Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:12 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,838,830 times

Advertisements

Salata,

Come and hang out with on california in the middle of a hot summer night and tell me how safe it is. I know not one, 3 drug dealers who operate in that area around division (I used to get approached when I would go drinking at california clipper, continental and coco's). East HP is more livable than west HP but is no paradise. Those with other options should seek out logan square (east of kimball) or areas further east and north.

The reason the area north of division is worse in that area is that there are more bickerdike developments and more section 8 housing. It is less gentrified. Streets like talman and waubansia have some real rough parts, several flashing blue lights north of the one at rockwell and division. I don't know of as many flashing blue lights south apart from the one at augusta and california. The roundabouts along hirsh and evergreen make it even worse.

It is not nearly as livable as you claim and these girls (mace doesn't work, dogs do)) should be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:58 AM

48 posts, read 89,167 times
[quote=Humboldt1;14508198]Salata,

The reason the area north of division is worse in that area is that there are more bickerdike developments and more section 8 housing. It is less gentrified. Streets like talman and waubansia have some real rough parts, several flashing blue lights north of the one at rockwell and division. I don't know of as many flashing blue lights south apart from the one at augusta and california. The roundabouts along hirsh and evergreen make it even worse.

I'm with Humbolt on this. When I was looking at properties (period of 6-7 months) it appeared that the HP neighborhood bordered by North Ave to the north, Division to the south, Western to the east and California to the west was very "active" with people hanging out on corners, sitting in front yards drinking, etc, than other portions of HP. I know Humbolt mentioned Wabansia, which doesn't fall into my parameters, but it's only one block north.

I realize it really is all block to block, and I even went under contract on a two flat on Rockwell near Haddon. It was a REO, so I had to make the decision quick, like hours. It was the daytime when I viewed the property and the block seemed ok, not the greatest, not the worst. After I found out I was the highest offer, took the girlfriend for a drive through there at night. Called my Realtor the next am and canceled the contract. It was like a different neighborhood at night, and this was in February, so I can't imagine what July must be like.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 AM

Default Shaman

Wise move cancelling the contract. Too much anti-gentrification crowd. To the non-PC people this means there are lots of low-income Puerto Ricans who refuse to move to gentrification, so gentrification is going around them, leaving most of the North-Division and Western-California alone, with more and more condos as you approach western and some facing the park on california.

While the 59 ft flags are cool, this neighborhood is "for sale", which Puerto Ricans and other low-income supporters are adamently opposed to. This references an article (Humboldt Park: Not For Sale). This neighborhood is always in transition and does not belong to any group. It was German/Norweigian and will be almost all yuppie in 10-15 years. There will be hold-outs, especially around low income housing developments sponsored by Bickerdike and HHDC (Hispanic Housing Development Corporation), but you will see more and more gentrification come in. It will not happen overnight and will take years, maybe even decades to fully gentrify.

I just don't understand why anyone with $250K would buy a condo in Logan Square/Humbodlt Park now when they can buy in west loop or loop and have much better location and amenities. Sure, when those same condos were going for $400-500K I get it, but no with foreclosures, and those same units are going for $200-300K, why take the risk?

Note, this is coming from a guy with a 4-flat in HP who is in process of buying another 3-flat. None of my renters are yuppies or will be for years to come. My renters are all low-income working hispanics.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:46 AM

48 posts, read 89,167 times
It's funny you mention the HHDC, I noticed that stenciled on the garbage cans on the property next to the 2 flat I spoke about. I had to look it up to see what it was.

The reason I chose Logan Square (as opposed to the other hoods you mentioned) was I really loved Bucktown, but couldn't compel myself to shell out the money for that area. LS seemed like the perfect union of being close to an area I liked and affordability. I am six blocks west of where I rented, and it really is much different.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:57 AM

438 posts, read 1,693,200 times
[quote=LebronInChicago;14484329]Stop being scared they are not going to kill you. Drug dealers/gang bangers go after there rivals or even ppl who robbed them!quote]

Until you get caught up in their crossfire, driving down the street or walking down the street...Stray bullets don't care who you are

Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,824,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204 View Post
It's funny you mention the HHDC, I noticed that stenciled on the garbage cans on the property next to the 2 flat I spoke about. I had to look it up to see what it was.

The reason I chose Logan Square (as opposed to the other hoods you mentioned) was I really loved Bucktown, but couldn't compel myself to shell out the money for that area. LS seemed like the perfect union of being close to an area I liked and affordability. I am six blocks west of where I rented, and it really is much different.
where did you end up?

Old 06-07-2010, 12:10 PM

62 posts, read 134,635 times
Humboldt,

I think all this going to happen much faster. In my opinion will take about 5 years. Wicker Park is right now too cool, too expensive and too close to east Humboldt Park. Once again I'm talking only about east Humboldt Park and maybe 2 blocks west of Kedzie. I own 2 flat in this area and when I posted for rent ad on Craigslist I had about 20 calls and e-mall daily, mostly from hipsters. I'm not expert in Logan Square, never lived there.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:38 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,387,810 times
Just curious, what does a hipster sound like over the phone? Do they call you "Daddy-O" and call Lincoln Park "strictly dullsville man" or anything like that, like Ginsberg and those guys used to?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:26 PM

Default Salata

I can pick up 2-flats a couple blocks west of kedzie in Humboldt Park for $100-200K, that were selling for $400K 5 years ago. East of the park, I can pick up 2-flats for 200-300K, that sold for $500-600K 5 years ago. I think it will take longer than 5 years to fully gentrify east of the park.

Prices will continue to drop for the next 18 months here in the Chicago area. We are not at bottom yet. I have looked at buying a couple of 6-flats at augusta and california for 500K each, but believe they will drop further in price, plus the renters are rough and would be a bear to evict.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,424,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
...I think it will take longer than 5 years to fully gentrify east of the park...
I would say at least 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago