Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,213,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Kat - You sound like a really great person! I am not religious but I see what you are saying. And for the most part - I agree with you. When all people try to do is scare me or threaten me, I stop listening and run as fast as I can in the other direction! I'm begining to see that they are not doing this out of malice but it's hard to remember that! I've been on this forum just trying to understand everyone's different beliefs and thoughts. I think that if all Christians sounded like you - the world would be a better place. Like I said, I'm not religious - but I try to live my life in love. What greater thing is there to experience than love? I have a wonderful life because I am surrounded by people that I love that love me back. I wish you all the best!
If one is a Christian, they are not of the world, and the world will persecute them and will hate them because they first hated Jesus. If the world loves them, then they are not following Jesus.

“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours."
John 15:18-20

“Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."
Matthew 5:10-12

"All men will hate you because of me. But not a hair of your head will perish. By standing firm you will gain life."
Luke 21:17-19

Old 06-18-2010, 12:27 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,475,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
If one is a Christian, they are not of the world, and the world will persecute them and will hate them because they first hated Jesus. If the world loves them, then they are not following Jesus.

“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours."

“Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

"All men will hate you because of me. But not a hair of your head will perish. By standing firm you will gain life."
Start with condemnation and end with the same unbeliever... Jesus taught to love God and love one another was the greatest commandment... Too bad you don't see that!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:29 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,475,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
After all is gone, what is left is faith, hope, and Love.

The greatest of these is Love.
Yep....

So why do people say that Love needs to be shown with judgment, wrath, torture, and burning in hell?

Old 06-18-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Start with condemnation and end with the same unbeliever... Jesus taught to love God and love one another was the greatest commandment... Too bad you don't see that!
What are you talking about? I'm not trying to "convert" him. I was showing that he, as an unbeliever, is supporting you and agrees with you, but the Bible says that the opposite will happen if you are a follower of Christ. That shows to me that you aren't following Christ because you are following a false gospel.

The universalist wants to show their love, but the Bible says that "all men will hate you because of me". How is that possible if all you talk about is love? You need to show love by showing the truth and people will not like the truth thus the persecution begins.

Last edited by CantWait2Leave; 06-18-2010 at 01:22 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:

What a vile and ignorant twisting of the intention of scripture! It does NOT mean remain stupid and ignorant by never trying to understand the spiritual message in scripture . . . just read it in its literal primitive form without knowledge (or "wisdom of man"). And then . . . when society calls you blind and ignorant and stupid . . . rejoice that you are now a true Christian being reviled like Christ!!! Saints preserve us!!! I am sorry . . . I can't continue until I calm down.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:52 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,285,343 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? I'm not trying to "convert" him. I was showing the he, as an unbeliever, is supporting you and agrees with you, but the Bible says that the opposite will happen if you are a follower of Christ. That shows to me that you aren't following Christ because you are following a false gospel.

The universalist wants to show their love, but the Bible says that "all men will hate you because of me". How is that possible if all you talk about is love? You need to show love by showing the truth and people will not like the truth thus the persecution begins.
You are correct. Yes God is love, but to say He is only love and never talk about the consequences of sin and rejecting Him is false gospel.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What a vile and ignorant twisting of the intention of scripture! It does NOT mean remain stupid and ignorant by never trying to understand the spiritual message in scripture . . . just read it in its literal primitive form without knowledge (or "wisdom of man"). And then . . . when society calls you blind and ignorant and stupid . . . rejoice that you are now a true Christian being reviled like Christ!!! Saints preserve us!!! I am sorry . . . I can't continue until I calm down.
What did I twist? I never said anything about being blind, ignorant or stupid, did I? All I did was quote scripture. The world will not like what the believer has to say and will hate them. I don't see how your false gospel fits in with those verses.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:16 PM

823 posts, read 1,391,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You are correct. Yes God is love, but to say He is only love and never talk about the consequences of sin and rejecting Him is false gospel.
If we could reach out to people to proclaim what Jesus told us to focus on there would be no need to talk about the consequences.

I see this in my own life. Ever since I started praying to God for his Love I have received it more abundantly. This Love from God has made me a new person. I do loving things now for family, friends and strangers and not because I need to, have to or should do so to escape any wrath from God. I do these things because I want to and I experience great joy in my heart to assist someone in need. Ever since I truly started to listen to the Word of God in what Jesus told me to focus on my life has truly been transformed. No fear of hell did this to my soul. I don't even think about hell or darkness and I certainly do not preach it.

I preach God's Love because I can testify that it has made a significant difference in my life - here and now! I want others to experience this same wonderful feeling. When God's love abides within you, darkness is rarely allowed in, but being human, I am not perfect, but the darkness is felt easily by me now and I enjoy the light of his Love much more.

Not to say that I totally believe that we all shall reap what we sow but if we focus on God's Love and pray for it we truly become more loving human beings and there is much left reaping to be had.

"A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; even as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." - John 13:34.

If the church through nineteen hundred years had only kept this commandment at the forefront of its teaching, what a different world we should have today.

It is only the love prescribed in the new commandment which will make a dent in the hard heart of the world. It is this exalted and purified love practiced by Christians toward one another, which is to bring a lost world to God.

Last edited by SisterKat; 06-18-2010 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Wanted to clarify reap what we sow

Old 06-18-2010, 01:29 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times
Quote:
What did I twist? I never said anything about being blind, ignorant or stupid, did I? All I did was quote scripture. The world will not like what the believer has to say and will hate them. I don't see how your false gospel fits in with those verses.
The purpose of those verses was to give comfort and hope to His followers when they endured the same or similar treatment He received from the barbaric primitives of their day. It is NOT a TEST of the truth of your version of the gospel!!! What unbelievers or the world think about your version of the gospel. . . or how they treat you is NOT proof that your version is the truth!!! That is an unbelievably absurd interpretation of scripture..

Old 06-18-2010, 01:34 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,085,109 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? I'm not trying to "convert" him. I was showing that he, as an unbeliever, is supporting you and agrees with you, but the Bible says that the opposite will happen if you are a follower of Christ. That shows to me that you aren't following Christ because you are following a false gospel.

Well, I can say that you are completely wrong on one thing for sure! I'm a "she" - not a "he!"
I don't understand why me thinking highly of someone would automatically make you think lowly of that person. That's ridiculous! So - if I tell you all the people that I think highly of - I guess you'd hate them all? Interesting!
Anyway, I'm not here to debate. I'm definitely not here to persecute anyone. Every single person on the face of the earth has their own mind and their own beliefs. I do not think it is possible for any 2 people to see exactly everything in exactly the same way. That's what makes things so interesting. I like what Kat had to say - so I told her. I did not mean to cause trouble. When people compliment me, it makes me feel good. One day I realized that people compliment me a lot more often than I compliment them. It's not that I don't think nice things about other people - I was just too shy to say them. But then I realized - if it makes me feel so good to recieve good words - I should start saying good words to others whenever I feel like it! So that's what I try to do now! When I see something I like - I let people know! Maybe it will brighten their day! Spread the love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity