U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2010, 12:01 AM
 
783 posts, read 1,161,602 times
Reputation: 168

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Why would they be frightening to the wicked?

Jesus said that God is kind to the wicked....

Luke 6:35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.

Also Jesus came to save those very lost and wicked people which is why God is kind to them IMO....
You partially answered your own question. You simply overlook one of the end results because it is uncomfortable for you to consider.

God is kind, in that He gives us physical life and He sacrificed Himself for us so that we may also have eternal life in His presence. However, we must understand that we have to receive Him here, during our physical life to enjoy the gift of eternal life. Judgment is the component you have neglected to consider. It is a consequence of our decision to choose Him now or suffer eternal torment – separation from Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2010, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,415,178 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
You partially answered your own question. You simply overlook one of the end results because it is uncomfortable for you to consider.

God is kind, in that He gives us physical life and He sacrificed Himself for us so that we may also have eternal life in His presence. However, we must understand that we have to receive Him here, during our physical life to enjoy the gift of eternal life. Judgment is the component you have neglected to consider. It is a consequence of our decision to choose Him now or suffer eternal torment – separation from Him.
I haven't overlooked judgment at all. There is no separation from God... didn't you just say that God is everywhere? That even death cannot hide you from God? Then God is in hell and it cannot be suffering in eternal torment. There is no purpose to tormenting someone Jesus saved for eternity.

I do not accept it because the God I know IS love and love doesn't torture people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Florida
5,965 posts, read 5,588,203 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
However, we must understand that we have to receive Him here, during our physical life to enjoy the gift of eternal life. Judgment is the component you have neglected to consider. It is a consequence of our decision to choose Him now or suffer eternal torment – separation from Him.
Where do you get this message of threatening people with eternal torment? The scriptures teach that God proved his love through Christ dying for us WHILE WE WERE SINNERS and UNGODLY. Doesn't it seem odd to you that God would love people ONLY up until they no longer have biological life (except if they 'heard the good news and made the 'right intellectual choice') Obviously that automatically consigns literally BILLIONS of souls to your supposed ETERNAL HELL. That could not be called GOOD NEWS.

We're not ashamed to have this confidence, because God's love has been poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. Look at it this way: At the right time, while we were still helpless, Christ died for ungodly people. Finding someone who would die for a godly person is rare. Maybe someone would have the courage to die for a good person. Christ died for us while we were still sinners. This demonstrates God's love for us. - from Romans Chapter 5 (God's Word Translation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,391,214 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
You partially answered your own question. You simply overlook one of the end results because it is uncomfortable for you to consider.

God is kind, in that He gives us physical life and He sacrificed Himself for us so that we may also have eternal life in His presence. However, we must understand that we have to receive Him here, during our physical life to enjoy the gift of eternal life. Judgment is the component you have neglected to consider. It is a consequence of our decision to choose Him now or suffer eternal torment – separation from Him.
Overlooked judgment?? Nah! They are tormented in the PRESENCE of the lamb!

Everybody and everything will know what the light is soon enough!! It will overpower EVERYTHING!! Just like Saul/Paul!

God is reconciling ALL things in HEAVEN and earth to himself!!

Favorite verse: Revelation 5:13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Germany
1,656 posts, read 1,716,001 times
Reputation: 845
eternity is no biblical term at all

eternity - the philosopher's invention

Whence Eternity? How Eternity Slipped In by Alexander Thomson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,697,919 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
C.H. Spurgeon spoke of hell,
You and I can never imagine all the depths of hell. Shut out from us by a black veil of
darkness, we cannot tell the horrors of that dismal dungeon of lost souls. Happily, the
wailings of the damned have never startled us, for a thousand tempests were but a
maiden’s whisper, compared with one wail of a damned spirit. It is not possible for us
to see the tortures of those souls who dwell eternally within an anguish that knows
no alleviation. These eyes would become sightless balls of darkness, if they were
permitted for an instant to look into that ghastly shrine of torment. Hell is horrible,
for we may say of it, eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither hath it entered into the
heart of man to conceive the horrors which God hath prepared for them that hate
him.

There is not one scripture that tells us that the terrors of this place called hell is unimaginable. When someones premise is unscriptural, then there is no cause to believe such nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 AM
 
Location: God's Country
21,437 posts, read 29,612,746 times
Reputation: 29972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
There is not one scripture that tells us that the terrors of this place called hell is unimaginable. When someones premise is unscriptural, then there is no cause to believe such nonsense.
That is why I don't believe UR, there is not one Scripture to back it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,697,919 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
That is why I don't believe UR, there is not one Scripture to back it up.
I am glad you agree that there is not one scripture that describes the unimaginable terror of some place called hell.

However I can show you a number of scriptures that do describe the idea that God will save all mankind. But one will do for now, since you say there is not one.

Now, it is fine if you believe there is a different interpretatation, but the point I raised is that the description of an unimaginable horror in a place called hell doesn't exist in scripture to even start comparing interpretations. So the premise of the one that was quoted is false to start with.

However the premise that God will save all mankind is not false.

1 Timothy 2:4 "Who will have all men saved and come to the knowledge of truth"


Of course the typical arguments are over the word "Will" which is translated various ways from the ancient greek word "Thelo"

The primary meaning of thelo is "to determine" the explanation of "Thelo" is very enlightening, because it makes a distinction that is very specific.

So I have given cause to consider Christian Universalism where there is no cause to consider the scriptural premise of some hell that is full of unimaginable terror. You can consider it or not, suit yourself.


However, I thank you for seeing and agreeing with me concerning hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 09:26 AM
 
Location: God's Country
21,437 posts, read 29,612,746 times
Reputation: 29972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I am glad you agree that there is not one scripture that describes the unimaginable terror of some place called hell.

However I can show you a number of scriptures that do describe the idea that God will save all mankind. But one will do for now, since you say there is not one.

Now, it is fine if you believe there is a different interpretatation, but the point I raised is that the description of an unimaginable horror in a place called hell doesn't exist in scripture to even start comparing interpretations. So the premise of the one that was quoted is false to start with.

However the premise that God will save all mankind is not false.

1 Timothy 2:4 "Who will have all men saved and come to the knowledge of truth"


Of course the typical arguments are over the word "Will" which is translated various ways from the ancient greek word "Thelo"

The primary meaning of thelo is "to determine" the explanation of "Thelo" is very enlightening, because it makes a distinction that is very specific.

So I have given cause to consider Christian Universalism where there is no cause to consider the scriptural premise of some hell that is full of unimaginable terror. You can consider it or not, suit yourself.


However, I thank you for seeing and agreeing with me concerning hell.
No I do agree there is Scripture to back up the terror of eternal hell, it's been posted here MANY times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,697,919 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No I do agree there is Scripture to back up the terror of eternal hell, it's been posted here MANY times.
Posting a scripture and it actually describing the "unimaginable terror" of a place called hell is another matter.

I have however posted a scripture describing what you say wasn't described in scripture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top