Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:14 PM

9 posts, read 25,637 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (with a new born baby) will be moving to Chicago soon to spend one year. I'll be working at Univ. of Chicago.
Based on my little research, I'm looking to rent an apartment in Lincoln park/Lake View/Gold Coast area. Prices are high but what is crazy is the price of parking!!! most places want $200 or so for the parking on top of a rent of $2200 or so.
It seems taking the public transit to UofC isn't really easy from there (nor is taking the bike, especially in winter).
Is really driving the only option?
I think I have to bring my car anyway because of having a baby. But then again I have to pay those ridiculous parking fees anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Pick a neighborhood where parking doesn't suck.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:21 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreza View Post
My wife and I (with a new born baby) will be moving to Chicago soon to spend one year. I'll be working at Univ. of Chicago.
Based on my little research, I'm looking to rent an apartment in Lincoln park/Lake View/Gold Coast area. Prices are high but what is crazy is the price of parking!!! most places want $200 or so for the parking on top of a rent of $2200 or so.
It seems taking the public transit to UofC isn't really easy from there (nor is taking the bike, especially in winter).
Is really driving the only option?
I think I have to bring my car anyway because of having a baby. But then again I have to pay those ridiculous parking fees anyway.
Just drive. You'll be saying it's well worth the cost come November - March when it's 35 degrees with lake wind driven mist or rain and you drive by in your warm car seeing all the people on the platforms freezing their doopas off. To get to U of C from LP just take Lake Shore Drive all the way down... Should only take a maximum of 30 minutes... Not too bad and you get to stay warm and dry.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Try living in North Center near Irving Park Road. Parking isn't bad there, and Irving Park Road flows into Lake Shore Drive more easily than Belmont or Fullerton further south. And it's a great neighborhood for kids, and offers plenty for adults to do too. It's actually safer than Lincoln Park and Lake View. And once you're on Lake Shore Drive, the difference from Irving Park Road to any of the other North Side exits isn't really that significant. LSD does jam up during rush periods, but it's not even close to as bad as the expressways.

I'm assuming you've already ruled out Hyde Park?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 AM

Yes, I've ruled out Hyde park already.
It seems i have to suck up the price of parking then. I was ready for the rent but not parking. Oh well...

Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Pick a neighborhood where parking doesn't suck.
That. You are looking at the three of the most expensive neighborhoods for parking in the city.

You can either look into western sections of Lincoln Park/Lakeview, or take LookoutKid's advice, or pay the market price for parking.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:59 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I think anyone that is considering study or employment at UofC that does not appreciate Hyde Park is missing out on a huge part of the benefits.

Culturally Hyde Park offers more than any other neighborhood in Chicago bar none. It has among the most effective example of a functioning interaction with the broader City government and police force. It offers convenience and support to workers / students and their spouses. The programs offered through UofC Lab School are nothing short of stellar. Access to the Lakefront is outstanding, as are the lovely features of Jackson Park and Musuem of Science and Industry.

If the cost of parking in other parts of Chicago is off putting that ought to be impetus to re-examine your reluctance to consider Hyde Park.

Good Luck!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 AM

I have heard many UofC staff live around Hyde park area but also that stuff happens around there.
The thing is, we are moving from Canada (for 1 year only), and I'm not used to living in a place in which I (or my wife) is not comfortable walking around any time of day. Have to add that we have lived in big cities (in Canada).
I'm willing to pay a bit more to live in a safer neighborhood; just wanted to see if the parking rates I get are the norm and driving to UofC is the real option I have.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:01 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Totally your call, but I really think that any balanced assessment of the relative safety of Hyde Park that is recent will show that is pretty much a wash with Lincoln Park, Lakeview , or eny other near lakefront area. If you move out to further in Chicago to Sauganash or Edison Park crimes falls off to near suburban levels, but you would not want to commute from their to UofC...

Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreza View Post
I have heard many UofC staff live around Hyde park area but also that stuff happens around there.
Like stuff doen't happen around the various large city campuses in Canada? Yeah, right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: