U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,567,956 times

Advertisements

Can We Talk About Heaven?

Do you believe it is a physical place?

Or is it spiritual and only inhabited by that which is spirit?

What do you think we will do there? I mean, will we spend all our days worshiping God in song?

Do people in heaven need to eat (and thus go to the restroom)? Somehow I doubt it! I just can't see the need for toilet paper in heaven.

Will we have any work to do?

Will we need to sleep or rest?

Will we be able to meet people we've heard of from past history, or will everyone have a New Name/Identity that is not earthly?

These are just some things I ponder at times and of course none of us really knows for certain, but I thought it would be a nice change from all the discussions currently going on about hell around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 03:31 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,107,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Can We Talk About Heaven?

Do you believe it is a physical place?

Or is it spiritual and only inhabited by that which is spirit?

What do you think we will do there? I mean, will we spend all our days worshiping God in song?

Do people in heaven need to eat (and thus go to the restroom)? Somehow I doubt it! I just can't see the need for toilet paper in heaven.

Will we have any work to do?

Will we need to sleep or rest?

Will we be able to meet people we've heard of from past history, or will everyone have a New Name/Identity that is not earthly?

These are just some things I ponder at times and of course none of us really knows for certain, but I thought it would be a nice change from all the discussions currently going on about hell around here.
Hi Heartsong!
What a beautiful topic!
"The Kingdom of God is within you." "The Kingdom of God is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost." We are in heaven now! Man's heart is the throne of God.

I believe our existence with Him will be in praise, because He is SOOOO glorious! Our physical bodies cannot endure His total presence, this is why we only see in part now. All the languages of the world put together couldn't give Him the praise due Him!
He is our food, our light, our Life! He IS the resurrection!

Blessings!
brian

Old 06-15-2010, 04:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,521 times
I do believe in Heaven! Another plane where there is no pain, no sadness, no anxiety, no materialism, no shame, embarassment, or clicks of judgmental people. I do believe there will be joy, complete and total joy where we will be reunited with those we have formed special connections with on earth. Everyting will smell sweeter, colors more vivid, the breezes always cool. Our only work will be to learn the eternity of unanswered questions that we could never understand in this life! God Bless.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:14 AM

139 posts, read 165,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty_purple_frog View Post
I do believe in Heaven! Another plane where there is no pain, no sadness, no anxiety, no materialism, no shame, embarassment, or clicks of judgmental people. I do believe there will be joy, complete and total joy where we will be reunited with those we have formed special connections with on earth. Everyting will smell sweeter, colors more vivid, the breezes always cool. Our only work will be to learn the eternity of unanswered questions that we could never understand in this life! God Bless.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:20 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,746,380 times
I think it is a physical place that is spiritual. We'll be singing praises as well as doing all the things we enjoyed doing (that aren't sinful, of course) in this life as well as the next. Heaven is all the things we dream about.....multiplied by 1000.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:40 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,550,724 times
It's completely spiritual - but remember we will one day be too (like Him). I believe like Brian that the Kingdom is already with us, it's just a matter of abiding in it. (Eph 2:5-6)

As far as work, I believe we will have Kingdom duties (it excites me!). I believe our personalities and abilities - though perfected - will still be known and put to use in billions of different ways.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:46 AM

Now that I get thinking about it... as we become fashioned into the image of the Son, we take on the full nature of God. To be a Son of God means that we will receive all that God has! The Father will not withhold any good thing.
The power we have always yearned to see and feel-- resurrection power, healing, things in their fullness that we have been only able to imagine.
We will follow the Father, and the power in that will be astounding. Imagine speaking a word, and creating a universe!

blessings,
brian

Old 06-15-2010, 07:16 AM

139 posts, read 165,567 times
when i close my eyes to the world.. i think about gods promise to me and the peace and love that i feel is my heaven.. its as though my soul is dancing to my favourite song with love itself while floating on a cloud.. even though i am sitting in my room .

Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,550,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Now that I get thinking about it... as we become fashioned into the image of the Son, we take on the full nature of God. To be a Son of God means that we will receive all that God has! The Father will not withhold any good thing.
The power we have always yearned to see and feel-- resurrection power, healing, things in their fullness that we have been only able to imagine.
We will follow the Father, and the power in that will be astounding. Imagine speaking a word, and creating a universe!

blessings,
brian
Good point. The ministry I believe we will have (and I do mean ministry) is to be fellow "saviors" with Him (creation waits for the sons of God!); not equal with Him , but having the authority of a queen because her husband is the King, you know?

Just consider what the Lord uses His greatness to do: love, care, build, instruct, discipline, show favor...and expand - always expanding. How did John Piper put it? Something like:

"It is not a defect of the Almighty that He has a tendency to overflow."

That's what we're entering into - greatness like we've never been able to grasp before; but we will know Him in the power of His resurrection!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Good point. The ministry I believe we will have (and I do mean ministry) is to be fellow "saviors" with Him (creation waits for the sons of God!); not equal with Him , but having the authority of a queen because her husband is the King, you know?

Just consider what the Lord uses His greatness to do: love, care, build, instruct, discipline, show favor...and expand - always expanding. How did John Piper put it? Something like:

"It is not a defect of the Almighty that He has a tendency to overflow."

That's what we're entering into - greatness like we've never been able to grasp before; but we will know Him in the power of His resurrection!

blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity