U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2010, 05:21 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,425,536 times
Reputation: 989

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Man, what kind of school did your daughter graduate from???
Just a medium sized public high school about 50 miles north of Detroit. Every speaker gave a sermon.

The kind of school? The kind of school in a community in which people still revere God and filled with people who don't as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2010, 05:29 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,425,536 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
Eusebias....truly,some ppl out there WANT to go to hell.YES i'm serious! they say things like they would never worship God,or any god,period.and that God is arrogant,self-serving..etc..all kinds of nasty things.they arent grateful for even one second that they're alive.much less for all the things God has given them. 'every good gift that you receive comes from My hand'.
so *please don't be naive...hell is for those who truly WANT to be there,for those who outright reject Jesus....and those ppl do exist out there in the world.

Just as you say God would not send ppl to hell...well,He certainly wouldn't make them go to heaven either,if they didn't want to!!!! pls try reading a few blogs out there if you don't believe me...it's true some professed 'unbelievers' talk about God more than believers do!
Dear SC122, why would those people want to go to heaven? Would you like to have roomed with Jeffrey Dahmer the flesh eating murderer of Chicago? If God really were as diabolical as Christendumb makes Him I too would rather go to hell.

Maybe if Christendumb started portraying God as a God of love Who is more loving than their earthly fathers, more people would want to get to know this God.

Basically this guy that preached at my daughter's baccalaureate is a child abuser for what he put them through for that 45 minutes and will maybe stick with them the rest of their lives. How many of them will commit suicide due to what he preached? Or overdose on meds? Or become abusers themselves because they know they can never appease this horrendous god?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Germany
1,647 posts, read 1,706,353 times
Reputation: 842
the 'concordant' writings are excellent:

Concordant Publishing Concern Catalog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 07:22 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,425,536 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
the 'concordant' writings are excellent:

Concordant Publishing Concern Catalog
Indeed, they are excellent and clear up many enigmas in the Sacred Scriptures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,107,186 times
Reputation: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Eternal Torment preached at Baccalaureate

Tonight a public speaker flew in from Atlanta to speak at my daughter's baccalaureate. The main topic was heaven or hell. This guy rubbs elbows with all the famous athletes. He starts off by asking the audience if anyone believe hell is eternal. I said "NO!" But he didn't get a good enough response from the audience so he asked the question again "Does anyone here believe hell is eternal?" and this time I yelled "NO!!!!". Lot's of people turned around and looked right at me. He continued as if nothing was said.
He spent 45 minutes mentally abusing the graduates telling them all about how God is going to eternally torment them in hell if they don't believe in Him. He kept snapping his fingers and saying "every second two people in the world die. Before your head hits the pillow over a hundred thousand people will have died in the world. What are you going to do about it? All those people will go to heaven or hell he said.

After the abuse session I had a word with him in front of my daughter. I asked him, Mark, would your earthly father torture you if you didn't do what he told you to do? He snapped back: "What's your point." So I asked again, very gently, Would your dad build a bonfire in the back yard and torture you in those flames if you didn't do what he told you to do. He replied "No. What's your point." So I asked him if his earthly father is more loving than his heavenly father.

Then I started telling him all about 1 Timothy 2:4-6 how that God will save all mankind because Christ ransomed all. I told him to do a study on the world "ransom" through the whole bible and prove to himself that everyone ransomed had to be freed. He replied, Yea but there is a hell and lots of people are going there. I replied, Mark, what did I just say? I said "God will have all mankind to be saved because Christ ransomed all mankind. He asked, What's the context? I replied "we are to pray for all mankind, for kings and all who are in authority for God will have all mankind to be saved for Christ ransomed all." He asked: Are you a Jehovah's Witness?" I said No. He said: Well there is a hell and there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. I replied that that hell is Gehenna and it is only for the thousand years. And I said the lake of fire is the second death and that no one suffers in the lake of fire because it is death. He replied, "yea but it is for ever and ever and ever and ever." I replied, No it is just for ever and ever. He replied, well that's eternity isn't it? I said no and I rattled off the Greek for it. So he told me to send him some literature and he'd read it. He said "You can't prove to me it's not eternal." I laughed and pointed my finger right at him and said "I sure can prove it's not eternal!"
I told him, Mark, you are tormented by this. He said "No I'm not." I said of course you are. You are tormented. I told him I used to preach hell and damnation. He said you need to get back to it. I said to just search out the word "ransom" and prove to yourself that all ransomed must be freed.
My daughter was amazed I wouldn't back down from this 6'6 or so tall guy.

Anyway, what book do you think I should send him that you think would really help him?
Romans chapter 5. ALL of it.

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,451 posts, read 31,853,456 times
Reputation: 9399
Send him "Burning Down the Shack". It completely refutes the herecy of UR which is promoted in the book "The Shack".

New Book 'Burning Down 'The Shack'' Exposes Great Deception Lurking in Church's Blindside - Christian Newswire

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-10-2010 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,451 posts, read 31,853,456 times
Reputation: 9399
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Tact is one thing many traditional Christians do NOT have. THAT I can assure you. And, the reason we push these issues is because we have studied and we care about ALL people.
YOUR care won't save anyone. That is the part you don't understand. You don't like what the Bible teaches, so you changed the story, and now you claim you did it because you care. That is a huge problem right there.

If you knew someone has cancer, would not you not tell them because it would hurt their feelings? No, you tell them because that is the only chance they got. If they don't know, they won't seek treatement, and they will die. So, you tell them to give them a chance to survive. Whether or not they listen to you is up to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 09:47 AM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,720,522 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Just don't warn the parents of someone who just left the earth after suffering through cancer that they will share the same fate as their poor not-suffering-from-cancer-anymore-but-burning-in-hell child.

So it is appropriate at a Baccalaureate but not a funeral?

If people need to be warned... well then you should give up all your money to fund a program to warn others about it! Why is it that hell-preachers make more money than they spend to spread this hell doctrine?

And why is it that hell-preachers preach hell to Christians in church when the hell-bound aren't even there? AND if the hell-bound are there they are turned away because they are "bad seeds" so to speak.

I find it all so tiresome! Warn people about the GOOD NEWS!
Such a good point. There isn't a bible verse that says to warn people of Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection.

If hell is a literal lake of fire, nothing else really matters and believers in ET should be warning people night and day. Imagine if it were true and Jesus came back and found believers shopping at Home Depot to improve their flower beds, or eating lunch at Burger King, or having fun at a party - or at a potluck dinner at church! They are doing all this instead of warning people? It just goes to show that warning people is not what God intended for our lives. Why not, if people all around us are dying every day and going to an eternal firepit? It's clear we are to love our neighbors as our ourselves, but how can we keep that commandment and not be just as concerned for their eternal fate as our own? It is impossible for us to do anything to save people, and that's exactly why most people never try to help them "get saved", or else they try and give up. What's impossible with man is possible with God. God can and will save the people He created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 10:02 AM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,720,522 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I agree,mellanieblue.although i don't overall disagree w the message..he was supposed to be offering words of encouragement for the future.it was not the time or place to preach.
If people were actually going to be SET ON FIRE infinitely, how could any time not be the time to warn people? If it were true, that would be ALL that matters! If, right in the middle of that service, the auditorium caught on fire, would it be an inappropriate time to warn people to get out? And that's just comparing it to death. How much more urgent would it be to warn people if they were going to burn forever and not be able to escape it - FOREVER?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 10:19 AM
 
1,897 posts, read 1,720,522 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Well it isn’t a question of “what does this verse means to me”. That leads to personal interpretation which is a sure path to error. The verse means what it says.

Again, from my first post in this discussion:


You found one of those rare examples I refer to where the word "all" is used individually. In this case sin came upon all mankind through Adam and all mankind can choose to accept the free gift. It does not say that all people will receive the gift of Salvation through Christ Jesus. The choice is ours these are known as the doctrines of original sin and free will.
You used your personal interpretation to say someone has to accept the free gift. The scripture doesn't say that. In fact, it says, the free gift CAME UPON all men. The sin that came upon all wasn't a choice we made individually, and neither was the free gift.

Romans 5:18. Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top