Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Giordano's vs Lou Malnati's vs Uno's vs Gino's East
Giordano's 9 30.00%
Lou Malnati's 14 46.67%
Pizzeria Uno's 2 6.67%
Gino's East 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2010, 02:18 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,622,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
props for the phrase "jaspers."

I have no idea what it means...
That's alright. Tom has no idea what "props" means.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,824,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
hahahahaha. well played.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:25 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,643,590 times
Quote:
Tom has no idea what "props" means.
Truely.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:48 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,442,333 times
Quote:
props for the phrase "jaspers."

I have no idea what it means, which means when I decide to throw that at someone this weekend (preferably after numerous beverages), it'll be even funnier.
Quote:
Quote:
hahahahaha. well played.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Truely.
Reps for all! Good stuff

Old 05-22-2010, 10:24 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,943,139 times
Hi, Orangish! Hope y'all (and, yes, I said y'all) are enjoying your pizza .... I prefer Lou's myself. One of the "must-do's" when I get home....as you know, there is no decent pizza in Charlotte....

Old 05-22-2010, 11:22 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Reps for all! Good stuff
Let's not forget about reps for the guy repping everyone. You!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:11 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,753,138 times
From what I know about Chicago deep dish history, I would spin it like this:

Uno's started it all after WWII when Ike Sewell took the concept of pizza that GI's got a taste of during the war and turned it into a meal.

So which pizza joints have the strongest bloodlines: Uno's, of course. And Due's is merely Uno's needing more space a block north. Gino's East came along in the same era. And Lou Malnati's is an off shoot, Lou being an intregal part of the Uno's organization.

Who does it best? At one time I thought it was a toss up between Uno/Due and Gino's East. But then Gino's East corporatized and didn't offer the same type of high quality pizza they served as a two store operation on Rush and in Streterville.

Uno's and Due's, I feel, basically haven't skipped a beat and do the original recipe proud. They are enduring institutions.

Problem is, Uno's downtown carries the same name as the franchise places and they're disasters as far as I'm concerned. Uno's national chain has nothing in common with Uno's and Due's downtown other than ownership and only carry the name because the company wants to make a link with consumers with the original two joints.

So Uno's falls flat on its face in the franchise business, but does a super job with the original two restaurants.

Where does that put Lou Malnati's? To me, in basically the same place as Portillo's. Portillo's is the top of the line of fast food chains...no franchises and all restaurants serving the best quality fast food in a terrific, well run organization.

Malnati's does that kind of incredible job in deep dish pizza. Also a chain without franchises, only Malnati has been able to take the original deep dish pizza and mass produce it away from its River North birth to cover all Chicagoland. Kudos for keeping quality and product in place on a giant scale.

Does that mean that chains like Giordano's or Eduardo's or smaller ones like Gullivers don't do a great job with deep dish pizza? No. It just means that I see Uno's (downtown), Due's, Gino's East, and Malnati's as the core of the original deep dish pizza places and the ones that carried the concept from the beginning either by birth or (Malnati's) by blood line. And my favorite deep dish places are the ones that carry that Chicago original taste to them. Gino's dropped out of the mix IMHO when it didn't handle getting too big....while for Malnati's, getting big proved only to be a bonus.

So let me give high praise for Uno's and Due's downtown as the apex of deep dish pizza. And let me give Malnati's the credit of being Ike's disciples who took the concept to the hinterlands throughout Chicagoland.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,643,590 times
Nice post there Edsg.

As long as we're waxing historical LaPiazza in Piper's Alley made an excellent Uno's style pie. I assume it's long gone.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:06 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,753,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Nice post there Edsg.

As long as we're waxing historical LaPiazza in Piper's Alley made an excellent Uno's style pie. I assume it's long gone.
thanks, tom.

I certainly remember Piper's Alley "back in the day" when Old Town was Chicago's somewhat equivalent to Haight Ashbury. But I don't remember LaPiazza.

I do remember a place that I'm fairly sure NOBODY here would even know it existed from the same era. I was in college (UIC...which was UICC or "The Circle" at the time...I'm showing my age; I literally opened the place. Talk about ancient history, but walking south of Roosevelt was like taking your life into your hands. But I digress.). I lived in Evanston and we used to go to a place called Capri on the far north side...on Western not far from Touhy. It was a small neighborhood place but had great deep dish, somewhat akin to the downtown places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago