U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2010, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Somewhere
6,370 posts, read 5,630,103 times
Reputation: 575

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
You better check again, because ETERNAL can mean having infinite duration or EVERLASTING. So it would be a mistake if you would believe ETERNAL must mean without beginning. Clearly the Bible tells you, (THAT THE ETERNAL FIRE WAS PREPARED,) for the Devil and his angels. Which would suggest a beginning. You can only believe what you do, if you are willing to ignore the wording of what the Scriptures clearly state.
If that is the case Cambell34 then it would have to mean the samething in both parts of that verse. So if you believe the punishment had a beginning and no end then the Life of God that we receive also had a beginning and no end.

In either of those cases it would be blasphemous teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2010, 01:22 PM
 
2,526 posts, read 2,314,231 times
Reputation: 326
ATTENTION: All ETer's -

If YOU believe in the video: 23 Minutes in Hell, I have some exceptional swamp land for sale in Alabama that I would like to sell YOU. Trust me. YOU will love it...There is a backlog of ETer's that are interested, so you'll need to hurry. I will authorize cash only deposits (if your bank funds are limited) until arriving at the swamp. Deposits are non-refundable on this exclusive Alabama offer.

Please DM me for where to send your money ...TODAY! Credit cards are always welcomed. Greenbacks and cashiers checks will receive a 5% discount. Those arriving at the swamp and waving a Confederate flag will receive a 10% discount and an original AlabamaStorm signature for each parcel purchased. The signature will testify to the swamps authenticity.

AlabamaStorm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 01:33 PM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,482,127 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is allowed because that is how it is written. We live in a time where Satan is still allowed to deceive people into sinning. He is the "ruler of this world" and will be until is is time when he is driven out (John 12:31). Of course the ultimate ruler is God, but Satan has been given authority to deceive.

The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 2 Corinthians 4:4


ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.
None of this answers the actual question of why God would allow more and more people to be consigned to an eternal hell rather than end it all now and prevent billions or trillions of future humans from going to go to hell.Saying it is because it is is no answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,031 posts, read 2,686,435 times
Reputation: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I've seen the book for sale even at pharmacies - what a great place to sell a fear-filled book (to those who are sick!). Never read it. But the funny thing is that as the legend usually goes... once a person enters hell they can never leave. But supposedly this guy spent an odd 23 minutes there and then was able to get out of hell. I wonder, was he wearing a watch while he was in hell - or did he set a timer before departing?

Heartsong
If you read the book you would know why it's called 23 minutes in hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,389,248 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is allowed because that is how it is written. We live in a time where Satan is still allowed to deceive people into sinning. He is the "ruler of this world" and will be until is is time when he is driven out (John 12:31). Of course the ultimate ruler is God, but Satan has been given authority to deceive.

The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 2 Corinthians 4:4


ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.
So then satan and Jesus are both given the authority on earth ? and Jesus wins right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 01:56 PM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,482,127 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
If you read the book you would know why it's called 23 minutes in hell.
They admit they have only seen the book for sale.Why then the need to be snarky?

*shaking my head at the need of the ET's to be so mean spirited toward innocent questions*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,494 posts, read 31,888,415 times
Reputation: 9411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
None of this answers the actual question of why God would allow more and more people to be consigned to an eternal hell rather than end it all now and prevent billions or trillions of future humans from going to go to hell.Saying it is because it is is no answer.
Yes, it answers the question, it is just that you don't like the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 02:11 PM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,482,127 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, it answers the question, it is just that you don't like the answer.

Sorry,but no.Your answer is that it is that way because God wants it that way.My question was,WHY would God want it that way.You in no way tried to answer that.But that is alright,I didn't really expect you to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 03:13 PM
 
731 posts, read 1,316,479 times
Reputation: 669
I believe many people take the Bible too literally. Faith is not really black and white and while my interpretation may not be anothers, that doesn't mean either person is correct.

Speaking of the ten commandments and making an example from the previous posts:
Sin was forbidden in the beginning, if God made sin, he did not, in the beginning, equip man with that knowledge. God made man with free will, because free will or freedom of thought is good not evil. However; once sin was discovered through free will, the concept of good vs evil entered mans life.

Thou shalt not steal. You have a choice, (1) do not steal because it is a free will choice and because it is a sin and forbidden by God (2) or Steal because it is your choice by free will whether it is sinful or not. What will you do? What makes you embrace your specific choice?

Chrisitanity is based on faith, not all questions can be answered. We do not know everything that took place in ancient history and no one person has the answers.

Personally, I believe that we will never know the answers to the questions that have been posed in this thread, if we did we would know everything and be omniscient. All things considered-- creationism, evolution, aliens and so forth. I will just leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2010, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,494 posts, read 31,888,415 times
Reputation: 9411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
You in no way tried to answer that
If you say so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top