Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:03 AM

702 posts, read 1,006,356 times

Advertisements

The Doctrine of "Original Sin" Is Unscriptural

Ezek 18:2-4...
2 What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge?
3 As I live, saith the Lord GOD, ye shall not have occasion any more to use this proverb in Israel.
4 Behold, all souls are mine...

Jeremiah 31:30...
30 But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.

Nothing I know of in Scripture teaches the passing on of sin to our offspring, i.e., the doctrine of "Original Sin" (another phrase that is NOT in the Bible, but is from Roman Catholic tradition.) There is something like original death going on, and "...sin reigns in [the domain of] death..." (Rm 5:21) In 2 Pet 1:4, it tells of God and His giving us, "...exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." "Corruption" is the decay of a corpse. This comes from death. "The wages of sin is death." Why do we lust in the first place? Because we are wanting something we do not have. What do we not have? Life. We are born lacking because we are born dying. Attempting to meet the need misses it's target and enlarges the death process.

The apostle, teaching about judgment and that it is not the hearers, but rather the doers of God's law that are justified, points out, "...the nations that have no law, by nature may be doing that which the law demands..." (Rm 2:14, CLT) I was raised with the opposite idea of my "nature." In fact, it went so far that, without a successful conversion experience, by default I was to be tortured ceaselessly for ever for just being born here. I started out damned for Adam's sin. My original nature was altogether evil. This is a horrible foundation in a child's life and is hard to be rid of later. That puts a real crimp in your love for yourself and the rest of mankind. One lives a life of God ordained dread and doom, the whole sense of self always under condemnation. Every human, no matter what age, is viewed with an evil eye. It really is the devil's lie. It was never taught that "by nature" I would do God's will, as Paul pointed to in the passage just quoted.

Scripture also teaches that sin is "against nature." (cf., Rm 2:26-27) The doctrine of "original sin" keeps millions of people believing humans are inherently evil when we are actually good. When we "do by nature the things written in the Law," and sin is when we "do those things against nature," this means, though fallen, man is still "good" if not "very good." ("The Fall" isn't actual Biblical terminology either.)

Through the things that are made, the creation (cf., Rm 1:20) and in our own selves (cf., Rm 1:19, 21-23) God has taught us of Himself and has even revealed Himself in us. This is spoken of those that do not have the knowledge in the written word. Paul is certainly not talking about the work of the spirit in the new birth; but, he speaks of the nature of those among the nations (or, gentiles) as they are born of Adam.

Augustine (354-430 AD) seems to be the source of the "original sin" teaching. It is largely based on taking David's statement about himself regarding adultery with Bathsheba and the murder of her husband Nathan and applying it to everybody. The KJV illustrates that bias in translating it: "In sin did my mother conceive me." (Ps 51:5) Scripture nowhere says sexual intercourse is sin. Concordant Literal has: "Behold, I was with (lit., in) depravity when I was travailed in birth, And in sin when my mother conceived me." This is a difficult word, but it doesn't teach an inherently wicked nature is the lot of all humanity other than Jesus.

Another important source Augustine used was the following passage from Romans:
Romns 5:12-14 (CLT)...
12 Therefore, even as through one man sin entered into the world, and through sin death, and thus death passed through into all mankind, on which all sinned --
13 for until law sin was in the world, yet sin is not being taken into account when there is no law;
14 nevertheless death reigns from Adam unto Moses, over those also who do not sin in the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him Who is about to be.

But Paul did not say the sin of Adam was inherited by the rest of humanity. He says Adam died for his sin and that death spread to the rest of humanity. In fact, God's word goes on to say sin and death have no more dominion over humanity because of the victory over all destroying man by Jesus' death and resurrection bringing in a new humanity.

Romans 5:16-17 (CLT)...
16 And not as through one act of sinning is the gratuity. For, indeed, the judgment is out of one into condemnation, yet the grace is out of many offenses into a just award.
17 For if, by the offense of the one, death reigns through the one, much rather, those obtaining the superabundance of grace and the gratuity of righteousness shall be reigning in life through the One, Jesus Christ.

your brother, James Rohde
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 05:21 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned; (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law). Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.... (Rom 5:12-14)

Old 09-28-2009, 06:34 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned; (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law). Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.... (Rom 5:12-14)
AND THEN SOME!
1 Corinthians 15:22 (NIV)
22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
AND THEN SOME!
1 Corinthians 15:22 (NIV)
22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.
Why Fundy, how universalist of you!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:04 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Heh!!! I am also a catholic and a Jehovah Witness!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Heh!!! I am also a catholic and a Jehovah Witness!
The mysteries of the ages are hard to pin down sometimes!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:50 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post

2 What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge?
3 As I live, saith the Lord GOD, ye shall not have occasion any more to use this proverb in Israel.

30 But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.

Nothing I know of in Scripture teaches the passing on of sin to our offspring, i.e., the doctrine of "Original Sin" (another phrase that is NOT in the Bible, but is from Roman Catholic tradition.) There is something like original death going on, and "...sin reigns in [the domain of] death..." (Rm 5:21) In 2 Pet 1:4, it tells of God and His giving us, "...exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." "Corruption" is the decay of a corpse. This comes from death. "The wages of sin is death." Why do we lust in the first place? Because we are wanting something we do not have. What do we not have? Life. We are born lacking because we are born dying. Attempting to meet the need misses it's target and enlarges the death process.

The apostle, teaching about judgment and that it is not the hearers, but rather the doers of God's law that are justified, points out, "...the nations that have no law, by nature may be doing that which the law demands..." (Rm 2:14, CLT) I was raised with the opposite idea of my "nature." In fact, it went so far that, without a successful conversion experience, by default I was to be tortured ceaselessly for ever for just being born here. I started out damned for Adam's sin. My original nature was altogether evil. This is a horrible foundation in a child's life and is hard to be rid of later. That puts a real crimp in your love for yourself and the rest of mankind. One lives a life of God ordained dread and doom, the whole sense of self always under condemnation. Every human, no matter what age, is viewed with an evil eye. It really is the devil's lie. It was never taught that "by nature" I would do God's will, as Paul pointed to in the passage just quoted.

Scripture also teaches that sin is "against nature." (cf., Rm 2:26-27) The doctrine of "original sin" keeps millions of people believing humans are inherently evil when we are actually good. When we "do by nature the things written in the Law," and sin is when we "do those things against nature," this means, though fallen, man is still "good" if not "very good." ("The Fall" isn't actual Biblical terminology either.)

Through the things that are made, the creation (cf., Rm 1:20) and in our own selves (cf., Rm 1:19, 21-23) God has taught us of Himself and has even revealed Himself in us. This is spoken of those that do not have the knowledge in the written word. Paul is certainly not talking about the work of the spirit in the new birth; but, he speaks of the nature of those among the nations (or, gentiles) as they are born of Adam.

Augustine (354-430 AD) seems to be the source of the "original sin" teaching. It is largely based on taking David's statement about himself regarding adultery with Bathsheba and the murder of her husband Nathan and applying it to everybody. The KJV illustrates that bias in translating it: "In sin did my mother conceive me." (Ps 51:5) Scripture nowhere says sexual intercourse is sin. Concordant Literal has: "Behold, I was with (lit., in) depravity when I was travailed in birth, And in sin when my mother conceived me." This is a difficult word, but it doesn't teach an inherently wicked nature is the lot of all humanity other than Jesus.

12 Therefore, even as through one man sin entered into the world, and through sin death, and thus death passed through into all mankind, on which all sinned --
13 for until law sin was in the world, yet sin is not being taken into account when there is no law;
14 nevertheless death reigns from Adam unto Moses, over those also who do not sin in the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him Who is about to be.

But Paul did not say the sin of Adam was inherited by the rest of humanity. He says Adam died for his sin and that death spread to the rest of humanity. In fact, God's word goes on to say sin and death have no more dominion over humanity because of the victory over all destroying man by Jesus' death and resurrection bringing in a new humanity.

16 And not as through one act of sinning is the gratuity. For, indeed, the judgment is out of one into condemnation, yet the grace is out of many offenses into a just award.
17 For if, by the offense of the one, death reigns through the one, much rather, those obtaining the superabundance of grace and the gratuity of righteousness shall be reigning in life through the One, Jesus Christ.

With all due respect, I don't find your argument to be compelling.

Do you fully understand the Doctrine of Original Sin? Are you able to make the case for the Doctrine of Original Sin citing at least some of the pertaining Systematic and historical theological approaches?

My personal opinion is that too many Christians spend way too much time trying to 're-invent the wheel' so to speak. I'm not an expert on people such as Augustine, Aquinas, Calvin, Luther...to name a few, however, what I have read convinces me that they were certainly not just a bunch of dunder heads. ('dunder heads' is my term, I don't mean to assert here that you make such an indictment in your OP).

True enough, the term: 'Doctrine of Original Sin' does not appear in the Bible. Neither does the term: 'Doctrine of the Trinity' or the word 'Trinity.' Nor does 'Doctrine of Election.' As you most probably are aware, these terms developed according to the historical 'systematic' approach towards Theology and Biblical hermeneutics. My point is that these Doctrines have been developed over time (through peer review, if you will) based on a contextual outlook of scripture. In my opinion, this should not be taken lightly or glossed over or ignored without very careful thought and extremely comprehensive study.

Have you ever undertaken such a careful and comprehensive study?

Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Quote:

Original sin is the means by which God brought the entire human race under the umbrella of grace.

Adam's relationship with God before the fall depended on his obeying God's command not to eat of the tree of good and evil. As long as he obeyed God, his relationship with God remained intact and unbroken. Adam had been warned in Gen. 2:17 ''but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it, dying you shall die.''(This is the correct translation from the Hebrew. When Adam ate the fruit he immediately died spiritually, (he lost his relationship with God,). And as a result of his spiritual death, he died physically some nine hundred years later.

Now, when Adam disobeyed God, his act of disobedience advanced God's plan to the next stage. Adam aqquired an old sin nature which is genetic in nature, and is passed down through the male. When a person is born, he is born with an old sin nature to which God imputes Adams original sin. This results in a person being born physically alive but spiritually dead and therefore in need of salvation. And this is why Christ came into the world.

Now understand this. If God had not imputed Adam's original sin to every member of the human race, resulting in spiritual death, then every person born would be born in the status in which Adam had been created. Every one would be born into a relationship with God that depended on constant obedience in order to keep that relationship. The first time he sinned, that person would lose his relationship with God and would be in need of salvation. This would mean that you would have any number of people who had a relationship with God until such time as they committed a sin, and at the same time, there would be any number of people who had already sinned and had lost their relationship with God.

By causing everyone to be born already spiritually dead and in need of salvation, God brought everyone under one umbrella and eligible to be saved by the work of Christ on the Cross. The work of Christ on the Cross paid for and removed the penalty of sin for everyone. Therefore sin was removed as a barrier between man and God, and the issue became ''what think you of Christ.'' God requires a volitional issue in salvation. That is, God requires that we make one nonmeritorious act of faith in Jesus Christ for salvation. We must make a decision to step over the line where the barrier of sin used to be.

This is the reason for the imputation of Adam's original sin to every member of the human race.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:19 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,031,633 times
Quote:

The doctrine of original sin is very True. If you discount it then you must discount that all in the Body of Christ shall be saved. Because all in the body of Adam are condemned for all in the body of Adam have sinned. Besides, how else can you explain scripturally how a baby can DIE!? They DIE - and that FACT alone shows they MUST HAVE SIN for the wages of SIN is DEATH. There is not another reason to die BUT sin.

Paul

Old 09-28-2009, 11:13 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
The doctrine of original sin is very True. If you discount it then you must discount that all in the Body of Christ shall be saved. Because all in the body of Adam are condemned for all in the body of Adam have sinned. Besides, how else can you explain scripturally how a baby can DIE!? They DIE - and that FACT alone shows they MUST HAVE SIN for the wages of SIN is DEATH. There is not another reason to die BUT sin.

Paul
Inherited death (mortality) is the reason for dying.

It never says that sin passed through into all mankind. Rather, it is death that is passed on.

Romans 5:12-14 (CLT)...

Sin reigns in the realm of death.

"...even as Sin reigns in death, thus Grace also should be reigning through righteousness, for life eonian, through Jesus Christ, our Lord." (Rm 5:21, CLT)

You can reasonably explain the doctrine of "original sin;" but, until you come up with quoted words of Scripture that actually says the words of it I must defer to the Biblical evidence, or, as in this case, the lack of evidence. It is close to irrelevant how some human tradition originated, was refined and passed on, finally to be given to us. That history is of use if it helps us be delivered from the powers of darkness and the thralldom to those possessing the microphone who claim to be the arbiters of orthodoxy. Scripture is our authority. What it does or does not say determines what we do or do not say, that is, if we would be disciples of Christ, rather than seeking to please men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity