Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:34 AM

5 posts, read 15,883 times

Advertisements

I will take my chances with family and friends trying to help me find a new job in Chicago. I have been here in FL since 2008, 3 interviews and 2 with the same company. I have been putting out resumes, called every agency from A-Z, contacts, facebook, etc. Nothing. Going back, I have more contacts and family and friends, that will help me find something. Again, FL, is great to vacation, visit and retire, not to live in if you are young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 07:10 AM

242 posts, read 1,002,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboardfl View Post
I will take my chances with family and friends trying to help me find a new job in Chicago. I have been here in FL since 2008, 3 interviews and 2 with the same company. I have been putting out resumes, called every agency from A-Z, contacts, facebook, etc. Nothing. Going back, I have more contacts and family and friends, that will help me find something. Again, FL, is great to vacation, visit and retire, not to live in if you are young.

Personally never been fond of Florida. Guess it also depends on what part of Florida you reside at, i always thought Miami would be a great place for a young person to live.

Last edited by PacificWest; 06-16-2010 at 07:22 AM..

Old 06-17-2010, 05:27 AM

I live in Tampa, have been to Miami, have friends who live there, and was there about 3 weeks ago. Would never consider living in Miami.
Again, back to the windy city I come, hope to come home for a visit in August.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:59 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Illinois aint that far behind. And Chicago itself is pretty high up there.
its nothing like chicago, I was also in FL for 6 months and left so I know how it is. Florida even when employment is good doesn't have the good jobs like chicago, the entire state for the most part is based on tourism and low wage jobs. that is the difference...FL is one of the worst worker benefits states if not the worst in the u.s. I am getting clients in Chicago right now and I am not even back there yet, try that in most cities..it just doesn't happen, only in a handful... clients/business in Chicago are willing to fork up $.

anyway, it is way more than just "employment percentage"

for a skilled worker you are WAY better off in Chicago than FL, if you are low skill, low education, FL might be better due to cheaper COL.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlaraujo View Post
I moved from Chicago to Austin, TX!!! I am so bored, people in Austin love Austin but I think they just don't know any better.
that is pretty true lol...

Old 06-17-2010, 04:25 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT28107 View Post
But most of all, I used to think there was a lot to be said for a fresh start... now I'm thinking there's a lot to be said for not assuming the grass is greener on the other side and making the most out of your surroundings. You live, you learn, right?
You picked a good state to relocate to, but I've been homesick too, so I completely understand.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:08 AM

44 posts, read 109,298 times
You never know what you have till you lose it.Cherish every moment in this amazing city while your here becuase when you leave it's like losing a loved one(lol, well maybe not that bad) but it's close.

<3 Chicago!

Old 06-22-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisherSweet1 View Post
You never know what you have till you lose it.Cherish every moment in this amazing city while your here becuase when you leave it's like losing a loved one(lol, well maybe not that bad) but it's close.

<3 Chicago!
I totally agree SwisherSweet1, I am a skilled worker, and yes, I figured I have taken a $9,000 hit if not more, in salary. Trying my best to move back before the end of the year if not sooner. Started packing this weekend and will not finish until I am ready to go. Anyone know of a good headhunter in Chicago for the legal field. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 14,713 times
Default Missing Chicago too

I totally and absolutely agree! I've always had lofty goals and aspirations whether it came to education or just getting the heck out of IL/Chicago. So last August 2009 I was beyond excited to move out of Chicago, and to San Diego where I had been accepted for graduate school. People always talk about how amazing CA is, and I really think some midwesteners (myself included) put other places like Denver and cities in CA up on a pedestal. I've lived in San Diego almost a year and I really hate it. I miss the energy and electricity of an actual city (sorry friends but San Diego is far from a real city). I miss the food, the people, the places, and yes even the pee-scented CTA because at least it was a solid public transit system. The San Diego trolley/bus system is laughable. Yes, the ocean is gorgeous, and the weather is usually perfect if the weather is all you have going for you that doesn't say much about what you have to offer. I have about 2 more years left in my doctorate program but as soon as I'm done I'll be coming home to Sweet Home Chicago!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 PM

100 posts, read 220,353 times
Default So Chicago is better than Colorado - Good to Know

So you found Columbine and Nazi camps not as exciting as Chicago. Understood. Try going somewhere to one of the coasts (preferably northeast) and see what life is really like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT28107 View Post
Before I moved, I was absolutely sick of Chicago. I couldn't wait to get out. I had never moved cross-country and thought it would be the best thing since sliced bread.

Well, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

The state of CO is absolutely beautiful, especially the Rockies, but I can already tell it's not somewhere I want to be permanently.

- I used to think the food in Chicago was overrated... but I find myself missing the most basic things (try to find a decent pizza out here, LOL).

- I used to think the climate in Chicago was freakin' terrible, but really, it's not that bad. At least weather forecasts are predictable. Out here, a 10 day forecast is absolutely worthless. I will admit though, the sunnier days are nice... and I don't miss the 0 degree winters.

- I used to think the salted roads in winter were awful... until I came out here and saw sand/gravel in place of the salt and what the rocks can do to your car. I have never seen so many cracked windshields.

- I used to think certain mandatory expenses were outrageously overpriced... until I saw what CO insurance & license plates cost. Insurance went up over 30% and license plates cost anywhere from 200-500% more.

- I used to think the mountains made the flat lands look like a joke. Well, it's true, they are beautiful and breathtaking, but what you don't get is a lot of local lakes. Fishing in IL is something I could do after a 5 minute bicycle ride. I still don't know where the nearest lake is located.

- I used to think there would be a plethora of stuff to do outside... until I realized that it's a 30-45 minute drive into the mountains to do most of that stuff. City and suburbs are still city and suburbs no matter where you go.

- I used to think certain suburbs of Chicago were too conservative... until I saw some of the bumper stickers out here. To be fair, CO is pretty diverse. Lots of flaming liberals too. It's just kinda weird to live in a purple state after coming from the solid blue, yet fairly moderate Chicagoland area. People on both sides seem to be more outspoken out here. I'm more of a believer in keeping that stuff to yourself. Must be the Midwesterner in me.

- I used to think I wouldn't miss the sports teams that much, but the fact that I haven't been to a Cubs game this year yet is driving me nuts. Probably won't see a Bears game either. Ugh.

But most of all, I used to think there was a lot to be said for a fresh start... now I'm thinking there's a lot to be said for not assuming the grass is greener on the other side and making the most out of your surroundings. You live, you learn, right?

So, my Chicago friends, serve me up a nice piece of humble pie. I never thought I'd say it, but I can definitely see myself moving home sometime in the next year or two. I guess it all depends on the job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago