Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:33 PM

188 posts, read 605,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Alamo in Andersonville has a nice selection of comfortable, good looking shoes, however I haven't been in a couple of years so not positive as of late.
Don't go there. They're probably too "granola" for your taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 09:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Allen Edmonds are top quality and American made. They look so good I can tell a pair from 100 feet away...
Thanks for the tip! I buy American anytime I can. One company I want to make mention of that makes great belts is Sole Survivor.

Mens Belts by Sole Survivor Leather (http://www.leatherbelts.com/mens_belts/mens_belts_bemen.html - broken link)

Sole Survivor Leather - Downtown Belleville, Illinois

Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,386 times
Someone mentioned Nordstrom earlier, I second that. Nordstrom has the best selection of good looking men's shoes that I've seen anywhere. Not too many clunkers with boat like soles, no square toes, no clodhoppers. And they carry To Boot New York, which you mentioned earlier.

I would love to support allen-edmonds, but the look is just a little too conservative for my tastes.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,025 times
Default Dress Shoes

I participated in a work related panel discussion with colleagues recently. One panel member had on a pair of black shoes that appeared not to have a back or either a low back. It was a very professional look and a very comfortable looking pair of shoes.

Does anyone have any insight on such a business-like pair of shoes? Also, what store (or website) sells such shoes?

Thanks for your assistance, in advance.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:18 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Men's dress shoes

A.- Real men don't wear dresses
B.- Kilts are not dresses

Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Also try DSW shoe warehouse. They have lots of shoes of all sorts. the last time I was there saw some Italian type with leather soles. Also try Bally shoes.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:14 AM

7 posts, read 7,728 times
great pice of information about men formal dressing sense and will be really useful..

Old 07-02-2014, 07:25 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
I have shoes similar to the ones you describe, and I walk a lot in my shoes. My oldest pair of shoes is nearly 15 years old now, and has been re-soled twice - I don't know the brand, because the name has worn off and I've moved several times and lost their box a while back, but they're well-made Italian shoes. I got that pair at the first place in my list, City Soles. Today I'm wearing a pair of Prada shoes that I've been very pleased with, which I purchased at Nordstrom a few years ago and they've held up well and can be resoled when the time comes. Both of those pairs cost well over $300. One of my favorite pair of shoes is a To Boot pair, which also cost over $300. So I'm guessing you and I have similar taste in shoes.

City Soles in Wicker Park probably has shoes you'd like - I have purchased several excellent pairs of shoes there, all of which I still own despite some being over 10 years old now and having been resoled one or more times.

Mezlan on Michigan Ave also has some fantastic shoes although I haven't bitten the bullet to pay their prices yet.

Nordstrom does have a good selection of shoes, as does usually Nordstrom Rack for discount rack ones although the selection at the Rack isn't quite as good.

Barney's New York has good shoes.

Hanig's has a good selection, not quite as many European ones, though.

I haven't shopped there personally, but you may also want to check out V-Italia.

It's been a while since I was there, but I remember Sak's having a good selection of men's shoes, too. I don't remember if they've re-opened their men's department yet, though.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:08 AM

11 posts, read 25,459 times
Depends what you're willing to pay. Honestly, you're better off spending more on the front end to get a quality, American-made shoe that will last you a long time then you are going with DSW or Cole Haans and the like. If you are willing to spend a little more, check out Allen Edmonds or Alden. A quick Google search will show you which stores around town sell these. I'd recommend Haberdash, on State and Ohio in the Loop.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 PM

596 posts, read 820,400 times
What about casual, comfortable shoes. What are some good places to get those kind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: