Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:09 AM

15 posts, read 30,702 times

Advertisements

So, I posted a thread about a month ago asking for advice on neighborhoods to move to as I will be new to the city in July. I am a 21 year old female who will be a transfer student at Columbia.
I have found a place that fits my budget and that I am very excited about. It is at W Cortland St and N Richmond St. I was reading that south of North Ave in Humboldt Park is where most of the gang activity and issues reside, and my potential roommate said that crime isn't really an issue in his neighborhood but I wanted to get a few outsider opinions as well. I just want to make sure that I will be okay walking to and from the El station in the evening (not 4 am or anything because I doubt I'd do that anyways). Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 12:17 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Aside from that being a "meh" neighborhood -- not great, not awful -- that's a hell of a hike to the nearest L station; like, at least half an hour. You'd probably end up taking the bus from the L station to your street, which is just as well since it's safer than walking anyway.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:24 AM

It's really that unsafe?

Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
If you as a 21-year-old female want to walk around a marginal neighborhood by yourself for an hour every day, be my guest. There's a good chance nothing will happen to you -- and there's also a better chance than I'd be comfortable letting my wife or daughter take that something will happen to you. This isn't Naperville we're talking about here.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:32 AM

I'm not saying I want to do it necessarily, was just asking for an opinion. And I got one. So thank you.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:30 AM

10 posts, read 21,488 times
All i know is that the Maniac Latin Disciples post up around there and some spanish cobras still got hoods around there too.But they won't mess with you unless you look like a rival gangbanger" your hat hit to the left or right" or baggy clothes, gang colors, gang tats, your pant leg rolled up to a certain side. Any if you don't "walk like a duck your mostly likely not a duck" so if your a normal person.Your safe and fine! They might even be nice neighbors.So don't worry it's a gentrifing area.Alot of new fancy condos being buildt. In Chicago your very safe everywhere you go, but if your a gangbanger....Are your freinds in gangs? Well if you are, get ready to fear for your life! Just don't join gangs and you'll be fine. Gangs kill each other and they know what there in for.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:31 AM

10 posts, read 21,488 times
And don't get scared by the post i just made.Humboldt Park and Logan Sqaure are REALLY safe......as long as you don't gangbang! Aye we got the PR fest starting in about 2 weeks from know don't miss it or the parade.It's all about having fun and having a good time.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:57 AM

504 posts, read 1,493,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
...that's a hell of a hike to the nearest L station; like, at least half an hour. You'd probably end up taking the bus from the L station to your street, which is just as well since it's safer than walking anyway.
Did you misread the address she gave? I'd say it's only about a 10-12 minute walk from that intersection to the California L stop.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:04 AM

Yeah, I looked at Google Maps and California L did not look a half hour away. It's about 4 blocks or so from what I can tell.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronInChicago View Post
And don't get scared by the post i just made.Humboldt Park and Logan Sqaure are REALLY safe......as long as you don't gangbang! Aye we got the PR fest starting in about 2 weeks from know don't miss it or the parade.It's all about having fun and having a good time.
Thanks LeBron, that sounds like fun. I live in a suburb of Washington D.C. that is mostly El Salvadorian and Central American. I do not have a problem living around Hispanic people at all (which I hear make up a large population around Humboldt Park) And no, I don't gangbang. I've got plenty of tattoos but not one gang tattoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago