Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
You can now get brick 3-flats (I don't like siding) for less than $200K in EGP. You can get brick 3-flats around United Center (Washington and Damen area) for less than $300K now...
That is about what they should be. Thanks for confirming the prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:27 PM

This should be renamed "Is E. Garfield Park up and coming?"

Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 PM

3 posts, read 31,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
This should be renamed "Is E. Garfield Park up and coming?"
You right avenge....the forum/threads should be renamed to that. And the answer is...... It is

Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple81 View Post
You right avenge....the forum/threads should be renamed to that. And the answer is...... It is
Heh. What are YOU sellin?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,962 times
Default Good or bad area?

hi,
Iam looking into renting around the area in the near west side, On warren blvd east of western and between there and the united center. How is this area. If anyone could help me i would appreciate it greatly.
thanks

Old 10-01-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjp773 View Post
hi,
Iam looking into renting around the area in the near west side, On warren blvd east of western and between there and the united center. How is this area. If anyone could help me i would appreciate it greatly.
thanks
How is the area between East Garfield Park and United Center?

" Near West Side/United Center-too dangerous?"

Is East Garfield Park between Sacramento and Kedzie a bad area?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I asked this question on the other thread:

You bought in 2005 for how much?

How much would you get now if you sold?

I suspect buying in 2005 you will need to stick around until 2010 to break even.
People who buy a home and move within 5 years are idiots, period.

The idea that simply showing up in an "up and coming" (or any) neighborhood is an action worthy of large economic reimbursement is delusional to the extreme - what, as if someone is so special that society should basically pay them to them for the privilege of their company?

I would hope that the latest housing correction would have reinforced that...these people are a plague on neighborhoods and community, not people sitting outside on their stoop.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,647 times
i would never live in east garfield park, even though your making an investment. one of the worse neighborhoods in the city and highest crime rate. wouldnt pay for me to live there.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 PM

27 posts, read 110,742 times
These up and coming neighborhoods of Chicago will never make good. Because Chicago has a history of simply shifting the underclasses around.

I live in Logan Square which was horrible in the mid 90s. Then it got really nice. By 2003 it was great. Then they started cleaning up Humboldt Park and Bucktown. Where did all those poor people go? Logan Square. Now my neighborhood is awful again. We now have drive bys, Walgreen's being robbed at 3pm, drug dealers wide open in the alley and in Palmer Square, and the prostitutes are back.

So what if you're neighborhood gets nice for a few years, with Chicago, it'll just go back downhill in most cases. Same with Rogers Park, it has gone through many periods of nice, then bad, then nice

East Garfield Park is too far in the midst of the "hood" to become even permentently nice. You only find real lasting change as nice neighborhood expand into poorer areas. When poor areas change, they will, in 5 or 10 years change back.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:26 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Logan Square is still improving, especially as you go east. I only wish my part of Humboldt Park was as far along gentrifying as the eastern parts of Logan Square.

To the previous poster, I am not sure if the gangs, drugs, or prostitutes ever really left, but I do feel like there are less of them and more yuppies now than 10 years ago.

Humboldt Park has improved greatly in the past 5 years but has a long ways to go. I don't see any Logan Bar and Grill or El Cid coming to Humboldt Park in the near term but seeing such places come in would be progress.

I do agree that EGP is not improving anytime soon. My last two previous forecasts were too optimistic. You can now buy brick 3-flats in United Center area for 200k and brick 3-flats in EGP for under 100k. Anyone who bought in the last 10 years has basically lost money.

I am sure there are those who live in and especially those who own in EGP who will defend the neighborhood, but even they must admit that gentrification has stalled west of western, south of kinzie (train tracks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago