U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 11:36 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,397,085 times

Advertisements

Apparently some think that the thought that God is love is a false gospel.... My question is: WHEN is LOVE ever bad?

Isn't that calling bad what is good?

I just can't imagine anyone seriously stating that loving someone is less important than faith or belief... what is this world coming to?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:52 PM

309 posts, read 295,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Apparently some think that the thought that God is love is a false gospel.... My question is: WHEN is LOVE ever bad?

I just can't imagine anyone seriously stating that loving someone is less important than faith or belief... what is this world coming to?

A great point......Love is important

Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,397,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeallcomm View Post
A great point......Love is important
Furthermore....

"If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen." 1 Cor. 13:13

So loving others IS more important than loving God because without loving others one cannot rightly say they love God whom they cannot see...

So that leads me to believe that most Christians today that find reasons why they shouldn't love other really have no love for God either!

It amazes me the length some will go to to defend their skewed version of religion!

Religion first.. loving others second? WHY?

Thanks for letting me rant!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:07 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,575,817 times
Quote:

Well, I can imagine it because the world is oozing with professing Christians who put love AFTER belief/dogma. Happens all the time, unfortunately .

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. - 1 Corinthians 13:13

Old 06-17-2010, 01:08 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,575,817 times
Quote:
Furthermore....

"If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen." 1 Cor. 13:13

So loving others IS more important than loving God because without loving others one cannot rightly say they love God whom they cannot see...

So that leads me to believe that most Christians today that find reasons why they shouldn't love other really have no love for God either!

It amazes me the length some will go to to defend their skewed version of religion!

POST OF THE CENTURY!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 AM

823 posts, read 1,082,603 times
Quote:
Furthermore....

Kat....this is what made me feel, to be honest, awful inside when I first joined CD.....I was so saddened to witness the lack of love from some individuals.

The average Christian is not pre-eminent in love. The virulence and bitterness of doctrinal controversies among Christians are proof that a large part of current Christianity is formalism, and that hearts may boast of allegiance to Jesus and still remain untouched by his spirit.

God's Love is truly what brings us more at-one with him and each other and is why Jesus told us to focus on Love. Why do so many choose not to listen? I do not know. There is a shift happening and more are listening to what Jesus told us to focus on and that is not a false gospel!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:35 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,114,658 times
Hi Katjonjj,

I found this question on a forum yesterday:
"If God supposedly loves me so much, why would he send me to hell?"

Beautiful and innocent as a child!

Personally, I found that while I was frequenting ET people, I started becoming more and more judgmental. I actually started hating people because they weren't "choosing Christ" like "I did."
When salvation is something we believe we have obtained by our own efforts ("pull yourself up by your bootstraps;" "God helps those who help themselves" mentality) then we can easily look down on others.

What I believe God is starting to show me, after 20 years of His drawing me to Him, is that it was always HE who was working in me. I only "responded" because it was HE who opened my eyes!
Knowing this, I can understand why He is not revealing Himself to all people at this time, only to individuals. He loves ALL of us, and He knows how to save us when He wants to.

Pray about this..

Blessings to you!
brian

Old 06-18-2010, 08:53 AM

702 posts, read 812,638 times
Quote:
Apparently some think that the thought that God is love is a false gospel....
Quote? Citation? Context?

My guess is that when people say this, it could be that they're trying to say that a gospel of all love and nothing else, with no mention of sin, hell or judgment, is another gospel. If that's what they mean, they're right.

Quote:
My question is: WHEN is LOVE ever bad?
It's not. What's bad is omitting vital truths that people need to hear--sin and God's wrath against it. Omitting those truths is NOT love. Not only does it keep people from knowing the danger they are in, but it also cheapens the grace of God. If sin is downplayed, then grace is made to appear not quite as great as it really is. It's only when we realize the full extent of the punishment that Christ saved his people from that we will see how great that salvation is. Someone who trips and is kept from falling a few feet will not highly value the act of someone helping him up. At most he will give a polite "thank you" and move on. But if he is saved from drowning or from a burning building, how much greater will the rescue be in his eyes.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 AM

21,424 posts, read 29,571,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post

My guess is that when people say this, it could be that they're trying to say that a gospel of all love and nothing else, with no mention of sin, hell or judgment, is another gospel. If that's what they mean, they're right.

It's not. What's bad is omitting vital truths that people need to hear--sin and God's wrath against it. Omitting those truths is NOT love. Not only does it keep people from knowing the danger they are in, but it also cheapens the grace of God. If sin is downplayed, then grace is made to appear not quite as great as it really is. It's only when we realize the full extent of the punishment that Christ saved his people from that we will see how great that salvation is. Someone who trips and is kept from falling a few feet will not highly value the act of someone helping him up. At most he will give a polite "thank you" and move on. But if he is saved from drowning or from a burning building, how much greater will the rescue be in his eyes.
Agree!!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,049,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post

Amen, Jremy !!
"LOVE" is speaking the TRUTH !!! And God has shown His LOVE through Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ came to save a world that is infested, sicken with sin and in need of a SAVIOR !!!
Man's love is selfish, self-serving, sensual, covetous, always looking out for #1.... PERIOD !!
Just read the threads in this forum and they show a fine example of false love....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or