Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:29 AM

422 posts, read 808,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillejane View Post
Just read about this shooting on bike article. What's going on in uptown (modern day chiraq)? why would anyone want to live there?!
In 1999 in suburban Columbine, Colorado about 20 kids were shot dead. Does that make you scared to live in the suburbs?

You can't take isolated incidents and hype them up into hysteria saying the whole city or even specific neighborhoods are bad. If you want to be 100% safe live like Paul Bunyon out in the woods, just make sure you have a shotgun to kill the grizzly bears with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 AM

4,111 posts, read 9,014,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
In 1999 in suburban Columbine, Colorado about 20 kids were shot dead. Does that make you scared to live in the suburbs?
Well, the Columbine shootings did make a lot of people afraid of teenage whiteboys who wear dog chains and all-black clothing. This is to say nothing of the metal detectors, police liaison officers and "zero tolerance" policies that were placed in high schools all across the country.

And actually, yeah, I do think the Columbine shootings hurt the reputation of small town America. The culture of a town like Columbine is pretty far removed from any suburb of Chicago.

I get what you're saying though. The rest of your comment is good.

Last edited by urza216; 08-22-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 09-29-2010, 03:24 PM

46 posts, read 65,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardot View Post
I just moved to Buena Park 2 weeks ago so I can talk about my experience thus far in Uptown. I've lived in Chicago for 6 years, previously in Lincoln Park, South Loop, and Gold Coast (spoiled, I know). I'm a 25 year old female.

I found Buena Park through apartment finders and chose it b/c of the cheap rent, historical architecture and proximity to the lake . It is my understanding that Buena Park only constitutes about 2 or 3 gorgeous, tree-lined blocks with some notable Deco architecture. However, one must consider that a couple of blocks can make a big difference in Uptown.

Honestly, this is the first neighborhood I've ever felt genuine discomfort being in. I've become as familiar with hobos and crazies as the next Chicagoan, but the ones in this neighborhood don't keep to themselves. My first day here I saw a woman followed and accosted by a crazy in broad daylight. I heard screams coming from the Hotel Chateau on my way to Whole Foods. I dodged a broken drug needle on the sidewalk. And was asked "Do you speak English? Come here!" by a dubious man supposedly having car trouble. I've seen at least a dozen wanderers that look absolutely crazy in the head. I haven't even ventured North of Montrose as I've heard it isn't wise. I feel I'm stuck having to walk past Hotel Chateau and other hotspots in order to make my way to Lakeview or Wrigleyville, where all the restaurants/shopping are. If I want to travel on the El I have to go to the 2nd closest stop, Sheridan, as apparently Wilson is a hellhole. Also, my local coffee shop and hair dresser were robbed a few weeks ago. Plus it's kind of lacking in quality restaurants.

My overall impression so far is that it's a mixed bag. I walk some blocks thinking 'This place is completely fine, how could I have doubted it?', then I'll walk another few blocks mentally preparing myself to be mugged. If you're really after cheap rent it's probably worth it and the neighborhood seems to be heading in the right direction but I absolutely would not walk alone here at night. I think the history of the neighborhood, the amazing architecture/housing and great rent rates are what appeal most to me about the area.

Honestly, people like you make me sick. I could NEVER look at a mentally ill person and have a negative view about them. I have a relative who suffered from severe schizophrenia and often ended up on the streets off and on due to her illness. She often thought cameras were in her home watching her. Let me tell someone like you something, each person is an individual and there has to be someone out there that cares about them and if there isn't someone they are still human beings. How dare you judge them? Seriously? Who do you think you are? You're obviously not as spoiled as you'd love to think because you couldn't afford living in the Gold Coast. You make me sick and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you run across the wrong person in Uptown! I hope karma eats you alive for that and someone really does get you! I'm so against racism towards minorities, gays, mentally ill people, homelessness. Why? Because I've lived in a world there these groups have been apart of my life. I cant stand people like you at all, just remember something, and never forget what I'm about to say, "YOU ARE NOTHING, NO ONE and you are NOT the world"

Don't point your fingers and judge, you are NOT better than anyone at all. Be thankful for who you are and what you have because you could end up like the person you are judging.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:04 PM

289 posts, read 893,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovegermany View Post
Honestly, people like you make me sick. I could NEVER look at a mentally ill person and have a negative view about them. I have a relative who suffered from severe schizophrenia and often ended up on the streets off and on due to her illness. She often thought cameras were in her home watching her. Let me tell someone like you something, each person is an individual and there has to be someone out there that cares about them and if there isn't someone they are still human beings. How dare you judge them? Seriously? Who do you think you are? You're obviously not as spoiled as you'd love to think because you couldn't afford living in the Gold Coast. You make me sick and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you run across the wrong person in Uptown! I hope karma eats you alive for that and someone really does get you! I'm so against racism towards minorities, gays, mentally ill people, homelessness. Why? Because I've lived in a world there these groups have been apart of my life. I cant stand people like you at all, just remember something, and never forget what I'm about to say, "YOU ARE NOTHING, NO ONE and you are NOT the world"

Don't point your fingers and judge, you are NOT better than anyone at all. Be thankful for who you are and what you have because you could end up like the person you are judging.
Lighten up, Francis. Her comments were hardly a John Rocker post and was more about what she actually saw and heard. We are all God's children, but Uptown is Sketchville big time.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:21 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,480,572 times
Getting screamed at is scary (maybe it's never happened to you?). Even if it's not the crazy person's fault, that certainly doesn't mean someone should be thrilled to have to live with them.

Then again, that's why you should do loads of research on a place before you settle. Everyone has a different comfort level.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:37 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,501,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovegermany View Post

So someone is uncomfortable living amongst the mentally ill, and you feel it's your place to tell them off?

BTW, in the thread about "white street youth" you say you were uncomfortable living amongst black people....

Quote:
The only down side was that once we made it to Chicago we had to live among the black people. That was not so bad but still not comfortable.
Think before you type out silly diatribes.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
It seems Uptown even attracts a high school student and her bf from well over 10 miles away on the south side to commit crimes...

"Linda Warner, 18, of the 7300 Block South Peoria Street, and Tony Windmon, 20, of the 6700 block of South Marshfield Avenue, were charged late Tuesday with armed robbery with a dangerous weapon, police said."

2 charged with using Taser to rob woman in Uptown - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/10/2-charged-with-using-taser-to-rob-woman-in-uptown.html - broken link)

Old 10-21-2010, 10:38 AM

3,381 posts, read 3,308,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
It seems Uptown even attracts a high school student and her bf from well over 10 miles away on the south side to commit crimes...

"Linda Warner, 18, of the 7300 Block South Peoria Street, and Tony Windmon, 20, of the 6700 block of South Marshfield Avenue, were charged late Tuesday with armed robbery with a dangerous weapon, police said."

2 charged with using Taser to rob woman in Uptown - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/10/2-charged-with-using-taser-to-rob-woman-in-uptown.html - broken link)
Damn, that's extremely sad to read about this. And how do 2 robbers like that get a Taser? Thought of that just creeps me out.

But I did laugh hard at the end of the article, when they got arrested at the Foster/Broadway gas station(and which is known to be overpriced for gas, since there are very few competing gas stations near it).

Old 10-21-2010, 02:46 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Damn, that's extremely sad to read about this. And how do 2 robbers like that get a Taser?...
Probably online.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:12 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
1300 West is almost Andersonville that far north. They were in a pretty nice North Side neighborhood looking for victims, not trolling the seedy streets of Uptown. It seems like they probably didn't even know where they were, and that this could have happened anywhere with quick Lake Shore Drive access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago