U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,490,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You think it's rooted in fear? As pcamps thinketh, so it is? Alright pcamps, if you say so.
You mean the "turn or burn" and "believe or be left behind" beliefs AREN'T rooted in fear?How so?The fear of a hell is the MOST powerful argument in the evangelical arsenal.Evangelicals have nothing to preach and teach if they can't threaten people with an everlasting hell to avoid going to.Fear is CENTRAL to the evangelical message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 AM

2,739 posts, read 5,552,804 times
Quote:
Like everyone else, I’ve been intently watching the headlines, wondering what’s next for our country, our world. I’m a rapture believer, but I’m also realizing that my family is not prepared for the “tough times” we’ll probably experience before the Lord comes for us. I’m wondering if you could give some advice, insight, references regarding what we can do today to make sure we are as prepared as we can be regarding finances, food, fuel, etc.

Before we get to arguing and fussing, 1. This is not a UR thread! 2. All are welcome....Yes, I would like to hear from a Christian/Believer's prospective, but understand you don't have to be either, to see what's going on in our world today, amen?

Are you hearing the voice of God telling you to leave a certain area? Keep on hand extra supplies? Or, are you prepared to go on as if nothing is happening and then trusting God for the money, food, shelter, etc.. later on?

I have a feeling that before we are raptured we may very well see the fall of America, and suffer the horrors that go with that. If true, how do we prepare, what might we expect to go through, and how might God use us during that time?

PS: There's no right or wrong answers here...It's each to his/her own, however God leads you ..to prepare or not, for your house.

Betsey

We all ought to pray for wisdom, regarding whether we individually should prepare ourselves in some way. We've seen now how others will say others have "lack of faith", "aren't trusting in the Lord", "are doing fear-based posting", "cult-following", etc. Judging others.

However, the OP poses questions that I believe are valid. It's not anyone's job to be determining whether another should be preparing for the end times or not, because everyone's situation is so different. Some may need preparation, and others may not. Is preparation, in general, wise? Well....I believe it is. What preparation? That depends on your situation. If you live in a desert area, that may mean (for example) storing drinking water. Does that mean I should store some water too? Well, no, I don't need to store water. Why not? Because, we already have water coming out of our ears here..tons and tons and tons of it. Alaska is practically made out of water. That's what I mean about our situations being different; what is important where you live may not even be relevant here.

It may seem "cultish" to some, but it really doesn't hurt to stash away a couple weeks worth of food and water. It may seem foolish, but you are gonna use this stuff anyway...it doesn't get wasted. If it makes one feel more secure, then do it, and who cares whether some think it's "not trusting in the Lord". Maybe it's actually the other way around: maybe you are trusting in the Lord, that the leading He gave you to stash away some food and water, is really Him...that if you don't do it, then you aren't trusting in the Lord...you don't believe His leading...

Bottem line: pray. Ask the Lord for wisdom regarding things. Then, if you really feel led to do something, do it. If you really feel led to stash away some food, then do that. If you really feel led to do nothing, then do nothing.

IMO

Bud

Old 08-02-2010, 02:42 AM

5,501 posts, read 2,488,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
You mean the "turn or burn" and "believe or be left behind" beliefs AREN'T rooted in fear?How so?The fear of a hell is the MOST powerful argument in the evangelical arsenal.Evangelicals have nothing to preach and teach if they can't threaten people with an everlasting hell to avoid going to.Fear is CENTRAL to the evangelical message.
If this is how "organized religion" make their money, then it can be likened to a highway robbery...get evangelized while I rake your money!

Old 08-02-2010, 02:59 AM

5,966 posts, read 3,015,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
It's called extortion:
: ex·tor·tion Pronunciation: \ik-ˈstȯr-shən\
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 : the act or practice of extorting especially money or other property; especially : the offense committed by an official engaging in such practice
2 : something extorted; especially : a gross overcharge

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. - Matthew 23:25

Old 08-02-2010, 03:05 AM

5,501 posts, read 2,488,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
It's called extortion:
: ex·tor·tion Pronunciation: \ik-ˈstȯr-shən\
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 : the act or practice of extorting especially money or other property; especially : the offense committed by an official engaging in such practice
2 : something extorted; especially : a gross overcharge

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. - Matthew 23:25
...well, my highway robbery stands corrected...poor choice of words...thanks Heartsong!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:16 AM

5,966 posts, read 3,015,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
...well, my highway robbery stands corrected...poor choice of words...thanks Heartsong!
6 one way= half a dozen the other.
Highway robbery was not 'wrong', Ans57.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:34 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,404,932 times
if we stock up on things,couldn't that be detrimental,twofold,down the road?and not even what God wants? does He not say He will take care of our needs?
lemme explain??

Old 08-02-2010, 10:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,404,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post

If monumental disaster is imminent, should we be prepping, or should we be out in the streets, preaching Jesus to the unsaved? If you really believe we are on the verge of something, wouldn't the Christian thing to do, be to witness to people, instead of hoarding up supplies?

yes,amen,that is just what I mean
if we hoard up on supplies and nothing happens...well,nothing lasts forever and things will grow old,get out of date..even batteries corrode.
besides that...if we hoard and a rapture DOES occur,and we are taken (along with our families,JESUS IS NOT A HOMEWRECKER!!),then what becomes of all the stuff left behind? again,waste of money.

Quote:
I did get scared and upset about all this a year or so ago, but I no longer fear, because it's a settled-down fact, you can only die once. Physically, anyway......this isn't Ethiopia, this isn't a third-world country.....we have fertile soul, rivers, streams, lakes.....if there is a nuclear event, would you WANT to survive that???
right,what's the point?? for myself anyway,I'm too old to help repopulate the earth,even it if could be done at that point in time.

Quote:
No man knows the day or the hour, of his return. I refuse to be filled with fear. "Perfect love casts out fear." Yes world events are staggering, events and the political climate in the US has reached unbelievably corrupt proportions, but that's because our country has turned away from God.....we do not know what we will suffer in this life. We can run like rabbits and live in fear, or we can go about our business and maintain our communion with the Lord....I am of the opinion that people who are so very busy laying up supplies, might not hear a still, small voice, when they need to........I do not listen to or watch the news, I get my news from the internet, it's the only reliable, truthful source of news nowadays. If I listened to the stuff broadcast, I might be more fearful, but as we know, Satan is the prince of the powers of the air...JMO
yes amen

and I'll just be here in the south just wavin' my hanky n hollerin' HELPPPP! in my best southern voice. LOL

Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM

4,273 posts, read 3,700,942 times
Snippets: In case you didn’t catch it on the news, there’s a solar flare headed towards Earth that will hit tonight and tomorrow. Now, technically, a solar flare spawned a coronal mass ejection that’s headed towards Earth, but “solar flare” is a much more recognized phrase than “coronal mass ejection.” I’m going to tell you what’s going on with it quickly, and then tell you why it’s important.

Here’s why this is a big deal.

If you’ve noticed, I frequently talk about solar flares being an event that has the ability to cause widespread disruptions in the grid, the supply chain, and in civil order. Unlike EMPs that dispense their energy for a few seconds over a limited area, a large solar flare would be like a series of EMPs going off for hours or even days over most or all of the Earth. The result would be that electronics that aren’t shielded, and even some that are improperly shielded, would get fried.
In the event of an EMP or a class M (and possibly X) solar flare, we would lose our electrical grid, electronics including vehicles and advanced medical devices, refrigeration, and pumps for fuel, water, and sewage.

Is this something to fear? No. That won’t do ANY good. But it is an event that should stress the importance of getting prepared for breakdowns in the grid, social services, and civil order…NOW.

Read on.......Surviving Solar Flares. | SecretsOfUrbanSurvival.com

Old 08-03-2010, 05:54 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,200,575 times
Quote:
Snippets: In case you didn’t catch it on the news, there’s a solar flare headed towards Earth that will hit tonight and tomorrow. Now, technically, a solar flare spawned a coronal mass ejection that’s headed towards Earth, but “solar flare” is a much more recognized phrase than “coronal mass ejection.” I’m going to tell you what’s going on with it quickly, and then tell you why it’s important.

Here’s why this is a big deal.

If you’ve noticed, I frequently talk about solar flares being an event that has the ability to cause widespread disruptions in the grid, the supply chain, and in civil order. Unlike EMPs that dispense their energy for a few seconds over a limited area, a large solar flare would be like a series of EMPs going off for hours or even days over most or all of the Earth. The result would be that electronics that aren’t shielded, and even some that are improperly shielded, would get fried.
In the event of an EMP or a class M (and possibly X) solar flare, we would lose our electrical grid, electronics including vehicles and advanced medical devices, refrigeration, and pumps for fuel, water, and sewage.

Is this something to fear? No. That won’t do ANY good. But it is an event that should stress the importance of getting prepared for breakdowns in the grid, social services, and civil order…NOW.

Read on.......Surviving Solar Flares. | SecretsOfUrbanSurvival.com
Houston...we have a problem...the grip of reality, has lost its hold.

Cripes...the sun is going through a perfectly natural and normal phase...a little study goes a long way Betsy (in a science book, not the bible) and your fear mongering is getting extremely tiresome....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity