U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,702,929 times
Default Kr Sheeley

I don't agree with you on alot of stuff but I do respect your intelligence, just don't follow your logic. Sorry if I come across as harsh, but WWII argument about bombers doesn't hold water.

I don't respect "hustling" as it denotes selling stolen goods or dealing drugs most often.

Humboldt Park is worse than east side of Indy, except maybe like 38th and Keystone area, especially in the black parts of Humboldt Park. Latino parts of Humboldt Park (there are virtually no whites west of the park) are better but no picnic. It is a war zone south of Chicago Avenue and urban ghetto that there is nothing comparable to in Indy, even its worst parts.

I am so critical of the east side Indy as I have personally seen it decline in my 32 years from a stable working class area to what it is now. 20 years ago it was like Greenwood is now, not nice but not bad. Now, I just think it is experiencing a long, slow decline.

I used to own Halliburton stock individually (I am sure I own Halliburton thru other mutual funds) and sold out 10 years ago when I started hearing about no bid contracts. I don't endorse this kind of behavior.

Unfortunately, poor in this country (your brother if he is enlisted) are cannon fodder for the rich, always have been. You don't see Congressmen or businessmen sending their kids off to war unless it is for PR reasons (Mayor Daley for example).

I do agree that we waste money on government spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 AM

Default My Dad was a soldier

Btw, my dad was an officer in Vietnam. He never encouraged any of my siblings or I to enlist, though I did almost attend West Point before finding out about the 7 year enlistment requirement. My brothers and I all attended Culver Military Academy as well.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 AM

355 posts, read 443,351 times
I'm glad we were able to find some common ground on things.

I must admit my logic can seem strange but think of it like this (also I'm pretty well versed in ww 2 history so thats the first thing that came to mind) We honestly don't know how well our new fancy EXPENSIVE weapons systems will work but I know in regards to cost and what bang we get for our buck we are being way way overcharged.

But on the other hand (which I can see) those same companies produce great profit margins for CEO's who are paid great amounts of money, and pay their workers an actual wage to live off of. But at what cost to the govt is the question. Companies like this falsley inflate our gdp and makes us look far more productive than we really are. Its really a hard situation

The comment about cannon fodder rings very true, His main reasons for enlisting was because he could no longer pay for college. In the field in IRAQ he didnt mention using any new crazy weapons to fight he recalled riding around in a humvee with a gun looking for mines to destroy. He was in the engineer division. I dont know how that can cost that much more than it used to. And dont get me started on paying private secuirty companies. Also I still hold to my statement about truely being unpreparred to fight a real war, China could easily outstrip our production of materials needed to fight. Also we dont know how well some of these new technologies work because they've never been used. And whats crazy is somethings were developed and state of the art, then fell out of date by the time we could use them.

About the neighborhoods thing, its definatley a point of interest for me as I like to know how my area compare to others in the midewest (not how ghetto an area is) we can leave the for a different topic.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Also I havent Hustled in the sense you are thinking of in at least a few years. I mean simply hustle to get money many many things along these terms, from doing manual hourly labor to buying and selling things on craigslist. Don't get me wrong I did the other with no problem either.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 AM

Default KrSheeley

Glad we were able to reach some common ground and glad you have moved past the "hustle" stuff you did in the past. I know many great people who did shady stuff in the past, makes them appreciate how far they have come.

I agree the US taxpayer is overcharged for military spending, lots of waste.

I actually agree that we would not beat China in a war, too many of them.

I also don't think they would beat us either if it came down to it. We would just destroy each other.

I still have alot of affinity for Indy as that was where I went to do stuff on the weekends growing up. I would move back if they offered the job opportunities we have here in Chicago and have actually thought about working with a guy who heads a middle market banking group in Indy that I used to work with in Indy as a lender before I moved to Chicago.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:25 AM

I love INDY alot and think our city is going to be great, my concern though is that my side of town is going to get left out simply because we have a different demographic even though many many many parts of the eastside are not ghetto alot of people seem to think it resembles hell, which is why I ask you alot about you experiences in worse areas of chicago, because I've seen ghetto and imho 10th and post is not it. 21st and post is not it. Washington and Mitthoffer are not it. Even as far north as 34th arent bad really, they get worse the more north you go. 38th and almost anything ain't great. My neighborhood at 10th and post was known locally as a goonie white trash type working class neighborhood, with some mixed population. I moved to a newer development around raymond and franklin , jus a lil furthur south than my old spot and its all new homes over half black and a nice neighbhborhood that I would not be able to get away with what I go away with at my old neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:27 AM

I agree they could not beat us and we could not beat them, that was my point in order to win we would have to destroy each other. Or have the type of resolve shown in world war 2 or the civil war and I honestly don't know if our country would be up for that now.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:39 AM

10,069 posts, read 16,882,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Lookout,

You are smart. I would think you would not be arguing like this, liberal beliefs or not.
Whether or not Defense spending is "more than half" of the budget as some have claimed (and it's clearly larger than the half trillion originally quoted by Drover, which doesn't even cover the current Defense Department budget), it's our largest category of expense--and is quite a bit larger than social spending if you take out Social Security.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:17 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,579,907 times
Don't forget the NNSA. Their budget is huge and they are part of DOE (not DOD).

Old 06-08-2010, 12:21 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,027,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Whether or not Defense spending is "more than half" of the budget as some have claimed (and it's clearly larger than the half trillion originally quoted by Drover, which doesn't even cover the current Defense Department budget), it's our largest category of expense--and is quite a bit larger than social spending if you take out Social Security.
It's obscene no matter how you look at it, considering we don't exactly have hordes of armed troops arriving on the coasts every day.

Eisenhower had it right when he warned that the old WWII partnership between the military and industry would eventually take on a life of its own if it wasn't stopped:

YouTube - Eisenhower warns us of the military industrial complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago