be moving with my boyfriend and we would like to find a 1 bedroom apartment for under $900. It seems to me that the South Loop is a bit more expensive then other areas of town. What is a good area for a liberal-minded young couple in Chicago? I'm not familiar with the city and would love some opinions from anyone that is willing to help!
I also have another question that is a bit off topic. Where are the punk and hardcore venues or bars in the city? My boyfriend and I are into punk and hardcore music and will definatly be looking to find a new hang-out spot! Thanks in advance!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:22 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,465 times
South Loop rents have dropped recently compared to 2007. The reason it is more expensive than other areas of the city are because buildings tend to be high rise complexes, which automatically inflates the price. You can find a one bedroom in Wicker Park on the near NW side for that price and there is a huge "alternative scene" (meaning punk, hardcore, etc.). It is arguably one of the most alternative neighborhoods in Chicago. Ukrainian Village is just south of Wicker Park on the West Side, the problem there is the El is far. You can take blue line from Wicker Park into the Loop then switch to the red line if you don't want to walk.

Also check out Lincoln Square on the far north side; good bar scene, lots of music venues.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:05 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
The best places to look in are West Town, Pilsen, Ukrainian Village, Logan Square, and Humboldt Park - basically along the Blue line. I know for certain that these places have a decent DIY scene going on, and are close to good venues for established bands. Wicker Park and Bucktown are close to a lot of what you're looking for, but they're a bit overpriced and have gotten trendy.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillejane View Post
No. South Loop is not more expensive than other areas of town. On the contrary, it is cheaper than many other areas. For instance, it is cheaper than gold coast, streeterville, river north, lakeshore east, old town, lincoln park, lakeview, perhaps even west loop etc etc.
Yes and No, I would still say that South Loop is still one of the more expensive hoods in Chicago as a whole. Near North Side and LP are probably the two most expensive areas of the city.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:33 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
The best places to look in are West Town, Pilsen, Ukrainian Village, Logan Square, and Humboldt Park - basically along the Blue line. I know for certain that these places have a decent DIY scene going on, and are close to good venues for established bands. Wicker Park and Bucktown are close to a lot of what you're looking for, but they're a bit overpriced and have gotten trendy.

I would not recommend Humboldt Park or Pilsen for newcomers to Chicago. They are still heavy gang neighborhoods.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:04 AM

131 posts, read 145,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I would not recommend Humboldt Park or Pilsen for newcomers to Chicago. They are still heavy gang neighborhoods.
Haha true,but....NUTHIN BEATS the energy and swag of Humboldt Park!
PR fest in June....can't wait!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:12 AM

This thread is pretty funny because we just rented one of are apartments to a Virgianian family from the DC area and ......They LUV it! And so do I! Anywhere in the North Side. Logan Square,Wicker Park,Bucktown,Lincoln Park,Hermosa,Avondale,LakeView,Uptown,Rogers Park, anywhere in the North side is good! Even Humboldt Park,Thats Chicago Puerto Rican hood just so you know.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:33 AM

Wicker Park has alot of bars,night clubs,restuarants,even saw a filming crew the other day.They're probably filming a movie.It's busy even past midnight,all hours of the day.WestTown also has has alot of nightlife,busy all day.Specialy on Division past the rican area its trendy with alot of nightlife.

http://www.viva-vegas.com/vegas/mar2003/DSC00184.JPG (broken link)

Old 04-20-2010, 11:40 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,375,231 times
FYI, that 3rd picture, the one on the bottom, was taken over in Gold Coast, not in Wicker Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago