U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:47 PM

4,484 posts, read 2,791,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
post II due the large content:
As Mr5150's eyes glaze over, he remembers that the last time he was presented with such a *wealth* of biblical interpreation. It was with some JWs. Same approach. The idea being that the Bible doesn't really say what you think or all of the major translations are incorrect on certain key doctrinal points.

After Mr5150's head clears, he wonders why anyone would use Greek words for an OT proof text. He thinks to himself, would not it make more sense to use the original Hebrew?

Mr5150 is less than convinced.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:49 PM

1,143 posts, read 865,581 times
PS @ Mike

concerning your links:

Wordgems - Time: Aionios

that link basically could agree with universalism:

I AM A CONVINCED UNIVERSALIST, by William Barclay

they basically agree concerning aionios, though they refer to the Platonic meaning

Quote:
We must begin by reminding ourselves of the fact which we have so often stressed, that the word aionios is the word of eternity in contrast with time, of deity in contrast with humanity, and that therefore eternal life is nothing less than the life of God himself.
this a quote from your link

Quote:
The simplest way to out it is that aionios cannot be used properly of anyone but God; it is the word uniquely, as Plato saw it, of God. Eternal punishment is then literally that kind of remedial punishment which it befits God to give and which only God can give.
from an universalist link

do you see how much they basically agree?

The Hebrew concept of time and "aionios" and "aion"

this link is opposed here:

Quote:
In this article, Eric Landstrom denounces Universalists for going to extra-biblical sources yet at the same time he wants his readers to go to extra-biblical sources concerning “aion” and “aionion.”
Notice that Eric says we who believe the truth of God saving all reach right past our Bibles to extra biblical works. Have I? Surely not. I don't need to. But if you will notice, Eric does that which he accuses us of doing! He does not want us “to base our doctrines upon the musings and words of uninspired men” while at the same time he wants you, the reader to seek out an uninspired rabbi as an extra-biblical source! You will read that below.
Aion, Concept of Time

also see the opinion from a Messianic Jew on that subject

Olam, Aeons and Eternity

and further Jewish pages

http://www.jewishroots.net/LIBRARY/Anti_Missionary_Objections/how_long_is_forever.html (broken link)

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/27_eternity.html

On the Greek words for Eternity and Eternal

Greek EIS TON AIOoNA - what does it mean?

A look at the phrase "forever and ever" | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

my letter to CARM run by Matt Slick

Quote:
After Mr5150's head clears, he wonders why anyone would use Greek words for an OT proof text. He thinks to himself, would not it make more sense to use the original Hebrew?
all biblical writers were Jews, to determine how Jews understand Greek words it is helpfull to look how they rendered Hebrew words when they translated their bible from Hebrew into Greek; Plato might have meant eternity with aion, yet a Jew might have meant an age with aion yet all traditionalists refer to Plato as you see in Mike's links

If a Jews renders something that obviously lasts for a few generations only with aionios, he could not have understood aionios to denote endlessness, do you get what I mean?

Quote:
The idea being that the Bible doesn't really say what you think or all of the major translations are incorrect on certain key doctrinal points.
universalism is taught in ALL bible translations, also the KJV, everlasting punishment NOT; if universalism is found in ALL bibles but everlasting punishment NOT, then guess which one is true?

Last edited by svenM; 06-12-2010 at 02:10 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 03:30 PM

4,484 posts, read 2,791,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
(you really need a fruit check)

Mike, NONE of us care one iota what Scofield thought. We care what the prophets and disciples and our MASTER, Yeshua, thought. We also do NOT care what tradition thinks or what supposed great theologians think!!

How many GREAT and INTELLIGENT men around the planet have been WRONG many times about MANY things!! The Pharisees were KNOWN for their study and knowledge of the scriptures, but they did NOT know God!

The same can be said for all the "great universalist" thinkers.

As for me I will just go with the Bible and not concern myself with people's opinions.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:55 PM

223 posts, read 149,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The same can be said for all the "great universalist" thinkers.

As for me I will just go with the Bible and not concern myself with people's opinions.
Mr 5150
GOOD ANSWER.
But dont forget that the ENGLISH BIBLE has been translated by several MEN and sinners too. One of them has his name written in the Bible that only a FEW can see it!! Myself and Mr PurpleHeart know who that MAN is. DJConk might know too.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:42 PM

223 posts, read 149,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The part of the body that causes one to sin is the brain. I will leave you with that thought.
YES, and do you know why the brain causes you to sin?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:44 PM

12,347 posts, read 14,147,706 times
This thread is closed...

One thing we would appreciate is if you need to quote YOUR post from another thread that is needed to explain what you are saying and providing it is not off topic just give the link..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity