Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:57 PM

13 posts, read 49,000 times

Advertisements

I have always had a lot of faith in God and the scripture that He has provided. I have been taught not to argue with the bible and that it should be taken literally. I have lately been trying to reach out to Him more by reading His word and praying. Remembering to glorify him throughout the day. As I am doing this, I feel that my eyes are opening and I am able to see a wider spectrum of things.
I am sorry, I will just get to the point. My husband has just graduated as a biologist and I helped him with a paper on evolution. My job was to study the social aspects of Charles Darwin's life. (I am a sociology major) During my research, I found an article about the Catholic church admitting that they altered the book of Genesis to show that the world was created in 7 days. I have been praying and thinking and reading scripture trying to understand the reasons for this.
I am not Catholic but I know that they have had a large influence in Chistianity today. I was disturbed and hurt after reading this article but at the same time I was relieved because this has been an issue in my marriage. I understand evolution but I have always BELIEVED in Genesis.
My faith has never been shaken this way. Please share your thoughts and help me to understand. Is it possible that evolution is real and that it is God's hand upon it?
Thank you for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 06:11 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaisj View Post
I have always had a lot of faith in God and the scripture that He has provided. I have been taught not to argue with the bible and that it should be taken literally. I have lately been trying to reach out to Him more by reading His word and praying. Remembering to glorify him throughout the day. As I am doing this, I feel that my eyes are opening and I am able to see a wider spectrum of things.
I am sorry, I will just get to the point. My husband has just graduated as a biologist and I helped him with a paper on evolution. My job was to study the social aspects of Charles Darwin's life. (I am a sociology major) During my research, I found an article about the Catholic church admitting that they altered the book of Genesis to show that the world was created in 7 days. I have been praying and thinking and reading scripture trying to understand the reasons for this.
I am not Catholic but I know that they have had a large influence in Chistianity today. I was disturbed and hurt after reading this article but at the same time I was relieved because this has been an issue in my marriage. I understand evolution but I have always BELIEVED in Genesis.
My faith has never been shaken this way. Please share your thoughts and help me to understand. Is it possible that evolution is real and that it is God's hand upon it?
Thank you for your input

Funny that you should have mentioned this b/c me and my wife had that very same discussion. Die hard christians will not see any fault with the bible even with it's inconsistences. I believe that the far right does not give God enough credit for his creation. I do believe in evolution but the difference is that I believe that it was guided by his hand. If you look at the complexties of the human body and how it has constantly changed throughout the ages it makes you wonder. I also believe that 7 days by the human calendar is different than GOD's sense of time 7 days = 7 centuries

Old 06-20-2010, 06:14 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Funny that you should have mentioned this b/c me and my wife had that very same discussion. Die hard christians will not see any fault with the bible even with it's inconsistences. I believe that the far right does not give God enough credit for his creation. I do believe in evolution but the difference is that I believe that it was guided by his hand. If you look at the complexties of the human body and how it has constantly changed throughout the ages it makes you wonder. I also believe that 7 days by the human calendar is different than GOD's sense of time 7 days = 7 centuries
Thats what I believe too -- that evolution was an integral part of Gods creation ......

Old 06-20-2010, 06:14 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Thank you for your input
Welcome to the forum...be patient...by joining, you will be among people who are seekers of the truth...

Blessings...

Old 06-20-2010, 06:20 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Thats what I believe too -- that evolution was an integral part of Gods creation ......
Me too. God's ways are past finding out! Once I was watching a film in a science class about all the great scientific discoveries of man, and I heard an inner voice speak to me and say, "I revealed these great secrets of math and science to man." And I thought - yes, Lord, you sure must have, otherwise I just don't think the mysteries of science and math would have been unlocked without your divine providence."

Science always leaves me more in awe of Him.

Heartsong

Old 06-20-2010, 06:40 PM

13 posts, read 49,000 times
Thank you all for your quick responses! I started crying reading the responses. Praise God that we are not alone! I needed the extra help from His people to understand what was happening in my heart and mind. It is funny that when you get close to God how you can feel and see the changes within yourself and with everything around you.
Bless you all, and THANK YOU!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:47 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your quick responses! I started crying reading the responses. Praise God that we are not alone! I needed the extra help from His people to understand what was happening in my heart and mind. It is funny that when you get close to God how you can feel and see the changes within yourself and with everything around you.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Bless you and thank you too -- we all help each other in our own ways, on this forum I have found that we may not agree on everything but the willingness to ask questions and listen to Gods voice is a start to having the questions answered.........

Welcome to the forum

Old 06-20-2010, 08:14 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,111,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Me, too. I do believe there have been changes in the world and that it's much older than thousands of years, but I don't believe humans descended from apes.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Me, too. I do believe there have been changes in the world and that it's much older than thousands of years, but I don't believe humans descended from apes.
Here is a site about the various views of Judaism and evolution

Judaism and Evolution

Quote:
Prominent Orthodox rabbis who affirm that the world is older, and that life has evolved over time, include Aryeh Kaplan, Israel Lipschitz, Sholom Mordechai Schwadron (the MaHaRSHaM), Zvi Hirsch Chajes. To be sure, these rabbis do not accept the views of atheists, such as Richard Dawkins, who hold that evolution has no room at all for God. Rather, each rabbi taking this position proposes their own understanding of theistic evolution, in which the world is older, and that life does evolve over time in accord with natural law, yet also holding that God has a role in this process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity