Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 08:43 AM

162 posts, read 212,058 times

Advertisements

John 3:16 is the most commonly used and heard Bible verse on matters of salvation. We see it on signs at sporting events, along the interstate, in bathroom stalls, political rallies, and various other occasions. And unfortunately, it is one of the most abused Scriptures we see today. While there is solid and absolute truth in John 3:16, to use it as the sole passage of Scripture to define salvation is not only irresponsible, but it can do much damage to include giving people a false sense of security. In other words, clinging to this verse of Scripture alone for one’s salvation might be the very thing that sends them to eternal hell apart from Jesus Christ. We must use the whole context of Scripture to understand salvation in Jesus Christ.

There are a number of passages that define salvation, but for the purposes of this article, I want to remain within the context of John 3:16-21. I have chosen to break down these verses and insert parallel scriptures to give more depth into the meaning of this passage. I pray this will be a blessing to all who read it.

Let’s take a look at John 3:16-21 in its entirety:
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God sent not the Son into the world to judge the world; but that the world should be saved through him. 18 He that believeth on him is not judged: he that believeth not hath been judged already, because he hath not believed on the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the judgment, that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their works were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, and cometh not to the light, lest his works should be reproved. 21 But he that doeth the truth cometh to the light, that his works may be made manifest, that they have been wrought in God.
Joh 3:16 For God so loved

The following passages give us an idea of the love God has for us. It shows that His love is unconditional (for we were dead in our transgressions), He sent His Son by His kindness and mercy, and He loved us first – thus sending His Son to pay for our sins.

· Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his own love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

· Eph 2:4 but God, being rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

· Tit 3:4 But when the kindness of God our Saviour, and his love toward man, appeared,

· 1Jn 4:9 Herein was the love of God manifested in us, that God hath sent his only begotten Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

(For God so loved) the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

God came to earth as a man through His Son Jesus Christ. The work of God is to believe in Jesus, and it is the will of God to give eternal life to those who believe in His Son. Whoever does not believe in the Son will reap the wrath of God. And though we were sinners, those who believe in the Son have now been reconciled to God through Him. Especially of note, the Apostle Paul claims he is the chief of all sinners. It is understandable for him to think this because he supervised the death of countless Christians before his conversion. But because of His infinite grace and mercy, God even forgave Saul (Paul). The point of this is to show that no one is outside of God’s grace. There is not one act any person has done to forfeit salvation through Jesus Christ. If God forgave Saul, He will forgive anyone should they ask.

· Joh 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us (and we beheld his glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father), full of grace and truth.

· Joh 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath eternal life; but he that obeyeth not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him.

· Joh 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

· Joh 6:40 For this is the will of my Father, that every one that beholdeth the Son, and believeth on him, should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

· Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth on me, though he die, yet shall he live; 26 and whosoever liveth and believeth on me shall never die. Believest thou this?

· Rom 5:10 For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, shall we be saved by his life;

· 1Ti 1:15 Faithful is the saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief: 16 howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me as chief might Jesus Christ show forth all his longsuffering, for an ensample of them that should thereafter believe on him unto eternal life.

Joh 3:17 For God sent not the Son into the world

The following passages show that God the Father sent His Son Jesus to the world so that they might be saved. It is hard to understand how anyone can dispute that God is one, yet 3 distinct persons. While we will never understand the Godhead in our corruptible minds, the Trinity is clearly illustrated in Scripture.

· Joh 6:57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father; so he that eateth me, he also shall live because of me.

· Joh 10:36 say ye of him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

· Joh 11:42 And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the multitude that standeth around I said it, that they may believe that thou didst send me.

· Joh 17:8 for the words which thou gavest me I have given unto them; and they received them, and knew of a truth that I came forth from thee, and they believed that thou didst send me.

· Joh 17:21 that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us: that the world may believe that thou didst send me.

· Joh 20:21 Jesus therefore said to them again, Peace be unto you: as the Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

(…sent not the Son) to judge the world; but that the world should be saved through him.

When Jesus came in the flesh, He did not come to judge the world but to save the world by His sacrifice. The free gift of salvation has been offered to all humans, but unless the gift is received, those who reject it are condemned already. And while Jesus did not come to judge the world the first time, there is coming a day when He will return to indeed judge the world. The world will be judged by the very words of Jesus they chose and continue to choose to reject.

· Joh 12:47 And if any man hear my sayings, and keep them not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my sayings, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I spake, the same shall judge him in the last day.

· 1Jn 4:14 And we have beheld and bear witness that the Father hath sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

· Joh 1:29 On the morrow he seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!

· Mat 18:11 For the Son of man came to save that which was lost.

· 1Jn 2:2 and he is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the whole world.

Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not judged:

Here we have that eternal life comes through belief and faith alone in Jesus Christ. In fact, John 5:24 is one of the proof verses that Catholicism’s purgatory is a doctrine of devils. If we believe, we have life. To teach we must go through purification before we obtain life is outright heresy! Furthermore, we are justified by faith alone; we are saved by grace through faith alone – not of our works, lest any man should boast. You cannot work your way to heaven. No amount of good deeds or service will earn eternal life. No amount of works, prayers, sacraments, confessions, repentance, or masses will give you a ticket to heaven. These are man-made traditions and teachings and will only ensure your condemnation if you do not come out from this apostasy. It is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Jesus Christ alone that you may be saved.

· Joh 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth hath eternal life.

· Joh 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth him that sent me, hath eternal life, and cometh not into judgment, but hath passed out of death into life.

· Joh 20:31 but these are written, that ye may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye may have life in his name.

· Rom 5:1 Being therefore justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ;

· Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus.

· 1Jn 5:12 He that hath the Son hath the life; he that hath not the Son of God hath not the life.

· Eph 2:8 for by grace have ye been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not of works, that no man should glory.

he that believeth not hath been judged already, because he hath not believed on the name of the only begotten Son of God.

If you do not believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, you will be condemned to hell. Period. The world was lost because their sin separated them from God. He sent His son to atone for the sins of the world, but for those who reject Him, they will reap the full wrath of God. He loved us so much to send His Son to die for us, yet the world rejects Him anyway and they will be eternally damned for it.

· Joh 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath eternal life; but he that obeyeth not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him.

· Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that disbelieveth shall be condemned.

· 1Jn 4:9 Herein was the love of God manifested in us, that God hath sent his only begotten Son into the world that we might live through him.

· 1Jn 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in him: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he hath not believed in the witness that God hath borne concerning his Son.

Joh 3:19 And this is the judgment, that the light is come into the world,

Jesus is the light of the world. He is the life by which we obtain salvation. If you follow Christ as your Lord and Savior, you will not walk in darkness.

· Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

· Joh 8:12 Again therefore Jesus spake unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life.

and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their works were evil.

We are naturally wicked, it is the very sin nature within us. If given the choice, we will always choose evil. It’s what happened in the Garden. But by His grace we who have faith in Christ are not condemned. Those who have found the Truth hear His voice and follow Him. The works we perform are done unto God and to Him alone. The unrighteous and those who try to work for their salvation perform their deeds for other men. They seek glory from man and not to glorify God in all things. And their reward with be the wrath and indignation of a holy God.

· 2Th 2:12 that they all might be judged who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

· Joh 5:44 How can ye believe, who receive glory one of another, and the glory that cometh from the only God ye seek not?

· Joh 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

· Joh 12:43 for they loved the glory that is of men more than the glory that is of God.

· Rom 2:8 but unto them that are factious, and obey not the truth, but obey unrighteousness, shall be wrath and indignation,

Joh 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, and cometh not to the light, lest his works should be reproved.

Now we get into a part of this passage of Scripture that sheds light on the darkness of men. They further show that while belief in Jesus Christ is all that is necessary to receive eternal life, true belief will not still yield fruit of darkness. Once one is saved by the blood of Christ, they will change into a new creation bearing good fruit, fruit that will last. For some this change is evident over night; for others it may take some time. But the bottom line is there will indeed be change, and one will no longer walk in darkness with the Light of life in him.

· Eph 5:8 For ye were once darkness, but are now light in the Lord: walk as children of light

· Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these: fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousies, wraths, factions, divisions, parties, 21 envyings, drunkenness, revellings, and such like; of which I forewarn you, even as I did forewarn you, that they who practise such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

· 1Jn 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

· Eph 5:11 and have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather even reprove them; 13 But all things when they are reproved are made manifest by the light: for everything that is made manifest is light.

· Jas 1:23 For if any one is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a mirror: 24 for he beholdeth himself, and goeth away, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25 But he that looketh into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and so continueth, being not a hearer that forgetteth but a doer that worketh, this man shall be blessed in his doing.

Joh 3:21 But he that doeth the truth cometh to the light, that his works may be made manifest, that they have been wrought in God.

This is the heart of the man who seeks after God, the one who truly believes in Jesus, the one who has received eternal life:

· Psa 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the wicked, Nor standeth in the way of sinners, Nor sitteth in the seat of scoffers: 2 But his delight is in the law of Jehovah; And on his law doth he meditate day and night. 3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the streams of water, That bringeth forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also doth not wither; And whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

· Psa 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, And light unto my path.

· Psa 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: Try me, and know my thoughts; 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.

· Joh 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; so neither can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit: for apart from me ye can do nothing.

· 1Co 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not found vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

· Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 meekness, self-control; against such there is no law.

· Gal 6:8 For he that soweth unto his own flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth unto the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap eternal life.

· Eph 5:9 (for the fruit of the light is in all goodness and righteousness and truth),

· Php 1:11 being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are through Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

· Col 1:29 whereunto I labor also, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

· Heb 13:21 make you perfect in every good thing to do his will, working in us that which is well-pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be the glory for ever and ever. Amen.

· 1Pe 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in your obedience to the truth unto unfeigned love of the brethren, love one another from the heart fervently:

· 1Jn 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God abideth in him, and he in God. 16 And we know and have believed the love which God hath in us. God is love; and he that abideth in love abideth in God, and God abideth in him.

· 3Jn 1:11 Beloved, imitate not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

· 1Jn 5:2 Hereby we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and do his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

So in conclusion, we see that while all we have to do is believe in the Son of God and His work on the cross in order to receive eternal life, this belief will be evidenced in the life of a born again believer. The works of darkness will not be manifest, but the fruit of the Spirit will be manifest. If by reading these passages of Scripture you have realized that your life is contrary to what the Word of God clearly shows should be the life of a believer, then get on your knees and repent unto Him. Surrender your life to Christ and give Him complete control. It is not just a simple belief in Jesus that saves you, for even the demons believe there is a God. James 2:19 says “Thou believest that God is one; thou doest well: the demons also believe, and shudder.” It is clear that an intellectual belief in God does not result in salvation, but a belief that results in the change of heart, through genuine repentance, that Jesus Christ is Lord, is what gives one eternal life. If you have no obvious fruit in your life, your heart may have never believed in Jesus. What will you do about that today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:56 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Although I appreciate your in-depth study, it's really not necessary. All you have to do is follow up John 3:16 with John 3:17 to understand that Jesus Christ came to save the ENTIRE WORLD, not just a select few. Your making it legalistic, as most fundamentalists do.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:34 AM

162 posts, read 212,058 times
Actually Ilene, it's called rightly dividing the Word.

2 Timothy 2 15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Stopping at verse 17 and not continuing through verse 21 does not consider the text in context.

he that believeth not hath been judged already, because he hath not believed on the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,231 times
Re: that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Just as it states,Jesus came to save those who believe in Him.By virtue of free will,no one is forced to do so.
This is not being legalistic;it's believing the scripture for what it says.Nothing less.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Although I appreciate your in-depth study, it's really not necessary. All you have to do is follow up John 3:16 with John 3:17 to understand that Jesus Christ came to save the ENTIRE WORLD, not just a select few. Your making it legalistic, as most fundamentalists do.
I agree... John 3:17 is a great verse that most leave out and don't address..

The same world he came into (the sinful one) is the same sinful world he saves....

Old 06-15-2010, 11:03 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
Re: that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Just as it states,Jesus came to save those who believe in Him.By virtue of free will,no one is forced to do so.
This is not being legalistic;it's believing the scripture for what it says.Nothing less.
This is where the carnal mind trips and falls repeatedly.

We read it as if the condition will never change. "IF" we believe, "WHOSOEVER", etc.

Now - read these scriptures with "WHEN" in mind. If He doesn't turn them, there is fire to change us. If He does, then we are now in His kingdom. It's not a matter of "IN" and "OUT", but of "BEFORE" and "AFTER".

Example: Whosoever is 12 years old will be arrested for driving a car.

Anyone in society who reads that knows the kid will change. It's a "state" that the person is in.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
This is where the carnal mind trips and falls repeatedly.

We read it as if the condition will never change. "IF" we believe, "WHOSOEVER", etc.

Now - read these scriptures with "WHEN" in mind. If He doesn't turn them, there is fire to change us. If He does, then we are now in His kingdom. It's not a matter of "IN" and "OUT", but of "BEFORE" and "AFTER".

Example: Whosoever is 12 years old will be arrested for driving a car.

Anyone in society who reads that knows the kid will change. It's a "state" that the person is in.
Not only that but we understand that it is not just 12 year olds that will be arrested for driving a car. Anyone who is committing a crime or underage driving a car will be arrested. It is not an exclusive statement.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:32 AM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airō View Post
John 3:16 is the most commonly used and heard Bible verse on matters of salvation. We see it on signs at sporting events, along the interstate, in bathroom stalls, political rallies, and various other occasions. And unfortunately, it is one of the most abused Scriptures we see today. While there is solid and absolute truth in John 3:16, to use it as the sole passage of Scripture to define salvation is not only irresponsible, but it can do much damage to include giving people a false sense of security. In other words, clinging to this verse of Scripture alone for one’s salvation might be the very thing that sends them to eternal hell apart from Jesus Christ. We must use the whole context of Scripture to understand salvation in Jesus Christ.

There are a number of passages that define salvation, but for the purposes of this article, I want to remain within the context of John 3:16-21. I have chosen to break down these verses and insert parallel scriptures to give more depth into the meaning of this passage. I pray this will be a blessing to all who read it.

Let’s take a look at John 3:16-21 in its entirety:
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God sent not the Son into the world to judge the world; but that the world should be saved through him. 18 He that believeth on him is not judged: he that believeth not hath been judged already, because he hath not believed on the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the judgment, that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their works were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, and cometh not to the light, lest his works should be reproved. 21 But he that doeth the truth cometh to the light, that his works may be made manifest, that they have been wrought in God.
Joh 3:16 For God so loved

The following passages give us an idea of the love God has for us. It shows that His love is unconditional (for we were dead in our transgressions), He sent His Son by His kindness and mercy, and He loved us first – thus sending His Son to pay for our sins.

· Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his own love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

· Eph 2:4 but God, being rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

· Tit 3:4 But when the kindness of God our Saviour, and his love toward man, appeared,

· 1Jn 4:9 Herein was the love of God manifested in us, that God hath sent his only begotten Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

(For God so loved) the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

God came to earth as a man through His Son Jesus Christ. The work of God is to believe in Jesus, and it is the will of God to give eternal life to those who believe in His Son. Whoever does not believe in the Son will reap the wrath of God. And though we were sinners, those who believe in the Son have now been reconciled to God through Him. Especially of note, the Apostle Paul claims he is the chief of all sinners. It is understandable for him to think this because he supervised the death of countless Christians before his conversion. But because of His infinite grace and mercy, God even forgave Saul (Paul). The point of this is to show that no one is outside of God’s grace. There is not one act any person has done to forfeit salvation through Jesus Christ. If God forgave Saul, He will forgive anyone should they ask.

· Joh 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us (and we beheld his glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father), full of grace and truth.

· Joh 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

· Joh 6:40 For this is the will of my Father, that every one that beholdeth the Son, and believeth on him, should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

· Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth on me, though he die, yet shall he live; 26 and whosoever liveth and believeth on me shall never die. Believest thou this?

· Rom 5:10 For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, shall we be saved by his life;

· 1Ti 1:15 Faithful is the saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief: 16 howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me as chief might Jesus Christ show forth all his longsuffering, for an ensample of them that should thereafter believe on him unto eternal life.

Joh 3:17 For God sent not the Son into the world

The following passages show that God the Father sent His Son Jesus to the world so that they might be saved. It is hard to understand how anyone can dispute that God is one, yet 3 distinct persons. While we will never understand the Godhead in our corruptible minds, the Trinity is clearly illustrated in Scripture.

· Joh 6:57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father; so he that eateth me, he also shall live because of me.

· Joh 10:36 say ye of him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

· Joh 11:42 And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the multitude that standeth around I said it, that they may believe that thou didst send me.

· Joh 17:8 for the words which thou gavest me I have given unto them; and they received them, and knew of a truth that I came forth from thee, and they believed that thou didst send me.

· Joh 17:21 that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us: that the world may believe that thou didst send me.

· Joh 20:21 Jesus therefore said to them again, Peace be unto you: as the Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

(…sent not the Son) to judge the world; but that the world should be saved through him.

When Jesus came in the flesh, He did not come to judge the world but to save the world by His sacrifice. The free gift of salvation has been offered to all humans, but unless the gift is received, those who reject it are condemned already. And while Jesus did not come to judge the world the first time, there is coming a day when He will return to indeed judge the world. The world will be judged by the very words of Jesus they chose and continue to choose to reject.

· Joh 12:47 And if any man hear my sayings, and keep them not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my sayings, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I spake, the same shall judge him in the last day.

· 1Jn 4:14 And we have beheld and bear witness that the Father hath sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

· Joh 1:29 On the morrow he seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!

· Mat 18:11 For the Son of man came to save that which was lost.

· 1Jn 2:2 and he is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the whole world.

Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not judged:

Here we have that eternal life comes through belief and faith alone in Jesus Christ. In fact, John 5:24 is one of the proof verses that Catholicism’s purgatory is a doctrine of devils. If we believe, we have life. To teach we must go through purification before we obtain life is outright heresy! Furthermore, we are justified by faith alone; we are saved by grace through faith alone – not of our works, lest any man should boast. You cannot work your way to heaven. No amount of good deeds or service will earn eternal life. No amount of works, prayers, sacraments, confessions, repentance, or masses will give you a ticket to heaven. These are man-made traditions and teachings and will only ensure your condemnation if you do not come out from this apostasy. It is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Jesus Christ alone that you may be saved.

· Joh 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth hath eternal life.

· Joh 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth him that sent me, hath eternal life, and cometh not into judgment, but hath passed out of death into life.

· Joh 20:31 but these are written, that ye may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye may have life in his name.

· Rom 5:1 Being therefore justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ;

· Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus.

· 1Jn 5:12 He that hath the Son hath the life; he that hath not the Son of God hath not the life.

· Eph 2:8 for by grace have ye been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not of works, that no man should glory.

If you do not believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, you will be condemned to hell. Period. The world was lost because their sin separated them from God. He sent His son to atone for the sins of the world, but for those who reject Him, they will reap the full wrath of God. He loved us so much to send His Son to die for us, yet the world rejects Him anyway and they will be eternally damned for it.

· Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that disbelieveth shall be condemned.

· 1Jn 4:9 Herein was the love of God manifested in us, that God hath sent his only begotten Son into the world that we might live through him.

· 1Jn 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in him: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he hath not believed in the witness that God hath borne concerning his Son.

Joh 3:19 And this is the judgment, that the light is come into the world,

Jesus is the light of the world. He is the life by which we obtain salvation. If you follow Christ as your Lord and Savior, you will not walk in darkness.

· Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

· Joh 8:12 Again therefore Jesus spake unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life.

and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their works were evil.

We are naturally wicked, it is the very sin nature within us. If given the choice, we will always choose evil. It’s what happened in the Garden. But by His grace we who have faith in Christ are not condemned. Those who have found the Truth hear His voice and follow Him. The works we perform are done unto God and to Him alone. The unrighteous and those who try to work for their salvation perform their deeds for other men. They seek glory from man and not to glorify God in all things. And their reward with be the wrath and indignation of a holy God.

· 2Th 2:12 that they all might be judged who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

· Joh 5:44 How can ye believe, who receive glory one of another, and the glory that cometh from the only God ye seek not?

· Joh 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

· Joh 12:43 for they loved the glory that is of men more than the glory that is of God.

· Rom 2:8 but unto them that are factious, and obey not the truth, but obey unrighteousness, shall be wrath and indignation,

Joh 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, and cometh not to the light, lest his works should be reproved.

Now we get into a part of this passage of Scripture that sheds light on the darkness of men. They further show that while belief in Jesus Christ is all that is necessary to receive eternal life, true belief will not still yield fruit of darkness. Once one is saved by the blood of Christ, they will change into a new creation bearing good fruit, fruit that will last. For some this change is evident over night; for others it may take some time. But the bottom line is there will indeed be change, and one will no longer walk in darkness with the Light of life in him.

· Eph 5:8 For ye were once darkness, but are now light in the Lord: walk as children of light

· Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these: fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousies, wraths, factions, divisions, parties, 21 envyings, drunkenness, revellings, and such like; of which I forewarn you, even as I did forewarn you, that they who practise such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

· 1Jn 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in the darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

· Eph 5:11 and have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather even reprove them; 13 But all things when they are reproved are made manifest by the light: for everything that is made manifest is light.

· Jas 1:23 For if any one is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a mirror: 24 for he beholdeth himself, and goeth away, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25 But he that looketh into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and so continueth, being not a hearer that forgetteth but a doer that worketh, this man shall be blessed in his doing.

Joh 3:21 But he that doeth the truth cometh to the light, that his works may be made manifest, that they have been wrought in God.

This is the heart of the man who seeks after God, the one who truly believes in Jesus, the one who has received eternal life:

· Psa 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the wicked, Nor standeth in the way of sinners, Nor sitteth in the seat of scoffers: 2 But his delight is in the law of Jehovah; And on his law doth he meditate day and night. 3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the streams of water, That bringeth forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also doth not wither; And whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

· Psa 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, And light unto my path.

· Psa 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: Try me, and know my thoughts; 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.

· Joh 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; so neither can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit: for apart from me ye can do nothing.

· 1Co 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not found vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

· Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 meekness, self-control; against such there is no law.

· Gal 6:8 For he that soweth unto his own flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth unto the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap eternal life.

· Eph 5:9 (for the fruit of the light is in all goodness and righteousness and truth),

· Php 1:11 being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are through Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

· Col 1:29 whereunto I labor also, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

· Heb 13:21 make you perfect in every good thing to do his will, working in us that which is well-pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be the glory for ever and ever. Amen.

· 1Pe 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in your obedience to the truth unto unfeigned love of the brethren, love one another from the heart fervently:

· 1Jn 4:15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God abideth in him, and he in God. 16 And we know and have believed the love which God hath in us. God is love; and he that abideth in love abideth in God, and God abideth in him.

· 3Jn 1:11 Beloved, imitate not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

· 1Jn 5:2 Hereby we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and do his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

So in conclusion, we see that while all we have to do is believe in the Son of God and His work on the cross in order to receive eternal life, this belief will be evidenced in the life of a born again believer. The works of darkness will not be manifest, but the fruit of the Spirit will be manifest. If by reading these passages of Scripture you have realized that your life is contrary to what the Word of God clearly shows should be the life of a believer, then get on your knees and repent unto Him. Surrender your life to Christ and give Him complete control. It is not just a simple belief in Jesus that saves you, for even the demons believe there is a God. James 2:19 says “Thou believest that God is one; thou doest well: the demons also believe, and shudder.” It is clear that an intellectual belief in God does not result in salvation, but a belief that results in the change of heart, through genuine repentance, that Jesus Christ is Lord, is what gives one eternal life. If you have no obvious fruit in your life, your heart may have never believed in Jesus. What will you do about that today?
This is an excellent study, airo. The reason so many misunderstand is because of the way we use the word believe as an intellectual ackowledgment (as you point out). The phrase "pisteuō eis" (believe on) is not merely an archaic phrasing . . . it specifically means what you have described . . . "a commitment to the example of" . . . and involves not espousing an intellectual belief . . . but a lifestyle commitment. Our ancestors were not concerned about intellectual things like mere "belief". . . they were more carnal and worldly and concerned with direct impact on attitudes and behavior in life, period. This is why those who actually live in a Christlike manner would be considered "believers on" Christ whatever their intellectual beliefs were. I repeat . . . God is NOT interested in any ego gratification from us . . . only in our attitudes and behaviors and manifestations of love toward all life (which includes God . . . remember "what you do to these the least" . . .?).

Last edited by MysticPhD; 06-15-2010 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 12:53 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
it's believing the scripture for what it says.Nothing less.

Exactly, Gods judgments are corrective in nature and God will save the whole world.

That is believing scripture for what it says, nothing less.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:32 PM

702 posts, read 961,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airō View Post

<snip>

So in conclusion, we see that while all we have to do is believe in the Son of God and His work on the cross in order to receive eternal life, this belief will be evidenced in the life of a born again believer. The works of darkness will not be manifest, but the fruit of the Spirit will be manifest.
Some good points in this post. Many people are deluded into thinking that they are children of God merely on the basis of having prayed a prayer or signed a "decision" card at some point in the past, meanwhile having no fruit in their lives. Scripture is clear in its teaching that the absence of fruit is a sign of spiritual death and impending judgment:
For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned. But, beloved, we are convinced of better things concerning you, and things that accompany salvation, though we are speaking in this way. (Hebrews 6:7-9, NASB)
"Abide in Me [Jesus], and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. (John 15:4-6, NASB)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity