Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:53 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,178,910 times

Advertisements

I was told I might want to start a new thread on torment. So, here it is. I know we have talked about this a million times, but I guess people still don't get it.

WHO is the everlasting fire?

WHO is tormented in it?

WHAT is the LOF or Lake of Fire?

What is it's purpose?

Deuteronomy 4:24 "For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

Deuteronomy 9:3 "Know therefore today that it is the LORD your God who is crossing over before you as a consuming fire.

Hebrews 12:29: For our God is a consuming fire.

Isaiah 33:14 Sinners in Zion are terrified; Trembling has seized the godless. "Who among us can live with the consuming fire? Who among us can live with continual burning?"

2 Thessalonians 1:7 and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire,

Last edited by herefornow; 06-18-2010 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:23 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,147,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I was told I might want to start a new thread on torment. So, here it is. I know we have talked about this a million times, but I guess people still don't get it.

WHO is tormented in it?
What is it's purpose?
Deuteronomy 4:24 "For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.\
Deuteronomy 9:3 "Know therefore today that it is the LORD your God who is crossing over before you as a consuming fire.
Isaiah 33:14 Sinners in Zion are terrified; Trembling has seized the godless. "Who among us can live with the consuming fire? Who among us can live with continual burning?"
2 Thessalonians 1:7 and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire,
If anyone has ever received God's Divine Love in their souls, then they will know what the burning fire is... it is God's Divine Essence. I have had many experiences of this burning fire of love, as have people I know who are also receiving it.

And by the way, our Heavenly Father is never jealous.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
If anyone has ever received God's Divine Love in their souls, then they will know what the burning fire is... it is God's Divine Essence. I have had many experiences of this burning fire of love, as have people I know who are also receiving it.

And by the way, our Heavenly Father is never jealous.
Anything that is corrupt will be tormented by this LOVE.

God's "jealousy" comes from LOVE.

Just like a groom would be jealous over his wife and not want her to wander around cheating and hurting herself, God is "jealous" of his children when they wander around this planet hurting themselves and others. He wants them to DO what he says. It keeps them from getting hurt and entangled in darkness.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:10 PM

823 posts, read 1,392,987 times
God's Love is a Consuming Fire......one of my favourites.

YouTube - Consuming Fire - Hillsong United/Tim Hughes

There must be more than this,
O breath of God come breathe within,
Spirit of God we wait for You.

Fill us anew we pray,
Fill us anew we pray.

(Chorus)
Consuming fire fan into flame,
A passion for Your Name,
Spirit of God fall in this place,
Lord have Your way,
Lord have Your way with us,

Come like a rushing wind,
Clothe us with power from on high,
Now set the captives free,
Leave us abandoned to Your praise.

Lord let Your glory fall,
Lord let Your glory fall.

Stir it up in our hearts Lord,
A passion for Your Name.

Once the fire is burning and his Love fills your soul I believe the flame can never be extinguished God's Love is a burning flame inside our souls......

Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
God's Love is a Consuming Fire......one of my favourites.

YouTube - Consuming Fire - Hillsong United/Tim Hughes

O breath of God come breathe within,
Spirit of God we wait for You.

Fill us anew we pray,
Fill us anew we pray.

(Chorus)
Consuming fire fan into flame,
A passion for Your Name,
Spirit of God fall in this place,
Lord have Your way
Lord have Your way with us,

Come like a rushing wind,
Clothe us with power from on high,
Now set the captives free,
Leave us abandoned to Your praise.

Lord let Your glory fall,
Lord let Your glory fall.

A passion for Your Name.

Once the fire is burning and his Love fills your soul I believe the flame can
never be extinguished God's Love is a burning flame inside our souls......
Thanks for the song, SisterKat!

I suppose it's kind of hard to go back into evil once you know how much it hurts. True, supernatural love doesn't hurt.

The darkness can't hide people in chains from a love that NEVER gives
up! The darkness just doesn't have that kind of energy or motivation; not the kind that keeps love fired up.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 PM

32,967 posts, read 26,205,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post

WHO is tormented in it?

What is it's purpose?

Deuteronomy 4:24 "For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

'Our God is a consuming fire' is a term reserved for judgment. It refers to the strictness of His justice and the purity of His holiness.

In Deut. 9:3, it is used with regard to the promise that God would go before Israel to clear out the land that the Israelites would soon possess. God would do this as a consumng fire. ''Know therefore today that it is the LORD your God who is crossing over before you as a consuming fire. He will destroy them and He will subdue them before you, so that you may drive them out and destroy them quickly, just as the LORD has spoken to you. God as a consuming fire refers to destruction.

Malachi 4:1 states the following. ''For behold, the day is coming, burning like a furnace; and all the arrogant and every evildoer will be chaff; and the day that is coming will set them ablaze,'' says the LORD of hosts, ''so that it will leave them neither root nor branch.'' This passage is referring to physical death. Not the state of the soul after death.

2 Thess 1:7 ...when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire; [8] dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. [9] And these will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, This passage is clear that those who do not obey the Gospel, that is those who do not believe the Gospel, those who do not know God, will pay the penalty of eternal destruction away from the presence of the Lord. They will have no relationship with the Lord.

The eternal fire is not a who. The eternal fire described in Matthew 25:41 is a fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels, and into which the accursed ones (unbelievers) are ordered by Jesus Christ Himself. [46] And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.'' The contrast in the passage is between those who are ordered by Christ into the eternal fire and the resulting eternal punishment, and those who go into eternal life.

The lake of fire is described in Revelation 20:11-15. Asking what it is and what it's for is a needless question. Simply read the passage.

It is perfectly clear in the Scriptures that those who die without Christ are eternally lost.

Last edited by Michael Way; 06-19-2010 at 12:47 AM..

Old 06-19-2010, 12:35 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,216,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

It is perfectly clear in the Scriptures that those who die without Christ are etenally lost.
Are we reading a different Bible than them or something? I don't understand how anyone can completely dismiss the countless verses. It truly boggles my mind. I just don't get it.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 AM

32,967 posts, read 26,205,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Are we reading a different Bible than them or something? I don't understand how anyone can completely dismiss the countless verses. It truly boggles my mind. I just don't get it.
It is difficult to understand how they can so completely delude themselves with their fantasy beliefs. Many people just don't have the guts to face the reality of the eternal separation from God that awaits those who reject Christ, and desperately hold onto their own arrogant notions of who and what God really is. Satan of course has his cosmic doctrines in place to help delude those who have first turned their nose up at the truth. These people simply prefer to make God into their image of who and what they think He should be and reject God as He really is. Satan deceives the world and there are plenty of suckers waiting to be deceived.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:42 AM

5,965 posts, read 6,991,937 times
Psalm 18:26
With the pure you will show yourself pure; and with the fraudulent you will show yourself devious.

To those whose eyes are not pure - God is not perceived as pure.

Beloved, we are God's children now, it does not yet appear what we shall be, but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. And every one who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure. {1 Jn 3:2-3 RSV}

There are scales that need to fall from eyes and veils that need removing (Christ opens and closes His Word to whom he will). We each have a certain image of God emblazoned on our hearts and minds and that determines how we act and react. I can remember when I was quite blind! And there was nothing I could do about it either! Christ held the keys of death and hell and until it was his will, I was "outside" and could not "hear" what the Spirit was saying.

Clearly, we read in Revelation that it is Christ alone who opens the seals - no one else is worthy to open them. Outside is weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:03 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,489,571 times

YouTube - I Can Only Imagine (with lyrics) - MercyMe

Love this song!

The fact is that all knees will bow. So God's fire produces GOOD things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity