Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 05:57 PM

10 posts, read 19,391 times

Advertisements

family member looking for a condo there tomorrow. thumbs up or down. Any information I would appreciate. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 09:49 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
It's a nice block. I'm not sure exactly what building 708 is, but there's really nothing bad to say about the location. I guess the worst thing might be the morning traffic due to the pick-up/drop-off at the Lycee Francais and the Walt Disney Magnet School. And the express buses are pretty crowded at Bittersweet, since it's generally the last stop before Lake Shore Drive.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:51 PM

Okay, I was able to see the building on Google Maps, and I'm familair with it (I live pretty close). It's always struck me as a well-cared-for building, though I've never been inside. The landscaping is always nicely done, and they did some facade restoration a year or two ago.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:29 AM

10 posts, read 19,391 times
Default 708 west Bittersweet

Thank you very much for your information. It is so helpful to get information from someone who knows the area.
Is this location considered Lakeview or since it looks on the map just past West Irving, considered Uptown? Do you know anything at all how parking in this area?
When I have read the posts about Uptown, it says how the streets can change from block to block, there are good and bad areas of it and what can be right in between nice places might not be too good.
Is this area away from some of those less desirable areas?
Are they any areas around there that they would need to be aware of?
Is it good for walking around or running?
Any other recommendations or comments are appreciated as well as regard to locations to live. Thank you!

Old 05-23-2010, 12:28 PM

Yes, this is one block in to Uptown. The part of Uptown that is south of Montrose is called "Buena Park", and it is pretty solidly nice with the exception of a couple of mildly troublesome spots. Bittersweet is probably the most desirable street in Buena Park for condos because it is so close to Lake View. I've noticed that condo prices on Bittersweet track a little higher than on streets further north, though there is also a desirable mansion district to the north on Hutchinson with large, stately single-family homes that sell in the multi-million dollar range.

Street parking will be very difficult there--as in any lakefront location. Though rental parking is plentiful nearby. I live in the area and park in a nearby highrise.

This is a great location for walking and running because you can access the lakefront path at the Irving Park Road underpass--and there is also a pedestrian tunnel under LSD at Buena Ave. This path runs almost the entire length of the city along the lake. It gets pretty busy on nice summer weekends, but can be quite peaceful off peak hours.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:33 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Okay, I was able to see the building on Google Maps, and I'm familair with it (I live pretty close). It's always struck me as a well-cared-for building, though I've never been inside. The landscaping is always nicely done, and they did some facade restoration a year or two ago.
I've been inside once, although it might have been 700 (IIRC, 700 and 708 addresses are in the same building). Now, this was some years back, but the building seemed pretty decent to me.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:55 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
The "block by block" issues in Uptown tend to be more on the other side of the neighborhood. You're in the far southwest corner of Uptown - and it's much more known as Buena Park than "UPTOWN". I live a few blocks from Bittersweet, and it's a nice area.

I wouldn't worry about the "Uptown safety" histeria really, aside from the obvious urban/Chicago awareness of your surroundings.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 AM

I'd go as far to say that Bittersweet is a nicer street than the other east-west streets further south until you get to, say, Stratford. I do check Everyblock crime maps for my own neighborhood fairly often, and this is a VERY quiet area in terms of crime. And the transit is more convenient there because of all of the Lakeshore Drive express buses that go express at Irving Park Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago