Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:18 AM

23,000 posts, read 34,288,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Posting a scripture and it actually describing the "unimaginable terror" of a place called hell is another matter.

I have however posted a scripture describing what you say wasn't described in scripture
No you have posted a Scripture and described the way you want it to be.

"This is good and pleases God our Savior, for He wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth".

This does not mean ALL will be saved, because the Bible makes it VERY clear that many reject Jesus and spend eternity separated from Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:27 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,917,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

"This is good and pleases God our Savior, for He wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth".

This does not mean ALL will be saved, because the Bible makes it VERY clear that many reject Jesus and spend eternity separated from Him.

Incorrect, I pointed out the definition of the ancient greek word, you used an english translation that suits your point.

The greek definition does not agree with your point.

But you are obscuring the actual point. I said I posted something that in reality allows a consideration for all men to be saved and as I showed you, you are entitled to believe the interpretation that suits you.

If you want me to consider your point, use the ancient greek definition and try again. I'll be glad to post the very specific distinction that you can learn from that definition if you like.

There is not any scripture to cause consideration of an "unimaginable terror" in a place called hell.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:29 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,484,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

My new favorite scripture when it comes to UR types.

Matt 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Let's see how the UR types redefine the word "destroy".

Old 06-10-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Matt 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Saul of Taursus was destroyed, Paul was the result. There is no redefinition.

You can destroy a log in a fire, but you have not destroyed the energy which made up the log, you have converted it to another form of energy.

Perfect love casts out fear, in our ignorance we can be frightened by many things, this is a reminder that God prevails over it all. We can suffer loss and be destroyed into a new creation.

Of that we can learn to be in AWE. Look up the definition of Phobeo.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:41 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,480,126 times
Quote:

It is the same DESTROY here translated as LOST:

For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost. Luke 19:10

The real question is: Where is hell? The word used is the greek gehenna... A proper noun which is the Valley of Hinnom (or variations thereof) and is an actual place near Jerusalem. It used to be burning... now it is a fertile valley.. So is this the scary hell? A fertile valley?

Jesus came to save those destroyed... Be afraid of the one who is able to destroy.... BUT Jesus will save the one destroyed.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Saul of Taursus was destroyed, Paul was the result. There is no redefinition.

You can destroy a log in a fire, but you have not destroyed the energy which made up the log, you have converted it to another form of energy.

Perfect love casts out fear, in our ignorance we can be frightened by many things, this is a reminder that God prevails over it all. We can suffer loss and be destroyed into a new creation.

Of that we can learn to be in AWE. Look up the definition of Phobeo.
Words have meanings. Look up the meaning of the word destroy.

If I destroy your car, it doesn't come out all shiney. It doesn't go from being a Ford to Chevy.

Sorry, but I have problems with people who change the meanings of words to fit their doctrine.

The Bible says that those who reject Christ will not see life.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Jesus came to save those destroyed... Be afraid of the one who is able to destroy.... BUT Jesus will save the one destroyed.

Cite please.
My Bible says this:
John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him

Old 06-10-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Words have meanings. Look up the meaning of the word destroy.

If I destroy your car, it doesn't come out all shiney. It doesn't go from being a Ford to Chevy.

Sorry, but I have problems with people who change the meanings of words to fit their doctrine.

The Bible says that those who reject Christ will not see life.

I don't care what you have a problem with.

Saul of Taursus became Paul. Prove to me that Paul is not all shiny now.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,480,126 times
Quote:
Cite please.
My Bible says this:
John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him
I cited it in my post.. shall I repost?

What is eternal life? John 17 - To know God and his son....

Eternal life is not salvation it is awareness.

Define God's wrath....

The rest of my post you didn't quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj
It is the same DESTROY here translated as LOST:

For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost. Luke 19:10

The real question is: Where is hell? The word used is the greek gehenna... A proper noun which is the Valley of Hinnom (or variations thereof) and is an actual place near Jerusalem. It used to be burning... now it is a fertile valley.. So is this the scary hell? A fertile valley?
John 3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

No matter how you define world, it is the same world that he was sent into that is saved.

You will have to try not to read only the last line of a post.. I usually don't make a point without something to back it up...

Old 06-10-2010, 10:00 AM

7,708 posts, read 12,558,763 times
Great post OP. I been telling people! You only get one life. Live it wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity