U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:34 AM

58,851 posts, read 32,287,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
1Ti 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
Greek work Yelei means "desires", or "to take delight in, have pleasure". "to will" in english also means 'is my will" = "is my desire". Sorry, you've been had.

Does God desire humans to lead a sinless life? Yes, that is why he tells us to resist sin, but people sin anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,730,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 1Ti 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
1Ti 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
1Ti 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
Amen. No twisting there - just quoting the KJV of the bible.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Amen. No twisting there - just quoting the KJV of the bible.
If that settles it for you, then good for you. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,604,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If that settles it for you, then good for you. Good luck.
It settles it for me too. But I don't believe in good luck or bad luck. I believe in the sovereignty of God's will over all things.

BTW, Finn_Jarber - how would you feel if you learned that God intends to save every last person? I mean, would it make you feel happy?

Heartsong

Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
But I don't believe in good luck or bad luck. I believe in the sovereignty of God's will over all things.
I think you just proved that you believe in KJV no matter what the Greek text says

Quote:
BTW, Finn_Jarber - how would you feel if you learned that God intends to save every last person? I mean, would it make you feel happy?

Yes, very happy, but it is a moot point, since the Bible clearly teaches that is not the case.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,140,934 times
Quote:
You used your personal interpretation to say someone has to accept the free gift. The scripture doesn't say that. In fact, it says, the free gift CAME UPON all men. The sin that came upon all wasn't a choice we made individually, and neither was the free gift.

Romans 5:18. Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

blessings,
brian

Old 06-11-2010, 09:24 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,604,104 times
[quote=Finn_Jarber;14570201]I think you just proved that you believe in KJV no matter what the Greek text says

I have no idea why you say this. Your point is flying over my head. Are you a KJV onlyist? Or did you mean something else? I'm not a Greek scholar.

Heartsong

Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
You used your personal interpretation to say someone has to accept the free gift. The scripture doesn't say that. In fact, it says, the free gift CAME UPON all men. The sin that came upon all wasn't a choice we made individually, and neither was the free gift.

Romans 5:18. Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

So. Christ knocks with the free gift under his arm, but if you refuse to open, you won't receive it. It is not complicated.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I have no idea why you say this. Your point is flying over my head. Are you a KJV onlyist? Or did you mean something else? I'm not a Greek scholar.

Heartsong
There is not way you could have misunderstand what I said. Read it again.

If I say "I thinkyou just proved that you believe in KJV no matter what the Greek text says" , then how does that translate that I am a KJV onlyist ?????? ????????

Old 06-11-2010, 09:47 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,140,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

So. Christ knocks with the free gift under his arm, but if you refuse to open, you won't receive it. It is not complicated.
Hi Finn,
I think where the misunderstanding is, is that you seem to be saying that Jesus is standing at the door of every man's heart, saying, "yoo hoo! Please open so that I can come in!"

Other people read that same verse as simply a declaration of Jesus: this is what happens when God calls a man: he hears my voice, he is drawn to open, and Jesus then enters to dine with him.
But this is not an "invitation to the world." It is merely an explanation of a spiritual fact. If you look at the life of Saul/Paul, you will see that this is exactly what happened to him, too. God knocks! And when HE knocks, we open!!

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity