Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:47 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,179,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi all,
I've seen posts asking, "why become a Christian if all will be saved in the end anyway?"
Well, coming from an unbeliever, I can understand this POV. But a Christian should be able to grasp this easily, IMO.

This is how God saves:
He calls the person He wants to save, and that person responds to the call in his/her heart to be saved/seek God.
As a result, the individual's life changes noticeably. For example, when I got "called" and "responded," I then received what I consider a "baptism in the Holy Ghost." I was filled with joy. I remember the experience well, and I can say that it is the BEST experience I've ever had so far in my life.
How do I know it was from God? Look at the fruits: I began to pray for hours! It was a joy to pray! I liked talking about Jesus to people, and posting things about Him on my dorm room door. (People thought I was "going off the deep end.")
I also felt noticeably less "attached" to the things of the world. It didn't mean that I didn't enjoy pizza anymore, only that I could do without it and not suffer. The Lord became my first thought of the day, the last thought before bed; in a word, my ALL. I was IN LOVE!

Now this transition is a witness to the world. And God calls others to "seek Him" through believers. But God is not revealing Himself to the world right now. It is not His time.
But in the fullness of time, when the time of the gentiles is fulfilled, then some say THAT is when the coming/presence of the Son of God will come "as lightning that lights the sky from west to east." Multitudes will be converted, perhaps whole nations at a time.

The point is that it's God's move, not ours. And right now He is revealing Himself only to individuals, not to the whole world. Those of us who are blessed to have been "given" this salvation can rejoice to know that it is GOD's work, and He will have His desire fulfilled!

Blessings to all,
brian

Ps. I'm gonna start the "Book of Job" thread soon! Even though I'm not a great writer..!
That helps me to understand your position s a little more, I don't think I believe it but I understand it. I do hope you guys are right but I will continue to focus on the gospel just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 01:49 PM

223 posts, read 302,418 times
What does UR stand for?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:53 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,347,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNC10 View Post
What does UR stand for?
It means Universal Reconciliation. It's the conviction that Jesus came to save the world, and that He succeeded!

blessings!
brian

Old 06-09-2010, 02:05 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,105,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
That helps me to understand your position s a little more, I don't think I believe it but I understand it. I do hope you guys are right but I will continue to focus on the gospel just in case.
I'm glad that you at least hope it's true because that shows mercy and compassion. Remember, that "gospel" means "good news!"

Good OP, Brian.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:17 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,131,377 times
It helps to remember that none can stand before Him unless pure (Hab 1:13, Psa 24:3-4), and pure is something that no human has ever been.

Quote:
Pure adj. free from anything of a different, inferior, or contaminating kind; free from extraneous matter: pure gold; pure water.
In other words, without mixture - and a mixture is exactly what we are. Despite the arguments of several on this board, if anyone has nothing but the mind and nature of Christ - the world would know it, and so would we (1 John 1:8) Instead, we're a mixture of His seed and our carnality. But all will taste His fire, because we must be purified!

Last edited by little elmer; 06-09-2010 at 02:36 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,178,910 times
Quote:
What does UR stand for?
Universal Reconciliation, The Restoration of All Things, The Restitution of All Things, The Wider Hope.........

Old 06-09-2010, 02:37 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,178,910 times
Quote:
DEFINITELY keep your focus on the gospel!

There have been many traditional Christians in the past who have HOPED UR (the restoration of all things) was true, but still stayed with their traditional teachings. Hope is a good thing. Without hope the people perish.

Last edited by herefornow; 06-09-2010 at 03:14 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 03:02 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,179,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I'm glad that you at least hope it's true because that shows mercy and compassion. Remember, that "gospel" means "good news!"

Good OP, Brian.
I don't think of Hell as eternal torment, I think it is more of a separation from God.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:12 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,299,707 times
Quote:
I don't think of Hell as eternal torment, I think it is more of a separation from God.
Eternal separation from God will be eternal torment.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:19 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,105,879 times
Quote:
What does UR stand for?
It's Christian Universalism, not to be confused with Unitarians. We believe there's only one way to God and that's through Christ and his sacrifice on the cross was for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity