Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

McKinley Park. You'll be a minority there but 1) nobody will bother you, 2) it's relatively safe, 3) it's inexpensive, especially considering how easy it is to get downtown from there. Hop on the Orange Line and you're in the Loop about 12 minutes later. It's like a cheaper, Hispanic version of Bridgeport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:53 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowngirl13 View Post
There are a lot of studio apartments in the Rogers Park area that are in the $500-$600 range. You just have to look around. Check out craigslist.com.
yeah, RP is my north side suggestion for sure.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 PM

46 posts, read 65,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think a better question is why would impoverished people want to move to Chicago at all? This is not a cheap City to live in...
This was the dumbest thing someone has wrote on here in a long time. Ok since you're not smart enough to figure this out (its pretty much common sense) being poor in a city isn't so bad.

1.) There is transportation everywhere, so you don't need a car.
2.) There are jobs all over the place, its a city, there are plenty of working class jobs and with transit being easy, you can make money.
3.) More options of escaping poverty, you can work and find jobs pretty much anywhere.

All the immigrants from europe come here with nothing and make it just fine. There are thousands up hundreds of thousands of Polish, Lithuanian, Romanian, Serbian, Bosnian, Croatian, Russian, Latvian, Bulgarian, Estonian, Macedonian, Slovenian, German, Hungarian, Ukrainian, Albanian and immigrants from all over the world. Also, every day new families are coming to chicago to start new lives from all over this country and world.
You are a very stupid stupid person.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:35 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
It was not a dumb comment. I don't think there are many "impoverished white people" moving to Chicago these days, with the exception of immigrants from eastern Europe. Why? "Impoverished white people" don't want to live in majority black or Hispanic neighborhoods any more than middle or upper class white people. And most of the majority white neighborhoods in Chicago are really quite expensive now.

This thread is really quite ridiculous, and it seems probable that the OP is full of it.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:58 PM

37 posts, read 138,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic the trader View Post
Me and pops are looking to move back to somewhere in the city. He's from Roseland, but Roseland is obviously a changed neighboorhood today.

Where's the best place for impoverished white folk, preferably close to trains and busses.....maybe around or less than $500 a month for 1br or studio?

You can find places advertised for $500 (more likely $550 - $600) in Bridgeport, Canaryville and McKinley Park. Your best bet for $500 and under is to know someone.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:06 PM

85 posts, read 108,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think a better question is why would impoverished people want to move to Chicago at all? This is not a cheap City to live in...
Why wouldn't they want to live in such a beautiful city? Poor people are people too.Some people are born into broke familys and you can't do anything about it untill you grow up and better yourself.You get a job and keep getting an education and you can make it.Anyone can, it's not hard.And Chicago is a CHEAP city! I'm tired of people saying it's expensive and taxes are high becuase they're not. The rent has dropped so much and the real estate prices are on the floor! lol, it's really THAT cheap!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 PM

85 posts, read 108,819 times
Or you can try CHA(Chicago Housing Authority).My cousin got a nice apartment in logan square for only $200 and no it's not a digusting apartment.It's a nice courtyard building.It's pretty small only 2 br and a dining room and kitchen,but then again it only is 200 per month and they got a nice location.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:49 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
I see many flop houses and SRO's in Uptown by way of Wilson
Lots of them in Uptown.......

Old 06-05-2010, 12:05 PM

90 posts, read 247,680 times
I was broke, in the summer of 2006, and stayed in Roger's Park. My rent was 495 (and that included the utilites) the beach is right there (easy way to not spend a dime) and used bookstore,cafe's and it might be easy to find a job around there. The Red Line was right at my door. I enjoyed it. In fact, my bank account is not as great as it once was-so who knows-I might land back in Roger's Park again

Old 06-07-2010, 11:46 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkRican312 View Post
Why wouldn't they want to live in such a beautiful city? Poor people are people too.Some people are born into broke familys and you can't do anything about it untill you grow up and better yourself.You get a job and keep getting an education and you can make it.Anyone can, it's not hard.And Chicago is a CHEAP city! I'm tired of people saying it's expensive and taxes are high becuase they're not. The rent has dropped so much and the real estate prices are on the floor! lol, it's really THAT cheap!
Chicago is most certainly not a cheap city by any statistical measure (and I don't mean "compared to NYC"), and our taxes are pretty crazy thanks to the C(r)ook County add ons.

I'm not picking on poor people, hell, I spent some years living paycheck to paycheck (in eastern Rogers Park no less, where I did indeed make use of that free beach as often as possible) - but at some point I'd leave if I had to continue in such a fashion.

I can see how public trans is helpful/the fact you can live without a car, but man, every time I go to Wisconsin I cannot believe how much cheaper everything is. Likewise, every time I go to some "tourist" place, I note that the prices aren't any worse than Chicago's are.

I just hope this doesn't become a totally financially elitist city, I completely agree poor people are people too, and furthermore, if we make it too expensive for poor people to live here we are going to lose our service workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago