U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2014, 02:14 PM
 
16,062 posts, read 9,234,697 times
Reputation: 7156

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Richard.. Do you believe, God the Almighty, does not comprehend every language, He is addressed in? In Jesus name? Whether Yeshua or Joshua of Lesous? Or because of Jesus and his words. We call upon our Heavenly Father as to declare we are Joint heirs with and through Christ? Or Jehovah, or Yahweh? Jesus declared the way for us and no Church should be ashamed of how language translations handed down Transliterations of words down to us. But Richard one group infers God The Almighty or The Son, by Holy Spirit ? Cannot read our hearts intent and humility?
This is a good point as God did not have all the Scriptures written in Hebrew and even in Israel there were different pronunciations of words. Once Aramaic was incorporated we had more variations in pronunciation and ... God does not care. Now NOT using His name is different as we find a lot about that little problem in the book of Ezekiel.

Cornelius that Peter went to, probably prayed in Greek or Latin, not Hebrew as we all tend to pray in our native language. Knowing and using God's name is important. Does that require using it all the time, nope as we can also call him Father, God, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2014, 02:19 PM
 
16,062 posts, read 9,234,697 times
Reputation: 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I have been to and lived many places in the world, my name is Richard anywhere I went...It was Riccardo in Italy or Spain...It was not Richard (Reeshar) in France or Canada...It was not Richard (Rikhart) in Germany...It was what I was named...It does not change...So why should G-d's Name be changed due to language?...Or Yeshua's Name for that matter?...
Well an Italian speaking to another Italian will use the Italian version of my name, not the English, just as we say "Paul" not "Paulos". There is no directive in scripture to hold to any particular Hebrew Pronunciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2014, 06:18 AM
 
Location: US
26,248 posts, read 13,915,192 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Well an Italian speaking to another Italian will use the Italian version of my name, not the English, just as we say "Paul" not "Paulos". There is no directive in scripture to hold to any particular Hebrew Pronunciation.
Well, I respect people enough to use the name their parents bestowed upon them, unless they tell me otherwise...How many Americans do you know that have their children cultural names such as Antonio or Maria?...Do you just take it upon yourself to Anglisize their names because their in America and we speak English and call them Anthony or Mary?...Do you call black, white and white, black?...A personal name does not change according to where you go...When I was young I asked a neighbor of my grandparents, who were from Germany, what my name would be if I moved to Germany, he told me that it would be the same because that is what I was named at birth, Richard...I asked the same question of a Chinese friend of mine regarding living in China, he told me it would be Richard, because that is my name...Even when I lived in Germany, everyone called me Richard, even when speaking about me to another German...Same thing where ever I went...So, when G-d introduced Himself to the Hebrews by His own Name and the Hebrews introduced Him to the world, it was always the same Name...Just as Muslims name Him Allah, it is Allah in English and Allah in any other language as well, it is not translated...The identity of an individual is not translated as with abstract words...Just call me "Powerful King", because that is what Richard means in English...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2014, 06:23 AM
 
Location: US
26,248 posts, read 13,915,192 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This is a good point as God did not have all the Scriptures written in Hebrew and even in Israel there were different pronunciations of words. Once Aramaic was incorporated we had more variations in pronunciation and ... God does not care. Now NOT using His name is different as we find a lot about that little problem in the book of Ezekiel.

Cornelius that Peter went to, probably prayed in Greek or Latin, not Hebrew as we all tend to pray in our native language. Knowing and using God's name is important. Does that require using it all the time, nope as we can also call him Father, God, etc.
How do you know that G-d does not care?...He seemed to make a big deal of using His Name vainly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2014, 06:32 AM
 
Location: US
26,248 posts, read 13,915,192 times
Reputation: 1591
Answer Edited explanation: Yahweh + Adonai = Jehovah. It is not in the Bible. Ever. Adonai means "the Lord". The word "yahweh" is the third person form of "hayah" and means "he is" or "he will be". Moses asked God who he should tell the Israelites sent him, and God replied, "I am who I am" (1st person), then, "Tell them 'I am has sent you' " (3rd person). Some people don't say "Yahweh" because they feel it is too holy. Jehovah, however, is a concocted word that references God and is free to be used by all. The name Jehovah is the English form of the divine name found in the ancient manuscripts of the biblical text.
In the ancient Hebrew language, the name appears as four consonants, which tranliterate into English as "YHWH" or the English equivalent "JHVH."
In Hebrew writing, vowels were not used, so the reader supplied the vowels as he read the text. That is why the divine name of GOD appeared as only four consonants.
Today, we do not know exactly how the pronunciation was in the original Hebrew language, but many feel that "Yahweh" is perhaps how it may have sounded in Hebrew, with the vowels added. The English equivalent that is most widely accepted is "Jehovah," but this is of dubious origin. Rather, "Jehovah" is an unusual, and Western, mystico-combo-word with Catholic origins from the year 1270. Hebrew had no vowels. This was unsatisfactory to those who wanted to pronounce the unpronouncable name of God. Their solution? By combining the vowel signs of 'Adho.nay and 'Elo.him' with the four consonants of the Tetragrammaton the pronunciations Yeho.wah' and Yehowih' were formed. The first of these provided the basis for the Latinized form "Jehova(h)." The first recorded use of this form dates from the thirteenth century C.E. Raymundus Martini, a Spanish monk of the Dominican Order, used it in his book Pugeo Fidei of the year 1270. As such, the form "Jehovah" is of late medieval origin; it is a combination of the consonants of the Divine Name and the vowels attached to it by the Masoretes but belonging to an entirely different word. -http://www.answers.com/Q/Where_did_the_name_Jehovah_come_from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2014, 10:26 AM
 
16,062 posts, read 9,234,697 times
Reputation: 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
How do you know that G-d does not care?...He seemed to make a big deal of using His Name vainly...
Proper pronunciation in a any language or all languages for that matter, is not using it in vain, Thus a "vain" argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2014, 12:46 PM
 
Location: US
26,248 posts, read 13,915,192 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Nice try, but how about addressing all the Hebrew names with God's name as part of them? They all have Yeho/Jeho.

As to Yahweh I have no major problem except .... it is a two vowel word and God's name is three (The final vowel being silent). AND in Hebrew an "H" in the middle always carries a vowel, so Yah-weh can't be correct.

Again why do we call Paul that instead of "Paulos"?

The other points I addressed and you did not respond.
Can't stand to be proved wrong, huh?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2014, 01:46 PM
 
16,062 posts, read 9,234,697 times
Reputation: 7156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Can't stand to be proved wrong, huh?...
don't know as I haven't been proved wrong yet, just read your assertions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2014, 07:22 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,310,375 times
Reputation: 1483
GREAT RICHARD. Thank the Church for revealing for your Group THE USE AND MEANING OF JEHOVAH. AGAIN. THROUGH THE CHURCH YOUR TRUTH CAME and why a perhaps more accurate YAHWEH is valid today. But RICHARD. You do realize. Long before Christianity. The sacred name was lost. We were left with the remnant YHWH. To merely add vowels , is still MANS REASONINGS. Perhaps God surely knew Giving us His Sent Son to come and Sent Holy Spirit upon man. Was on a new Covenant, going to give man through Christ. A CLOSER RELATIONSHIP TO GOD OUR FATHER. THEREFORE WHY CHRIST TAUGHT, IN HIM WE CAN BECOME WORTHY TO DECLARE. OUR FATHER ALSO AS JOIN HEIRS IN CHRIST, who prepared our way and PAID OUR RANSOME. We do declare worthiness in Christ RICHARD IN CHURCHES. We do not apologize to declare saying OUR FATHER IS OUR CHRIST GIVEN DECLARATION. RICHARD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2014, 08:12 AM
 
Location: US
26,248 posts, read 13,915,192 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
GREAT RICHARD. Thank the Church for revealing for your Group THE USE AND MEANING OF JEHOVAH. AGAIN. THROUGH THE CHURCH YOUR TRUTH CAME and why a perhaps more accurate YAHWEH is valid today. But RICHARD. You do realize. Long before Christianity. The sacred name was lost. We were left with the remnant YHWH. To merely add vowels , is still MANS REASONINGS. Perhaps God surely knew Giving us His Sent Son to come and Sent Holy Spirit upon man. Was on a new Covenant, going to give man through Christ. A CLOSER RELATIONSHIP TO GOD OUR FATHER. THEREFORE WHY CHRIST TAUGHT, IN HIM WE CAN BECOME WORTHY TO DECLARE. OUR FATHER ALSO AS JOIN HEIRS IN CHRIST, who prepared our way and PAID OUR RANSOME. We do declare worthiness in Christ RICHARD IN CHURCHES. We do not apologize to declare saying OUR FATHER IS OUR CHRIST GIVEN DECLARATION. RICHARD.
What in the world is your point???...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top