U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 11:07 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,720,741 times

Advertisements

In light of Ted Haggard announcing he will be starting a new church AND also claiming he has been cured of his homosexuality or his temporary deviation from god’s true design or something to that effect, I am left to wonder about something. I realize that not ALL Christians on here have issues with gay people. They are as accepting of them as being Christians as any other Christian. Of course, there are those who cannot see how the associated name “Christian” and “gay” can be in the same sentence believing these are contradictions in terms.

For those who do NOT believe a gay person can be a “true” Christian and needs to be “cleansed,” “healed,” “cured” or whatever, would you take them serious if they just up and claimed they are no longer homosexual because Jesus healed them? If indeed “old things are passed away and behold, all things have become new,” would you trust your child around them (considering the fears some people have)? Would you start to feel comfortable hanging out with them and being seen with them? In other words, considering the life of faith you live, would you REALLY believe that Jesus has “fixed” this person to make them “normal” enough in your eyes to feel okay with them and be around them? If you don’t, what does it say about your own faith in the conviction that Jesus truly changes people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:46 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,758,453 times
LOL...when I saw the thread title and the word "fixed" I immediately thought of him being neutered.....cause that's the ONLY way he's gonna be "fixed"!! What a joke.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
LOL...when I saw the thread title and the word "fixed" I immediately thought of him being neutered.....cause that's the ONLY way he's gonna be "fixed"!! What a joke.
He's a joke???

Old 06-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
He's a joke???
Yeah, he's a joke. Guess I should made that more clear. Instead of lying about his "reformation" he should try starting a church as who he is.....a gay man who happens to be a preacher. Don't know that he would have many followers but at least he would be true to himself and everyone else. If he wants to try and live as a heterosexual that's fine, but it's not who he is obviously. His wife must be some kind of saint.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah, he's a joke. Guess I should made that more clear. Instead of lying about his "reformation" he should try starting a church as who he is.....a gay man who happens to be a preacher. Don't know that he would have many followers but at least he would be true to himself and everyone else. If he wants to try and live as a heterosexual that's fine, but it's not who he is obviously. His wife must be some kind of saint.
Oh ok.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:20 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,965,312 times
Quote:
In light of Ted Haggard announcing he will be starting a new church AND also claiming he has been cured of his homosexuality or his temporary deviation from god’s true design or something to that effect, I am left to wonder about something. I realize that not ALL Christians on here have issues with gay people. They are as accepting of them as being Christians as any other Christian. Of course, there are those who cannot see how the associated name “Christian” and “gay” can be in the same sentence believing these are contradictions in terms.

For those who do NOT believe a gay person can be a “true” Christian and needs to be “cleansed,” “healed,” “cured” or whatever, would you take them serious if they just up and claimed they are no longer homosexual because Jesus healed them? If indeed “old things are passed away and behold, all things have become new,” would you trust your child around them (considering the fears some people have)? Would you start to feel comfortable hanging out with them and being seen with them? In other words, considering the life of faith you live, would you REALLY believe that Jesus has “fixed” this person to make them “normal” enough in your eyes to feel okay with them and be around them? If you don’t, what does it say about your own faith in the conviction that Jesus truly changes people?
I don't know much about the guy, other than 10 second sound bites.

But from what i do know,

It's not his private desires that disturb me as much as his hypocracy

Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I don't know much about the guy, other than 10 second sound bites.

But from what i do know,

It's not his private desires that disturb me as much as his hypocracy
Yeah, me too!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 01:48 PM

6,234 posts, read 9,530,466 times
Quote:

Honestly, I try to refrain from talking about any kind of Gay issues because it is a very heated debate and I don't want to be seen as hateful. But one thing I must say is that this Ted Haggard man is out of his mind if he now wants to start a new church right after his homosexual "cleansing" or what they call it. His battle is not over. I'm not saying that I agree with it, but I have a hard time believing he is completely hetereo now. He still has major temptations and lusts to overcome. He is not ready spiritually to begin a church! And he certainly is not in the position or has the qualifications to be a pastor!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Honestly, I try to refrain from talking about any kind of Gay issues because it is a very heated debate and I don't want to be seen as hateful. But one thing I must say is that this Ted Haggard man is out of his mind if he now wants to start a new church right after his homosexual "cleansing" or what they call it. His battle is not over. I'm not saying that I agree with it, but I have a hard time believing he is completely hetereo now. He still has major temptations and lusts to overcome. He is not ready spiritually to begin a church! And he certainly is not in the position or has the qualifications to be a pastor!
Which leads to the question: When WILL he be ready in your estimation? Isn't he claiming that Jesus has delivered him, the same Jesus often promoted by Christians as the one who can make dramatic changes in a person's life, in some cases, instantaneously? This is why I was wondering if [some] Christians just talk ("Jesus can save you from ANYTHING") but prefer to pick and choose what they REALLY believe he can save/cleanse people from.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:45 AM

24,764 posts, read 26,865,082 times
Quote:
Well said. Although I think maybe his wife might enjoy playing the martyr??? Just a guess on my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or