Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 AM

910 posts, read 1,338,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composer View Post
The Jewish Encyclopaedia contains a large article on the subject, of which I shall only present a brief summary:

JEHOVAH

A mispronunciation (introduced by Christian theologians, but almost entirely disregarded by the Jews) of the Hebrew 'Yhwh,' the (ineffable) name of God (the Tetragrammaton or 'Shem ha-Meforash'). This pronunciation is grammatically impossible; it arose through pronouncing the vowels of the "?ere" (marginal reading of the Masorites: = 'Adonay') with the consonants of the 'ketib' (text-reading: = 'Yhwh')—'Adonay' (the Lord) being substituted with one exception wherever Yhwh occurs in the Biblical and liturgical books.

<...>

'Jehovah' is generally held to have been the invention of Pope Leo X.'s confessor, Peter Galatin ('De Arcanis Catholicæ Veritatis,' 1518, folio xliii.), who was followed in the use of this hybrid form by Fagius (= Büchlein, 1504-49). Drusius (= Van der Driesche, 1550-1616) was the first to ascribe to Peter Galatin the use of 'Jehovah,' and this view has been taken since his days (comp. Hastings, "Dict. Bible,' ii. 199, s.v. 'God'; Gesenius-Buhl, 'Handwörterb.' 1899, p. 311; see Drusius on the tetragrammaton in his "Critici Sacri, i. 2, col. 344). But it seems that even before Galatin the name 'Jehovah' had been in common use (see Drusius, l.c. notes to col. 351). It is found in Raymond Martin's 'Pugio Fidei.' written in 1270 (Paris, 1651, iii., pt. ii., ch. 3, p. 448; comp. T. Prat in 'Dictionnaire de la Bible,' s.v.). See also Names of God."

The only accurate pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton is Yahveh (sometimes spelt Yahweh), and the misnomer "Jehovah" is considered unsuitable because it is (a) grammatically impossible, and (b) just plain wrong.

&

Adonai Yahweh El Shaddai

Lord Yahweh God Almighty. For many years it was appropriate to say: "Well, we don't really know the correct and proper Name of God, as it has been lost, and we definitely don't know how to pronounce it." That is not true today, due to archeological finds, the Dead Sea Scrolls, and a better concept of history, and understanding of scripture and the Hebrew language. The Jews, also, are more open in admitting why the Masoretes hid the Name of God, a Name too sacred -- they believed -- for even Jews to pronounce, let alone heathen dogs. When you combine the Tetragrammaton with the vowels of "Adonai," you get a name "that cannot be pronounced!" Not because it is too holy, but because it is literally impossible to pronounce (in English it has been transliterated as "Jehovah").

Even today, Jews consider it perfectly appropriate to say and write the Name "Jehovah," as it is not considered the sacred pronounciation. Let me repeat: Jehovah is not the Name of God and it has never been. It is very improper to employ, say and/or pray Jehovah, because it is a distinctly, purposeful mispronounciation of God's Name -- it is saying God's name incorrectly, and saying it incorrectly on purpose (it is purposefully breaking both the Third Commandment, and the Ninth). Granted, when most people today employ the name Jehovah, they are not intentionally mispronouncing God's holy Name, but feel they are using it correctly, and pleasingly to God; however, the fact is, you cannot change God's Name by a popular vote of lowly humans.

Many great men and women of God have, through the tradition of men, mistakenly used the name Jehovah and held it in great esteem. This does not mean that these great men and women of God were bad people, only ignorant of the Truth. When you learn that your tradition is man-made and wrong, you repent and follow God to the best of your ability.

Even when saying the Tetragrammaton, "YHWH," the very Name of God is breathed, and with great power it is pronounced correctly. Yahweh. It is true, when we meet God face to Face, and speak to Him in a new language, with a new name, and a new body and spirit, we will perhaps only then pronounce His Name as He says it, properly, but then again perhaps the Name of Yahweh will always be beyond mere humans, even in a perfected state.

In English, we know the best Name is Yahweh.
In the most ancient Old Testament manuscripts, God's True Name is depicted as the Tetragrammaton, the four letters: "YHWH." You can still find these four letters in interlinear versions of the King James Version, or in Strong's. In the KJV, every time LORD is printed (in all captial letters, it is YHWH, Yahweh), you are witnessing the remnant of God's Name, hidden before your very eyes.

What follows is a compilation of varied sources on the true Name of God, Yahweh.

Chaim Potok, Author of "The Chosen" and Translator of the JPS TANAKH:
The king of Salem, we are told, was also a priest of El Elyon, God Most High, whom we know to have been the chief god of the Canaanites. "Blessed be Abram of God Most High," says the king-priest of Salem. Israelite tradition recorded Abraham as responding in the name of his own God. "I swear to YHWH" -- possibly pronounced Yahweh, not Jehovah, and never spoken by devout Jews -- "God Most High." (Wanderings, Chaim Potok's History of the Jews, Page 31)

Complete Jewish Bible

The English word "Jehovah" is an English representation of the Name (J-H-V-H) combined with the vowel sounds of "Adonai," a hybrid word without historical foundation. Most English translations represent the Name by "LORD," written as it is here, in large and small capital letters. "Complete Jewish Bible" an English Version by David H. Stern.

Bible Review August 2003
Bernhard Lang, Pages 49-54
...within the Biblical era the Name Yahweh came to be considered a particularly sacred name, one that should be used with caution or not at all. When and by whom a sacred taboo was placed on the Name Yahweh to restrict its pronunciation remains unknown. In modern Judaism, the Name Yahweh is not spoken. Presumably when scriptural passages were read aloud in ancient synagogues, the reader simply replaced Yahweh with Adonai (literally, "My Lord") or some other word. In the second century B.C.E., when the Pentateuch was translated from Hebrew into Greek for the Greek-speaking Jewish community of Alexandria, the divine Name Yahweh was replaced by kyrios, the Greek word for "the Lord."
In the Hebrew Bible we can detect some awareness of this taboo. The Name Yahweh was apparently deleted from many passages in Psalms 42 through 83 at a very early stage and replaced with Elohim (in Psalms 42-83, Elohim occurs more than four times as often as Yahweh, whereas in the rest of Psalms, Yahweh is used 20 times more often than Elohim).

New Jerusalem Bible
Yahweh - The personal name of God revealed to Moses, and treasured as a sign of intimacy and favour. The later Jews regarded it as too sacred to be pronounced; only the consonants YHWH were written. The meaning "I Am what I Am" or "He Who Is" is perhaps a refusal to give a meaning; or it may suggest that God is the cause of being. Exodus 3:13; 34:6.

Adam Clarke Bible Commentary
Genesis 2:4
[In the day that the Lord God made, the earth and the heavens,] The word Yahweh (heb 3068) is for the first time mentioned here. What it signifies see at <Exo. 34:5-6>. Wherever this word occurs in the sacred writings we translate it "LORD", Which word is, through respect and reverence, always printed in capitals. Though our English term "Lord" does not give the particular meaning of the original word, yet it conveys a strong and noble sense. "Lord" is a contraction of the Anglo-Saxon Hlaford, afterward written Loverd, and lastly Lord, from hlaf, "bread"; hence, our word "loaf," and ford, "to supply, to give out." The word, therefore, implies "the giver of bread," i. e., he who deals out all the necessaries of life. Our ancient English noblemen were accustomed to keep a continual open house, where all their vassals, and all strangers, had full liberty to enter and eat as much as they would and hence, those noblemen had the honourable name of lords, i. e., the dispensers of bread.
And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations. Exodus 3:15
[This is my name for ever] The name here referred to is that which immediately precedes, Yahweh (heb 3068) 'Elohiym (heb 430), which we translate the "LORD GOD," the name by which God had been known from the creation of the world (see <Gen. 2:4>), and the name by which he is known among the same people to the present day. Even the heathens knew this name of the true God; and hence, out of our "Yahweh" (heb 3068), Jehovah, they formed their Jao, Jeve, and Jove; so that the word has been literally fulfilled, This is my memorial unto all generations. See the note on the word "Elohim", <Gen. 1:1>. As to be self-existent and eternal must be attributes of God forever, does it not follow that the lª`olaam (heb 5769), forever, in the text signifies eternity' "This is my name to eternity-- and my memorial," lªdor (heb 1755) dor (heb 1755), "to all succeeding generations." While human generations continue he shall be called the God of Abraham the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob; but when time shall be no more, he shall be Jehovah Elohim. Hence, the first expression refers to his eternal existence, the latter to the discovery he should make of himself as long as time should last. See <Gen. 21:33>. Diodorus Siculus says, that "among the Jews, Moses is reported to have received his laws from the God named Jao, Iaoo, i. e., Jeue, Jove, or Jeve; for in all these ways the word Yahweh (heb 3068) may be pronounced; and in this way I have seen it on Egyptian monuments. See Diod., lib. l., c. xciv.

Information Garnished from Yahweh's New Covenant Assembly(www.ynca.com):
"Strictly speaking, this ought to be rendered 'Yahweh,' which is familiar to modern readers in the erroneous form of 'Jehovah.' Were this a version intended for students of the original, there would be no hesitation whatever in printing 'Yahweh.'" (James Moffet's preface to his translation of the Bible)

#improper - The Jehovah's Witnesses acknowledge that the name "Jehovah" is improper. Their book, "Let Your Name Be Sanctified" freely admits on pages 16 and 18 that Yahweh is the superior translation of the Tetragrammaton (YHWH). This book has lately been withdrawn. However, in the preface of their "The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures," we find on page 23 the following admission:

"While inclining to view the pronunciation 'Yahweh' as the more correct way, we have retained the form 'Jehovah' because of people's familiarity with it since the 14th century. Moreover, it preserves equally with other forms, the four letters of the Tetragrammaton JHVH."

Dr. J. B. Rotherham states in the preface of his Bible concerning Jehovah: "Erroneously written and pronounced Jehovah, which is merely a combination of the sacred Tetragrammaton and the vowels in the Hebrew word for Lord, substituted by the Jews for JHVH, because they shrank from pronouncing The Name, owing to an old misconception of the two passages, Ex. 20:7 and Lev. 24:16...To give the name JHVH the vowels of the word for Lord [Heb. Adonai], is about as hybrid a combination as it would be to spell the name Germany with the vowels in the name Portugal - viz., Gormuna. The monstrous combination Jehovah is not older than about 1520 A.D."
Rotherham was ahead of his time, but now many current dictionaries and encyclopedias admit the name Jehovah is wrong, that it properly should read "Yahweh."

The Encyclopaedia Britannica (Micropedia, vol. 10) says: "Yahweh -- the personal name of the [El] of the Israelites ...The Masoretes, Jewish biblical scholars of the Middle Ages, replaced the vowel signs that had appeared above or beneath the consonants of YHWH with the vowel signs of Adonai or of Elohim. Thus the artificial name Jehovah (YeHoWaH) came into being. Although Christian scholars after the Renaissance and Reformation periods used the term Jehovah for YHWH, in the 19th and 20th centuries biblical scholars again began to use the form Yahweh, thus this pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton was never really lost. Greek transcriptions also indicate that YHWH should be pronounced Yahweh."

The J.w's are notorious for using the corrupt term Jehovah and they even admit it! (See My Ref: #improper, shown above)
Why dont we call him the name the Christ of God called him- Father? Why complicate our lives. YHWH is a jewish language from the old testament, when men did not know God because Christ had not yet revealed him. Now that Christ has revealed him, why have we not used the testimony of Christ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,961,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
Why dont we call him the name the Christ of God called him- Father? Why complicate our lives. YHWH is a jewish language from the old testament, when men did not know God because Christ had not yet revealed him. Now that Christ has revealed him, why have we not used the testimony of Christ?
The word father means: life giver. Father is a title not a proper name.
Jesus said his Father's name [ Not Jesus' name ] would be hallowed, sacred, sanctified

What did Jesus say at John 17 verses 6 and 26 but that he would make his Father's name manifest and declared.

The Tetragrammaton [YHWH ] is not a title but a proper name.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,510 times
Default To my dear friend and brother of condense truth

We uncover so much truth that our fore father's did not want to deal with.Everyone just seems to go the way of the water sort of speak.I just see an arising of truth."Spiritual Awareness"those truly called to bring forth truth with light and love.God Bless.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:24 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,130 times
Quote:
I need to clarify again.

Jehovah = Angel

Jehova God = God Almighty

Because in the old testament, people were kinda blind, they called Angels Lord, God etc. If you read Acts, Stephen before he died clarified that Moses got the law from an Angel, not God, which the old testament stated. We are in an era of knowledge now. All things are known. Jehova is also known. God has also been revealed to us by Christ as the Father. Whoose testimony will you believe? Why did Christ not call him Jehova?
The name of God is revealed to those that are given to the son of man, those who keep His word.

"If the son frees you, you shall truly be free."

John 17:6 NRSA
"I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word."

Old 09-11-2014, 02:44 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,916,882 times
Quote:
I have often seen Christian's assume that the Almighty's name is Jehovah. Well I have a shocker for you, Jehovah is an angel of God and not God. Let me show you why:

After Adam and Eve sinned and were expelled from the garden, the Almighty God, who was physically present in the Garden transmutted to a spiritual existence and became separated from man. All that happened till Christ came were the Almighty working through representatives who were called God, Lord etc in the old testament. Our Lord Jesus Christ needed to come to make that sacrifice to get man reconcilled again to God. With the reconcilliation, God could now dwell with man and live inside man. whose witness will you believe? Jesus or Moses? Well, I'll stick with Jesus. He called God Almighty the Father. That is his name, since he created all. Its funny when we give God any other name. You can only name what you born. You cannot name a phenomenon greater than you, or can you? Hear Christ Mathew 4

23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Christ always reffered to God as the Father. How come some people call him Jehovah? Did Crist ever use that term? Lets examine Jehova's testimony himself to Moses.

Exodus 6

2 And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the Lord: 3 and I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Here was God(?) telling Moses that he appeared to his fathers by the name of God Almighty (?) but by his own name Jehova was he not known to them? The above interpretation is wrong.

God Almigty cannot be telling someone that he appeared to the fathers by his (God Almighty's) own name. The correct inference here is that the angel Jehovah was confirming to Moses that he appeared to his fathers by the name of God Almighty but by his own (Jehovah's) name was he not known to them. Basically angel Jehova is making known to Moses his own name, which he did not make known to his fathers.

Jesus confirmed that no man had seen God except him and he also said that all that came before him were thievs and murderers. Moses, David etc were all murderes. I can't imagine the Holy one, staying on one with him! No way!

John 17:1-6--John 17:26--Hallowed be thy name( YHWH(Jehovah)----- The tetragramoton( YHWH) belongs in every place in the ot where--GOD--LORD are. Nearly 6800 times, like at Psalm 83:18) Men removed Gods name--They had 0 right. God put it there because he wants it there, he wants his name known. At John 17:26---Jesus promises to keep making his name known, and he does---through his real teachers.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
John 17:1-6--John 17:26--Hallowed be thy name( YHWH(Jehovah)----- The tetragramoton( YHWH) belongs in every place in the ot where--GOD--LORD are. Nearly 6800 times, like at Psalm 83:18) Men removed Gods name--They had 0 right. God put it there because he wants it there, he wants his name known. At John 17:26---Jesus promises to keep making his name known, and he does---through his real teachers.
Satan wants it his as his name is gone. Those who hide it serve Satan's interests. Jesus on the other hand said.

ESV John 17:26 I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."

Old 09-12-2014, 04:50 AM

840 posts, read 773,289 times
You have taken the Scriptures entirely out of context.

They clearly show that Jehovah is God Almighty, rather than any angel,

as well as that Jesus Christ views him that way, as well . . .

"And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that [Jesus] had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?

And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The LORD ( Jehovah Deu 6:4 ) *our* God is one Lord:

And thou shalt love the LORD ( Jehovah Deu 6:5; Jos 22:5 ) thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment." Divine Name King James Bible (Mark 12:28-30)

Jesus was there referring to the following verses in Deuteronomy . . .

"Listen, O Israel: Jehovah *our* God is one Jehovah.

You must love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength.

These words that I am commanding you today must be on your heart,

and you must inculcate them in your sons and speak of them when you sit in your house and when you walk on the road and when you lie down and when you get up.

Tie them as a reminder on your hand, and they must be like a headband on your forehead."
The Darby Translation (Deuteronomy 6:4-8)

Several other verses to consider are:

"[Be] very watchful to do the command and the law which Moses, servant of Jehovah, commanded you, to love Jehovah your God, and to walk in all His ways, and to keep His commands, and to cleave to Him, and to serve Him, with all your heart, and with all your soul." Young's Literal Translation (Joshua 22:5)

And God said to Moses again "You are to say to the sons of Israel 'Jehovah your father's God, Abraham's God, Isaac's God, Jacob's God, has sent me to you'; this is my name forever, and this is my identification for generation after generation."
The Bible in Living English (Exodus 3:15)

"I am Jehovah, that is my name; and my glory will I not give to another,

neither my praise to graven images." Darby Bible Translation (Isaiah 42:8)

"That men may know that you, whose name alone is JEHOVAH,

are the most high over all the earth." American King James Version (Psalm 83:18)

"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the LORD ( God Jehovah Isa 44:6;Gen 17:1;Exo 6:3 ),
which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty." The Divine Name King James Bible (Revelation 1:8)

Last edited by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp; 09-12-2014 at 05:09 AM..

Old 09-12-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
You have taken the Scriptures entirely out of context.

They clearly show that Jehovah is God Almighty, rather than any angel,

as well as that Jesus Christ views him that way, as well . . .

"And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that [Jesus] had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?

And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The LORD ( Jehovah Deu 6:4 ) *our* God is one Lord:

And thou shalt love the LORD ( Jehovah Deu 6:5; Jos 22:5 ) thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment." Divine Name King James Bible (Mark 12:28-30)

Jesus was there referring to the following verses in Deuteronomy . . .

"Listen, O Israel: Jehovah *our* God is one Jehovah.

You must love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength.

These words that I am commanding you today must be on your heart,

and you must inculcate them in your sons and speak of them when you sit in your house and when you walk on the road and when you lie down and when you get up.

Tie them as a reminder on your hand, and they must be like a headband on your forehead."
The Darby Translation (Deuteronomy 6:4-8)

Several other verses to consider are:

"[Be] very watchful to do the command and the law which Moses, servant of Jehovah, commanded you, to love Jehovah your God, and to walk in all His ways, and to keep His commands, and to cleave to Him, and to serve Him, with all your heart, and with all your soul." Young's Literal Translation (Joshua 22:5)

And God said to Moses again "You are to say to the sons of Israel 'Jehovah your father's God, Abraham's God, Isaac's God, Jacob's God, has sent me to you'; this is my name forever, and this is my identification for generation after generation."
The Bible in Living English (Exodus 3:15)

"I am Jehovah, that is my name; and my glory will I not give to another,

neither my praise to graven images." Darby Bible Translation (Isaiah 42:8)

"That men may know that you, whose name alone is JEHOVAH,

are the most high over all the earth." American King James Version (Psalm 83:18)

"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the LORD ( God Jehovah Isa 44:6;Gen 17:1;Exo 6:3 ),
which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty." The Divine Name King James Bible (Revelation 1:8)
And in Hebrew it isn't hard to establish what it is either. The Jews will mislead as much as possible as they do NOT want it used, so those sources are worthless. The use of Yahweh started just about 200 years ago and is a poor translation, though possible. If you add an "e" aftert the first "H" it is in line with Hebrew grammar. "Yah-He-weh". YHWH is 4 Consonants not 2 and the final "H" is silent.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:18 PM

910 posts, read 1,338,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
The name of God is revealed to those that are given to the son of man, those who keep His word.

"If the son frees you, you shall truly be free."

John 17:6 NRSA
"I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word."
This type if argument is a no no. All through the new testament the name Christ called him was Father. That, my friend is his name. He is the Father of all. Christ did not reveal any other name. If he did, I will like to know that. The old testament prophets did not know the Almighty. They interacted with angels.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
This type if argument is a no no. All through the new testament the name Christ called him was Father. That, my friend is his name. He is the Father of all. Christ did not reveal any other name. If he did, I will like to know that. The old testament prophets did not know the Almighty. They interacted with angels.
I call my Dad father also, but he has a personal name, not just a title and to others I want them to know his name, not just a title. Those Jesus was speaking to knew the name, as my friends know my fathers name, so a title is normally what Jesus would use (and we do as well of our human father) but still not a name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity