U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,099 times

Advertisements

Hey

I'm coming to Chicago from Europe this summer and I don't know anything about this city In need of your help

I'll be working in downtown and I've found an apartment in Prairie Shore district. What are your thoughts. experiences with this area? Is it safe? Are there any things to do?

I'll be living at S Prairie Ave.

Thank you for your answers!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 02:42 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,353,560 times
Things to do? Not really.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,099 times
I thought so But the most important thing - safety. Is it safe? O I just should run to get a bus or metro

Old 04-24-2010, 03:03 PM

36,660 posts, read 58,180,222 times
If you're looking for a lively neighborhood with bars, shops, cafes and the like, this definitely isn't it.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:26 PM

1,728 posts, read 2,781,797 times
I think it's pretty safe. You can probably catch the Michigan Avenue or Red Line bus into downtown. You won't be far from the museums either. Just use your judgment, anything can happen in a large city in terms of safety.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:29 PM

21,823 posts, read 37,467,682 times
Default I think relative defintiont of "safety" needs to be clarified...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I think it's pretty safe. You can probably catch the Michigan Avenue or Red Line bus into downtown. You won't be far from the museums either. Just use your judgment, anything can happen in a large city in terms of safety.

The location of the Praire Shores Apartments are at 28th and King Drive, while this is NOT the most dangerous part of Chicago in terms of shear number of violent crimes it is also DEFINITELY NOT ON THE normal path recommended to ANY visitors to Chicago. It a 'neighborhood' that is rather barren and populated very much by those of African American background to the extent that most folks from traditional European backgrounds would very much look out of place / lost and very well could become targets of theft / violence.

It would be much safer to stick to a neighborhood with: a) higher percentage of out of town visitors b) greater odds of looking like a local

Old 04-26-2010, 03:34 PM

1,728 posts, read 2,781,797 times
I was down around there a few months back driving, it didn't look too bad. Though, of course I'm a local and not coming from another country. Follow Chet on this one.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:51 PM

50 posts, read 100,364 times
I live north of the area; PS looks more like a dorm for IIT than anything. I would be more concerned about the quality of the apartments:-(

Old 04-27-2010, 02:50 PM

44 posts, read 41,019 times
It's not bad over there. Lots of hospitals & medical centers in that area; and it's mostly hospital workers and IIT people who live in Prarie Shores. That general area seems pretty safe and diverse. The apartments themselves are decent, but very small and not fancy. I've only seen studio apartments in there though, so...

Old 04-27-2010, 02:58 PM

21,823 posts, read 37,467,682 times
That is NOT the "Illinois Medical District". It is not anywhere the offical district: Illinois Medical District Facts & Figures

The closest hospital to that area is Micheal Reese, which is poor financial condition and was part of the Mayor's planned "Olympic Village" that is now dead. Olympic Village site in limbo :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Olympics (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olympics/1181598,CST-NWS-Oly24.article - broken link)

I know many folks that work at IIT and the other nearby colleges / research facilities and Praire Shores is NOT looked at favorably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago